Keeping cats off tank- help?

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently discovered evidence of my cat jumping on my light fixture when I am not home (pawprints, anyone?) He's sneaky, he knows he's not allowed on counters or tanks, so he goes when I am not at home or asleep. I have 2 cats, and I always blame one certain one.

Last thing I want is to come home to see the screen broken and a mess.

I don't have anything for him to jump on, he jumps directly from the floor. There's nothing on the tank for him, no fish food or anything

Any ideas how I can keep the cats off my tank when I am not around? it's a 4 ft 75 gallon tank with a coralife fixture and BRS DIY Screen top.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck man, mine still jumps on my tank occasionally even after spritzing her with a water, putting her nose in saltwater, and putting stuff on the tank that she wouldn't want to stand on. She's sort of gotten the jumping on top part out of her system and now just sits alongside the tank on the stand to look at the fish. That doesn't bother me as much.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a tall canopy I don't need to worry about our cats getting on top of my tank. Unless they get a super power and can fly when I'm not home! Lol

They do sit and watch them from time to time.

A Motion sensor with a loud alarm might do the trick to scare them. Then they will learn not to jump up there.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a scat mat before to get him off the counters.. didn't even faze him! come home to see him laying on top of it with the battery dying, lol.

Amotion detector alarm is a good idea.. I've seen one with the air spray, that might work too.

thanks! Let me look into these ideas.

bigroost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a scat mat before to get him off the counters.. didn't even faze him! come home to see him laying on top of it with the battery dying, lol.

Amotion detector alarm is a good idea.. I've seen one with the air spray, that might work too.

thanks! Let me look into these ideas.

lol, you have a regular hardcase. If our cat sees you get close to that thing it gets alarmed, I just imagine him going you know that thing will shock you right?

I've also heard of people using double sided tape, but have no personal experience.

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything that startles the cat - metal soda cans with a few pennies in them that the cat will knock off when she jumps up might help.

Cats also hate double sided sticky tape.

Good luck

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, my cat really IS a hard case. I could list all the things he's done and what doesn't faze him.

tried soda can with pennies.. he's like "meh".
Double sided tape? he just pulls it off as if it's nothing.

I've had to bungee cord my trash can shut and put two bricks on the bottom to keep him from knocking over.
Baby proofed all cabinets.
3x different locks on my fridge and freezer (really, 3 different locks he's broken)
Nailed my sliding closet doors shut (removable nails so I can get in it).
Doubled up on pet screens on my windows.
and I am sure I've forgotten something else with him.. lol.

I tried the air can once long ago.. don't remember the results, but want to try that again on my tank

and no thanks to bird spikes, I don't want to hurt him!

tjnorthdakota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try a hanging kit for the light, or changing lights to something they cant stand on such as kessil. Maybe throw a can of bear spray into one of those motion detecting air freshner units for bathrooms

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe throw a can of bear spray into one of those motion detecting air freshner units

Bear spray? Just what I'd want spraying over my tank... I mean, yeah it might be effective, but really?

:D:D:D

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave the screen off for a day or two. If they take a dip once, they'll never go on the tank again...
Unfortunately that's also a good way to lose some fish when a cat comes crashing down into the tank and they jump out.

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try the basic spray bottle and just put RO in there so it's safe for the tank.. It will take time but you can correct the Behavior.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't let my wife get a cat for this specific reason. To much money invested in my tank to let a cat try digging around in it.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Post a pic of your lighting.

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mats that go on the floor under a desk to a roll desk chair on flipped upside down. Cut the size you want and lay it on top. One jump onto those plastic spikes and they'll learn real quick. I love cats, but they can be tricky.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back