Diamond Goby

fogcutter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home with a Diamond Goby about a week and a half ago. I did some research before and I know that they can hide for a while before coming out. But it's nearing the two week mark....should I be worried yet?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. That seems like a long time. Any sense of whether it’s been eating or working through the sand?

Please tell us more about your tank.

OP
OP
fogcutter

fogcutter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 90 gallon reef with a standard live rock wall...no predators. Haven't seen any sand piles and I'm fairly sure the Goby just ducked into the rockwork. No ammonia spikes either. I have some emerald crabs but they're pretty slow. Sounds like I might have to write him off.....

jerrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a lid? I lost one about a year ago from jumping out of the tank found his body behind tank stand.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine hid for a little more than a week when first introduced. Then he started coming out. 4 or 5 months later he still does 0 sifting. Just waits for the food. Spends alot of time guarding his burrow, but can usually be seen with his head out of the hole. If ANYTHING comes close to his burrow he's chasing it off. The beta, the tang, the maroons. I'd say give it more time

Aswswild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well mike sifting non stop sun up to sun down. Yes I have lost 1 to the carpet u should have at least saw it once by now

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay the rock work will shift like made if it is not glued or epoxy down and to each other. a rock could have him trapped under a rock and could still be alive. if you want to be sure move some rocks up gently. you would know if he was out and about they filter sand and mound it up and make homes under rocks with the sand. if you are not getting a big nitrate phosphate spike I'm guessing still alive unless you have a real good meat eating clean up crew. unless its a real small young diamond

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back