Keeping cats off tank- help?

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you may have to call in Jackson Galaxy on this one lol :)
He could be just trying to seek out the heat from the light.. maybe put a short cat tree by the tank if possible with a pet heat pad. Also hes seems real bored, find the toy that it will always play with. I have 5 cats and 3 of them are bengals... talk about up to no good ALL the time
Also could install like wall shelfs so he can run up high, cats love to be up high..
0d11c3ccb95c09127d910b72da8859a3.jpg

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cat does this too. Especially in the colder months... seems to be warmth the cats are after, mine often takes a snooze on the light. Is there anything around the tank that the cat can jump onto to reach the tank that you could move?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like you may have to call in Jackson Galaxy on this one lol :)
He could be just trying to seek out the heat from the light.. maybe put a short cat tree by the tank if possible with a pet heat pad. Also hes seems real bored, find the toy that it will always play with. I have 5 cats and 3 of them are bengals... talk about up to no good ALL the time
Also could install like wall shelfs so he can run up high, cats love to be up high..
0d11c3ccb95c09127d910b72da8859a3.jpg
Not a bad idea. Could you do a wall shelf above the tank so she can perch and not get to the tank? Removable for tank maintenance.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, some of these suggestions are hilarious!

I got the air can. two of them actually to face in different directions. Lets hope that helps.

I do like the office mat idea. I'll try that if this doesn't help!

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As sad as this sounds, it's probably best that Jorde (tiger) passed a few years before I got a reef tank & that Mack (black) is turning 14 tomorrow & can't jump very high anymore. Or I would be in the same boat as you. Old freshwater tank was in the kitchen & even when everything was cleared at least 5' away from the tank, Jorde would perform acrobatics to get to the top of the freezer & then dive-bomb the tank. After a few years we gave up isolating the tank & left a table & dog crate near enough that at least they weren't hurtling themselves at the tank with quite as much force. Amazingly never broke or damaged anything in 10+ years. Totally different ballgame with a glass top!

Only things that ever (sort of) worked were:
a) fan blowing across the tank (seasonally keeping the cat off the tank ain't much help, but it's something!)
b) peppermint oil -- didn't last too long, but that's probably because the dog was occasionally found licking the stuff off like it was crack if we applied it too low. She was, um, special, like that
c) wait 5-10 more years & you'll potentially have 1 fewer cat & 1 geriatric cat like me ;)

Jorde & Mack Tank.JPG

The Bungulo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tinfoil. Cats hate the sound. Put some on the lighting, and put your cat on top of it. They will learn that the sound is annoying as **** and will stay off. I guess after a few weeks, take it off and see if the cat stays off.

The Bungulo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tinfoil. Cats hate the sound. Put some on the lighting, and put your cat on top of it. They will learn that the sound is annoying as **** and will stay off. I guess after a few weeks, take it off and see if the cat stays off.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps a canopy? My tanks all have canopies. When we had more cats (5) some of them liked to lay on top to enjoy warm spots but caused no issues. They seem too lazy to get up on the canopies that are hard to jump up on (> 6 feet high).

Bruce

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, my cat really IS a hard case. I could list all the things he's done and what doesn't faze him.

tried soda can with pennies.. he's like "meh".
Double sided tape? he just pulls it off as if it's nothing.

I've had to bungee cord my trash can shut and put two bricks on the bottom to keep him from knocking over.
Baby proofed all cabinets.
3x different locks on my fridge and freezer (really, 3 different locks he's broken)
Nailed my sliding closet doors shut (removable nails so I can get in it).
Doubled up on pet screens on my windows.
and I am sure I've forgotten something else with him.. lol.

I tried the air can once long ago.. don't remember the results, but want to try that again on my tank

and no thanks to bird spikes, I don't want to hurt him!

Quick question: are you sure it's a cat? Are you perhaps getting it confused with a pig? The 3 locks on the fridge sounds an awful lot like a pig.

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my cat quite literally shoves her face in the tank ... I’ve tried to capture it a dozen times. She will put her face in the water all the way deep enough until she can see. The fish don’t mind it much and she’s not ever done more than look ... that I’m aware. Wackadoodle

charlesk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three of those monsters. You cannot train a cat, they are evil.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back