Diabolic Pacman

Apisto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to start a thread about a coral I acquired a couple years ago. Because so few reefers got a frag of this acro and now most of those seem to be gone, I thought I would provide a thread to document anyone's success (or failure) with it. The other reason for this thread is that I seem to take more photos of this acro than most of my other colonies and this will provide a place to reference all of those.

As far as I know, the Diabolic Pacman is similar, but not identical to RR Wolverine. Regardless, it is a very slow-growing acro that apparently is much happier in very high light and good flow. It is certainly the deepest, if not brightest, yellow acro I have seen. But, also has the most interesting polyps and low-light base coloration, as well.

One final thing. My colony is doing well, but is still short of fragable. I already have a substantial list and don't want to field anymore, because I have no idea how long it will take before it is ready.

This is a pic of the original frag from ChrisSG that was shown on one of the 2 threads he had. Sorry for the bad pic.

This is another bad Reefbrite LED pic over a year in. I was trying to show the interesting base color set against the yellow tips.

This is a 14K MH pic from a couple of months ago. Again, not a great pic...will we get to good pics? Probably not, because until someone with good camera skills and a DP colony post, we are viewing my pics.:)

And, finally, a T5 pic from a few months ago that shows the nice red polyps against the yellow base color on a high-light portion of the colony.

cultivatedcoral

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my Diabolic Pacman when it was under T-5's. Once it based out it grew fast. Then I dragged the heck out of it to some local guys. I eventually changed to LED's and this coral apparently hates them but is slowly coming around.

OP
OP
Apisto

Apisto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my Diabolic Pacman when it was under T-5's. Once it based out it grew fast. Then I dragged the heck out of it to some local guys. I eventually changed to LED's and this coral apparently hates them but is slowly coming around.

Very nice. I saw this pic well over a year ago and wondered what became of this colony. Sounds like there might be others out there as well, considering you fragged yours numerous times!

rovster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for reference, here's a frag on day 1.

It got stoopid yellow in my tank. I'm talking solid canary yellow.

Unfortunately I lost it due to a freak tank crash. I was able to get my filthy paws on another piece that was in need of some TLC but I won't dare post a pic until it settles in and colors up. It's improved a lot since I got it and the yellow is showing up:wink:

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all goes well I'll have this acro in my grubby little paws in about a month, I've been after it for about 2+ years, ever since SniperSPS teased me with a pic.

Don't even bother asking, Im not revealing anything LOL

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to start a thread about a coral I acquired a couple years ago. Because so few reefers got a frag of this acro and now most of those seem to be gone, I thought I would provide a thread to document anyone's success (or failure) with it. The other reason for this thread is that I seem to take more photos of this acro than most of my other colonies and this will provide a place to reference all of those.

As far as I know, the Diabolic Pacman is similar, but not identical to RR Wolverine. Regardless, it is a very slow-growing acro that apparently is much happier in very high light and good flow. It is certainly the deepest, if not brightest, yellow acro I have seen. But, also has the most interesting polyps and low-light base coloration, as well.

One final thing. My colony is doing well, but is still short of fragable. I already have a substantial list and don't want to field anymore, because I have no idea how long it will take before it is ready.

This is a pic of the original frag from ChrisSG that was shown on one of the 2 threads he had. Sorry for the bad pic.

This is another bad Reefbrite LED pic over a year in. I was trying to show the interesting base color set against the yellow tips.

This is a 14K MH pic from a couple of months ago. Again, not a great pic...will we get to good pics? Probably not, because until someone with good camera skills and a DP colony post, we are viewing my pics.:)

And, finally, a T5 pic from a few months ago that shows the nice red polyps against the yellow base color on a high-light portion of the colony.

outstanding!

OP
OP
Apisto

Apisto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, there are a few still out there. Very cool! I kind of heard most were lost.

Here are a couple of close-ups that show the lower-light base color and interesting multi-colored polyps.

bustayanky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a piece recently from SniperSPS which he called Wolverine 2.0 which kinda looks really similar to Apisto's pictures.

00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000075_zpszyowkpoj.jpg

00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000074_zps2snhhpah.jpg

Last edited:

cultivatedcoral

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright Rovi, glad you still have a piece. Let me guess who gave you the piece in need of tlc, Eric? Haha
Just for reference, here's a frag on day 1.

It got stoopid yellow in my tank. I'm talking solid canary yellow.

Unfortunately I lost it due to a freak tank crash. I was able to get my filthy paws on another piece that was in need of some TLC but I won't dare post a pic until it settles in and colors up. It's improved a lot since I got it and the yellow is showing up:wink:

cultivatedcoral

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice piece. It's funny that this coral was around long before all these Reef Raft Wolverines etc came out. This was probably one of the original yellow acros that is true yellow.

Hey, there are a few still out there. Very cool! I kind of heard most were lost.

Here are a couple of close-ups that show the lower-light base color and interesting multi-colored polyps.

rovster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright Rovi, glad you still have a piece. Let me guess who gave you the piece in need of tlc, Eric? Haha

LOL. Eric's is too small to frag if he still has it. I'll give you one more guess. All I know is I owe someone a TON of beer, haha! It's nice to have friends with similar taste in acros. I hope to be able to return the favor one day. I'm growing an army of delectable stix:D

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all goes well I'll have this acro in my grubby little paws in about a month, I've been after it for about 2+ years, ever since SniperSPS teased me with a pic.

If you end up with two frags ,,,, add one to my frag pack lol :)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

With you on this one I've had my eye on this guy forever it seems! I remember that old pic that wa floating around and it was extremely cool looking. If anyone wants to swap hit me up:)!!!

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, I am not really a stick head but that is a good looking coral.

OP
OP
Apisto

Apisto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a piece recently from SniperSPS which he called Wolverine 2.0 which kinda looks really similar to Apisto's pictures.

00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000075_zpszyowkpoj.jpg

00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000074_zps2snhhpah.jpg

LOL. Eric's is too small to frag if he still has it. I'll give you one more guess. All I know is I owe someone a TON of beer, haha! It's nice to have friends with similar taste in acros. I hope to be able to return the favor one day. I'm growing an army of delectable stix:D

Are these recent photos and how long between pics?...interesting color transitions without too much growth. I have experienced similar in the past.

So, does Hugo have the DP and Wolverine 2.0? And, are these the same as AOA Triton?

Very nice piece. It's funny that this coral was around long before all these Reef Raft Wolverines etc came out. This was probably one of the original yellow acros that is true yellow.

Have to agree with cultivatedcoral here. Before this came along a few years ago, I hadn't seen any other true yellow acros, but then again I wasn't really looking, because it didn't seem like they existed. Now there are quite a few.

Last edited:

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great shots guys - wicked coral. I was able to see apisto's piece on a recent visit - Amazing!! Yellow Yellow Yellow Red

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back