Diatom? Dino?

rowenaad

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 21, 2021
Messages
363
Reaction score
202
Location
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my tank is ~3 wks old, and recently seeing growth of these brown stuff. Small patches has showed up a few days after i had turned on the light (which is about a week ago) and i think its growing a lot faster these 2 days.

IMG_8022.JPG


I would like to think its diatoms cuz my params are

Salinity: 1.025 sg
Temp: 25 ℃/77 ℉
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 7 (Hanna HR)
Phosphate: 0.05 (Hanna ULR)
Alk: 8.5
ph: ~8.2

I used RODI all time but I have accidentally dropped a stainless steel part last week and found it a bit rusted yesterday, so that can be the source of iron if its diatoms.

However, some part of it does look a bit stringy to me and make me worried if it can actually be dino....

IMG_8025.JPG


Livestock wise I have 2 clownfish, a toadstool, a GSP frag and 2 snails. All of them are doing great and GSP already started to climb up the wall in 3 days.

Any thoughts? thanks
 
Diatoms and it will get wise. Depending on light intensity and photo period.
Thanks for confirming, so it should naturally go away once silicate/iron are exhausted? :confused: Sadly my trochus snail doesnt touch them and still relying on me to feed him seaweed
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new