Devil Cat Likes Fish

Frizzles7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently upgraded tanks to a 120, and my cat seems to think I got this new tank for her. I have caught her multiple times sitting on top of the overflow, and once even on top of the lights!

Anyone have any suggestions for keeping a cat off of the tank? I already have a screened lid, and yesterday I put tin foil on any of the nearby furniture I think she may be using to jump up there (but tin foil in the living room is not a good long term solution). I don’t want her or my lights to fall into the tank.

Here’s a picture of the offender:
0AA1C044-9272-4ADB-B39F-2E4E4F54B2B7.jpeg

OP
OP
Frizzles7

Frizzles7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are good suggestions. The fan I may be able to do. And perhaps I can convince my husband that we can live with the aluminum foil for a couple weeks.

Any other things I can try?

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the long run, having DevilCat fall into the tank is the best solution. Guarantee you she won't do it again.

I might be tempted to push her in if I had this problem. :) You’ll be there and can minimize any damage, compared to just randomly falling in when you might not be there .

Seriously, the main question is why is she there? Is it because it's the highest accessible point for her in the room? And/or because it's warm underneath? Try to make a better place for her to hang out. Encourage her to go there, discourage her softly from going to the tank after you set up the alternative. (or not so softly, if you prefer intentional immersion :D AKA feline waterboarding).

I found my two cats like always switching around spots in the house. At best it goes in monthly, or annual, cycles. But often they like something for a while, and then it goes out of fashion.

Life will be even better when the fish get used to her. Ref: my post in this thread:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/keeping-cats-off-tank-help.328003/page-4#post-4702794

I have a cat problem too.....

ETA: the only fish in the tank right now are a mated pair of yellow headed jawfish. However, the grey cat (russian with a little tortie) constantly chases them from one end of the tank to the other. They are no longer in their den all the time, especially the male. I think they're eating, but they won't eat in my presence anymore (because of the grey cat......). The grey cat is REALLY interested; the video is nothing compared to what I've seen. Attacking the glass, walking on the cover, etc. Lots of stress for jawfish

The other one (white and brown domestic shorthair cat) doesn't seem to care. She'll sometimes look from a far, but is otherwise unconcerned.

@Caseyoidae : very nice. I might try that, as well as a number of ideas in this thread.

So my problem is solved. See the video (apologies there's no sound. While this was going on I was in a very boring con-call that of course i had to cut out)

In the end, the fish got used to the cat after a few weeks. The cat is hanging out literally in front of the firefish's lair; the firefish just ignores her. The firefish normally spends much of its day outside swimming about and chasing after plankton particles (good), but has no qualms going back to its lair when needed.

ETA rather than bump the thread: Susan's suggestion is a good one as well. You can see I, unintentionally, have given my cat a similar fish watching spot. :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frizzles7

Frizzles7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are some great ideas. Thanks guys! I’ll start trying these and see how it goes.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 25 86.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 6.9%
Back