Devils hand question

Sexytang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just picked up a frag of Devils hand today just added it to display tank a few mins before pic does this look like old placement my lighting isn’t to strong it’s in heavy flow tho. Polyps are alrdy coming out within mins of in tank

OP
OP
Sexytang

Sexytang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot pics
01B362B2-0556-49EF-880C-1A3BCC29C1D6.jpeg
39B71C82-7578-49A6-B5C9-F2CE887221F5.jpeg

OP
OP
Sexytang

Sexytang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s actually in direct from of my koralia but polyps are out it’s just blowing over a little

OP
OP
Sexytang

Sexytang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well polyps are gone now idk if it needs time to adjust or to much flow

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will fall over if it’s in trouble. Mine smooths out and looks awful every time I mess with things in the tank etc but it comes back stronger than ever.

They are hardy for sure

OP
OP
Sexytang

Sexytang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if it’s not happy it would deflate and layover I moved it a little sideways today it’s on a peace of clam shell so kinda hard to do anything with. But it’s blowing good and one of the little fingers or whatever is kinda bending etc seem ok? When I came home it had its polyps out but when I moved it they went back in

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
every time I do anything in my tank my polyps retract. As long as it opes up every day with lights on, it’s probably happy

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a little chunk like that about 3 years ago, in a lower flow, low area of my tank. Now I have 4 or 5 8-10" stalks when they're all happy. First thing in the morning, or if they get bumped around when cleaning, they get mad and look like sad wet muddy socks draped over the rock.

OP
OP
Sexytang

Sexytang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the direct flow is bad idea or just see what it does it’s not laying down

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of these...from little nubs that fall off of mother colonies to a colony the size of a basketball.... They can get ***** when they are moved around or disturbed. They will look like they are dead for days at a time. Then poof....they look great. They are also leathers....which means they will slough off or shed skin and look dormant for a while. Totally normal. They are very hardy.... I cant kill them..... It does not need high light....so.... I would move it down towards the bottom of the tank...in a corner somewhere.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be too small to lay down. I'll try and get a pic of mine down in the morning, and up when I get home from work.

I'd stick it down where your Xenia are. Move the rock with the Xenia out from the main structure to isolate it and keep it from spreading, remove any that's spread up the main rock, and then put the Devils hand in just behind it. It'll be a while before it gets tall enough to get marred by the hammer (I think?) above it.

OP
OP
Sexytang

Sexytang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I moved my trumpet to the top of the tank and put the Devils hand in the sand bed where it was it’s hard to move my rock work took me forever to get this rockwork to stay put and sturdy do you think it will be fine in the sandbed. I don’t have strong lighting this is my light on a 36g
All my corals seem fine with it have grown like crazy just wondering if it’s enough light for it that far down in tank

HIPARGERO LED Aquarium Light – Aquarium LED Lights 30W Saltwater Lighting with Touch Control and 3W Cree Chips for Coral Reef Fish Nano Tank

TRIGGER SHARKFIST

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that doesn't get enough flow it won't do very well.

In fact I've found flow is more important than light with leather corals.

When I experimented with low flow my leather corals went waxy and started to deteriorate rapidly.

Mine is in medium flow area. I only have budget LED lighting.

My devils finger and other leather corals are doing well now.

IMG_0169.JPG

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 48 59.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back