Diatoms? Dino? (ID help)

whyapollo

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 23, 2011
Messages
39
Reaction score
38
Location
Lubbock, TX
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This comes from a newly setup tank. I had the dry rock and water "cycling" in a container for about a month before add them to the tank. At that time I added the "live sand" (the kind purchased in bags). Few days later, added some fish, and fed heavily. Weeks later, added cheato and pods..
I think that's where I got this brown stuff from. I took a small sample and put it under a microscope and got this video.
Can anyone help ID them?

 
This comes from a newly setup tank. I had the dry rock and water "cycling" in a container for about a month before add them to the tank. At that time I added the "live sand" (the kind purchased in bags). Few days later, added some fish, and fed heavily. Weeks later, added cheato and pods..
I think that's where I got this brown stuff from. I took a small sample and put it under a microscope and got this video.
Can anyone help ID them?

Image looks like diatoms.
 
Link to video, if this helps.



Thanks all for the help!

Did you stain those with something? Dinoflagellates are usually motile (unless dead) - Diatoms usually look more 'symmetric'. Can you show a picture of your tank? (i.e. where did you find them)
 
Here's some pics of what's on the sand. There's also one of a rock closer to the light.
I haven't stained them, I think its the microscope camera that made it so dark.
 

Attachments

  • 20250829_175911.jpg
    20250829_175911.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 47
  • 20250829_175948.jpg
    20250829_175948.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 20250829_180010.jpg
    20250829_180010.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 65

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new