Did I start a coral war

  • Thread starter Thread starter Derek B
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Derek B

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 13, 2013
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Location
Springhill Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to feed all my corals every other day for a few months then I decided to feed once a week. Since I switched I noticed my corals started to decline. One Duncan head died and my favia and lepto showed signs of stress. From what it looks like they are stinging each other via the water column. Anyone have this experience and was it resolved. I have now went back to the normal feeding ever other day to see if that helps. I have a hammer,frogspawn,favia,Duncan,jackolantern,bubblegum,red Monti,blasto,and zoas.
 
Chemical warefare in the water column is called allelopathy. It occurs in our tanks daily no matter what you're feeding. The quickest way to help remove some of them is to run carbon and a couple WC's. Im sure if you start feeding heavy again your corals will fluff back up and be happy again before too long.
 
Chemical warefare in the water column is called allelopathy. It occurs in our tanks daily no matter what you're feeding. The quickest way to help remove some of them is to run carbon and a couple WC's. Im sure if you start feeding heavy again your corals will fluff back up and be happy again before too long.


Doesn't that usually just happen with soft corals such as leathers?
 
Do you use activated carbon to clear the water column of these so called coral chemical warfare
 
Doesn't that usually just happen with soft corals such as leathers?

Don't quote me on this, but as far as I understand, softies do more chemically whereas stony corals do more physically - but both will do it.

If your tank is really clean and/or your lighting's a little low, your LPS may simply not be getting enough nutrition without frequent feeding.

You may want to make some extra water changes if you suspect a nutrient or chemical build-up.

Honestly, without a full round of water tests, I would be hesitant to point a finger at anything yet.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new