Did I screw up my RODI?

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new BRS 7 stage RODI with booster pump. I used it last week. I have a hose coming from outside temporarily into the unit. This morning I turned on the water briefly, but had a call and had shut off the water. I then turned on the pump and it ran for a few minutes before I realized that I did not have the water turned on. :eek: Will this cause damage to any of the membranes?

Also when turning the flush valve, should I still get water coming out of both the product and the waste lines?

Thanks in advance.

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a booster pump (I have the opposite problem, too high pressure) but the RO/DI unit itself won't be damaged by what happened. If anything took damage it would be the pump, but I guess if it still runs then you're fine.

I get water out both lines when the flush valve is open so I guess that's normal, I just discard all that water.

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It looks to be functioning fine.

I just moved here and it is new construction development. I have no idea about the water quality. I checked the TDS with the included meter and I get 1ppm for the incoming, and 0 ppm for after the RO and after the DI. I wonder if my actual TDS could be that low?

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just moved here and it is new construction development. I have no idea about the water quality. I checked the TDS with the included meter and I get 1ppm for the incoming, and 0 ppm for after the RO and after the DI. I wonder if my actual TDS could be that low?

Short answer… no.

ros3to

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Should be 0 tds after DI. I'd pick up a second tds meter just to make sure just my thoughts tho

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

See if you can find a water quality report from your city or whatever
There are places that naturally have very pure water (like mountain streams, etc)

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be 0 tds after DI. I'd pick up a second tds meter just to make sure just my thoughts tho
It is there and after the RO. I am going to pick up another meter however.

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't knit you can calibrate the meter that is attached to the unit that comes with it. I'm going to pick up a handheld checker.

I just got back into the hobby. I didn't spend enough money yet. :)

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't knit you can calibrate the meter that is attached to the unit that comes with it. I'm going to pick up a handheld checker.

I just got back into the hobby. I didn't spend enough money yet. :)

Can at least verify it’s accurate and replace if necessary.

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can at least verify it’s accurate and replace if necessary.
Well, actually, the TDS meter that came with it had a damage display. It looked like when you press on LCD screen. It’s partially visible at the bottom portion. Both reef supply had sent me another one. I just connected that and I’m getting the same reading as the other meter. So I guess unless there’s something wrong with a probe, it is what it is.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, actually, the TDS meter that came with it had a damage display. It looked like when you press on LCD screen. It’s partially visible at the bottom portion. Both reef supply had sent me another one. I just connected that and I’m getting the same reading as the other meter. So I guess unless there’s something wrong with a probe, it is what it is.

If it truly is >1ppm from the tap it’s not ideal for drinking.

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only drink bottled water, but the water from the tap does taste good. Much better than from New Jersey where I used to live.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone get more gallons than what is stated with their unit (and booster pump)? Unofficially, I'm getting about 7.25-7.5 gallons an hour. Thats upwards of 180 per day on a 150 per day unit.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone get more gallons than what is stated with their unit (and booster pump)? Unofficially, I'm getting about 7.25-7.5 gallons an hour. Thats upwards of 180 per day on a 150 per day unit.

At what psi for your pump and what is the system rated 150gpd at? Youre probably a few psi over which will make more water.

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At what psi for your pump and what is the system rated 150gpd at? Youre probably a few psi over which will make more water.
The pump is at 82. A little over 80., It is the 150 gpd 7 stage BRS. Actually I filled up the Lowes 5 gal bucket and it holds 5 3/4. I'm probably around 170 gpd.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump is at 82. A little over 80., It is the 150 gpd 7 stage BRS. Actually I filled up the Lowes 5 gal bucket and it holds 5 3/4. I'm probably around 170 gpd.
From their site:
  • Source Water Pressure - 50 PSI / Membrane (65 PSI for Water Saver systems)
So it’s 150gpd@50psi.

OP
OP
kken6217

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's the deal. I bought a handheld TDS meter and tested my tap water. 52 ppm.

I then started looking at where the probes are connected to the RODI, and I found out the answer to why I was getting readings in position 1,2,3 of 1-0-0. There is no probe checking the incoming tap water. There is one after the RO, after the second DI, and then after the third DI (final water).

I called BRS and they said I could always move the them. I figured I would leave then where they are. I don't need to know what my tap water is as it is not being used for my tank.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back