Diamond Goby- what's your experience?

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have painfully ugly sand in my 180 gal- diatoms from what I can tell. I'm tempted to grab a diamond goby, but I have bottom dwelling corals.

I've seen lots of conflicting experiences with them. My main concern is keeping them alive and fed, but mostly I'm concerned about coming home from a work trip or something and seeing some prized coral of mine buried thanks to his antics.

Any thoughts? Would love to hear people's experiences

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have painfully ugly sand in my 180 gal- diatoms from what I can tell. I'm tempted to grab a diamond goby, but I have bottom dwelling corals.

I've seen lots of conflicting experiences with them. My main concern is keeping them alive and fed, but mostly I'm concerned about coming home from a work trip or something and seeing some prized coral of mine buried thanks to his antics.

Any thoughts? Would love to hear people's experiences
It will depend on where the goby decides to make it's burrow. Mine goes crazy all day with moving sand, but only in the area around his burrow. I love watching him. he is the busiest guy in the tank for sure.

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya , mine did this the first couple months building multiple caves but once it settled on it’s permanent one it stopped. I have avoided Scolys due to this. You want an established sand bed to support the goby, that being said mine eats like a pig. I’m pretty sure if I threw a chicken nugget in there he would eat it. Between the goby, conchs and nassarius snails my sand always looks clean.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya , mine did this the first couple months building multiple caves but once it settled on it’s permanent one it stopped. I have avoided Scolys due to this. You want an established sand bed to support the goby, that being said mine eats like a pig. I’m pretty sure if I threw a chicken nugget in there he would eat it. Between the goby, conchs and nassarius snails my sand always looks clean.
LOL same here, I have many nassarius snails, 2 different goby's, and a fighting conch, so my sand bed stays pretty clean too.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 137 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back