Dialing in flow for a fluval flex 32.5 gal tank

jwesley5480

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a SICCE Extreme sdc pump and a voyager nano 2000. I’ve recently added some LPS and I feel like my flow was way to strong as they had some difficulty opening.

I want am going to remove the voyager and just run the sdc pump and trying to get the right moderate flow for my torch and hammer. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding power settings for this pump on a 32 gallon tank?

I need to make sure the flow is soft enough on the coral but strong enough to prevent detritus build up.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the sicce 2000 in my 15 gallon softie tank, along with an aquamai powerhead.

I have 2 gyres in my 32.

I don't believe in "too much flow". As remarked above, random flow is the best, which is hard to achieve with just one powerhead. Try to set up 2 flows to bounce off of each other, or find a way to make the flow less direct on your corals.

OP
OP
J

jwesley5480

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am new at coral keeping and just do research online for coral care an health. For the hammers and torches I got all research says moderate flow and low flow for my zoas.

So now I had to research flow because there is no direct or exact indication of what moderate flow is. The best I saw was on BRS which said moderate flow is normally x40 tank turn over rate. So with my tank being 32.5 gallons moderate flow should be about 1400 gph for LPS coral.

The sicce sdc can go between 230 to 2200 gph and has programmable currents to alter flow. The voyager 2000 does about 500 gph. The only reason I’m concerned about flow is when I pointed the two ph at each other and set the sdc pump to 30% max speed the hammers and torches wouldn’t open and looked to be struggling. They were not pointed directly at the coral and when I the currents crashed it seemed to whip the polyp too much.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back