Keeping cats off tank- help?

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my cat quite literally shoves her face in the tank ... I’ve tried to capture it a dozen times. She will put her face in the water all the way deep enough until she can see. The fish don’t mind it much and she’s not ever done more than look ... that I’m aware. Wackadoodle

Need to see a pic of this! LOL

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new Savannah kitten... wait for it...

Gorgeous kitty! I have a couple bengals that love water too.
I did have to place the tank where they couldn't find a easy "ladder" for simple entry and escape. They know when they do something wrong.

20160209_232215-2-2.jpg
This was the first and last time this cat would step foot on the tank. I dub this "catfish tank" picture :p

As far as saying NO goes, if it doesn't work another form of NO is using a taser. Not on the cat(!) but the popping sound is enough to get them under the bed for a few minutes lol.

If your cat does like water, I usually setup a bath and put little mechanical fish toys in for them to chase. Eventually, the cats took no interest in my fish or tanks.

Blue Carbon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cats love being up high. It is a sense of security for them. I was going to suggest putting a cat tree somewhere far enough that they can't jump to the tank but someone also made a suggestion of the heating pad. That may be what they are looking for? Are there any other options for the cat to perch up high?

debby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i put 'egg crate' on the openings where one might use a nylon diy screen. she hates to walk on that stuff, but she can still get on top of the lights. She also likes to drink the salt water. go figure. this can has been measured jumping 58" straight up

LED92586

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always had cats. Every time I want to train a cat to stay off tables, counters, etc. I use aluminum foil... they hate it. Keep using it for about a week or two if needed. My cats usually get the hint in just a few days. Good luck.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently discovered evidence of my cat jumping on my light fixture when I am not home (pawprints, anyone?) He's sneaky, he knows he's not allowed on counters or tanks, so he goes when I am not at home or asleep. I have 2 cats, and I always blame one certain one.

Last thing I want is to come home to see the screen broken and a mess.

I don't have anything for him to jump on, he jumps directly from the floor. There's nothing on the tank for him, no fish food or anything

Any ideas how I can keep the cats off my tank when I am not around? it's a 4 ft 75 gallon tank with a coralife fixture and BRS DIY Screen top.

I used to keep an electric pet pad on the couch to keep the dog off. You could probably get something like that to put on top of the light. You'd have to make mods to the pad to allow for ventilation. They are easy to mod and work good. I forgot it was on the couch one morning. I went to sit down with my coffee.... well.. you get the idea. LOL

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine is an Abyssinian. Very athletic. Loves (is obsessed by) running water.

I grew up with an Abby who LOVED running water. It’s DEF a characteristic of that breed. Wicked smart, beautiful breed!! Had I not gone Savannah, I would’ve gotten an Abby. I also have an Ocicat named Tivo.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a problem with cats on the tanks, but if anyone knows how to keep kittens off a laptop let me know. These little guys are relentless.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back