Keeping cats off tank- help?

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using painters tape doubled over to keep my two at bay. They're about 4 months old and it startles them enough to not go back for a while

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mouse traps.

I have cats. I'm not really that mean, but I've seen others use them to great effect. Usually they just snap and don't attach....

In all seriousness, my cats are obsessed with walking along the back of the tank. We made a home made stand now out of steel, and there's a half foot behind the tank the cats use as a highway now instead of the tank top. When they do cross, well, if they fall in they fall in. No biggie. They'll dry off eventually.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cat problem too.....

ETA: the only fish in the tank right now are a mated pair of yellow headed jawfish. However, the grey cat (russian with a little tortie) constantly chases them from one end of the tank to the other. They are no longer in their den all the time, especially the male. I think they're eating, but they won't eat in my presence anymore (because of the grey cat......). The grey cat is REALLY interested; the video is nothing compared to what I've seen. Attacking the glass, walking on the cover, etc. Lots of stress for jawfish

The other one (white and brown domestic shorthair cat) doesn't seem to care. She'll sometimes look from a far, but is otherwise unconcerned.

@Caseyoidae : very nice. I might try that, as well as a number of ideas in this thread.

Last edited:

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank two weeks ago before I left for vacation. It worked!

IMG_5563.JPG

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cat problem too.....

ETA: the only fish in the tank right now are a mated pair of yellow headed jawfish. However, the grey cat (russian with a little tortie) constantly chases them from one end of the tank to the other. They are no longer in their den all the time, especially the male. I think they're eating, but they won't eat in my presence anymore (because of the grey cat......). The grey cat is REALLY interested; the video is nothing compared to what I've seen. Attacking the glass, walking on the cover, etc. Lots of stress for jawfish

The other one (white and brown domestic shorthair cat) doesn't seem to care. She'll sometimes look from a far, but is otherwise unconcerned.

@Caseyoidae : very nice. I might try that, as well as a number of ideas in this thread.

So my problem is solved. See the video (apologies there's no sound. While this was going on I was in a very boring con-call that of course i had to cut out)

In the end, the fish got used to the cat after a few weeks. The cat is hanging out literally in front of the firefish's lair; the firefish just ignores her. The firefish normally spends much of its day outside swimming about and chasing after plankton particles (good), but has no qualms going back to its lair when needed.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back