Die coral

Mdoerschler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I'm pretty new to the saltwater hobby and I've come to the realization that this is are difficulty hobby. My question is I have had my tank up and running for about 4 months and every time I try to introduce coral to it they die. Here is a list of what I'm working with.
-T-8 lighting
-30 gallon tank
o-line rock and live sand
-Back mount filter
-Sg of 1.025
-Nitrates and Nitrites are all normal
-Amona levels are normal
Please help me get this tank to where I can introduce coral.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r !
As said t8s are sufficient.
And no traces of ammonia or nitrite should be present in a cycled tank.
What type of hob filtration?

OP
OP
M

Mdoerschler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need some more information, what are your actual levels? Alk, mag, ca, etc? Other livestock in the tank? Filtration? Flow? Got a picture of your tank? What corals are you trying to introduce?
We need some more information, what are your actual levels? Alk, mag, ca, etc? Other livestock in the tank? Filtration? Flow? Got a picture of your tank? What corals are you trying to introduce?
Welcome to r2r !
As said t8s are sufficient.
And no traces of ammonia or nitrite should be present in a cycled tank.
What type of hob filtration?
I have a back mount filter that I turned into refugium. My levels according to my local fish store is great for adding coral. All my levels are normal they said.

20191122_082504.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mdoerschler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to my local fish store my water parameter are perfect for coral. Do you know where I can get my water tested, thats more detailed?

20191122_082504.jpg

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mdoerschler
My recommendation is to go out and purchase your own test kits. This includes ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, calcium, alkalinity and magnesium to start. You need to keep track of these levels until you start learning your tank.
Do you have a powerhead or a wave pump circulating the water in the display? What type of lights are you using and what is your lighting schedule? These questions are all pertinent if you are trying to keep coral. If it was a fish only tank we would be having a different discussion. Let us know, we are here to help.

PS- anytime a local fish store says to you that your water is “perfect for coral,” take that answer with a grain of salt, no pun intended. You need to conduct your own tests and research if you are getting serious about coral

OP
OP
M

Mdoerschler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mdoerschler
My recommendation is to go out and purchase your own test kits. This includes ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, calcium, alkalinity and magnesium to start. You need to keep track of these levels until you start learning your tank.
Do you have a powerhead or a wave pump circulating the water in the display? What type of lights are you using and what is your lighting schedule? These questions are all pertinent if you are trying to keep coral. If it was a fish only tank we would be having a different discussion. Let us know, we are here to help.
I have power head and I take my water to be tested at a local fish store, where I buy my fish from. They told me my aquarium is ready for coral. My light is a t8 and I'm thinking I need a t5. I have given a picture to see if you can help me.

20191122_082504.jpg

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully this doesn't sound too harsh, but it's good to remember that any lfs is there to make money. Some do it by giving you good advice, most will share some knowledge to make a sale, and some will lie to make a sale and sell at any cost. Hopefully you found one willing to give good information but keep in mind if they say "oh your water is perfect add all this" if the stock dies and you come back to buy more and more they make more money, this is why I'm leary of any lfs recommendation without specifics. I have had many stores lie or give bad information just to make a sale. I absolutely recommend getting your own test kits but in the mean time if you take your water to get tested bring a note pad and look at the results with them and write them down. You can then post them here and get unbiased opinions.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To prove their credibility imo, the store should be willing to preform the tests right in front of you/with you and show you what tests they use. You can even fib a little and tell them your interested in buying your own kits and want to see how the tests are done. Then you can write down the specific ones they use and get opinions on how accurate they are and potentially buy them if you like them now that you've seen the test performed.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy salifert test kits, they aren't that expensive and you can pick what you need to test. For starting out with corals I would get Calcium, Magnesium, Alkalinity, and Nitrates. It is important that you have test kits and you know what your numbers are. What if something goes wrong on Christmas Day and the LFS is closed, you need to be able to test and respond to the issue. Also what one person thinks is perfect vs another is very different. Tanks can have different parameters and still be thriving because each system will find its happy place. At the very least you should ask your LFS for what they are testing and what numbers they are getting.

As far as corals what do you plan to start with? IMO I would start with sofites or easy LPS, these are more forgiving of lower to medium strength lights, and water parameters don't need to be spot on all the time. At least this is what I found with my tank.

OP
OP
M

Mdoerschler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully this doesn't sound too harsh, but it's good to remember that any lfs is there to make money. Some do it by giving you good advice, most will share some knowledge to make a sale, and some will lie to make a sale and sell at any cost. Hopefully you found one willing to give good information but keep in mind if they say "oh your water is perfect add all this" if the stock dies and you come back to buy more and more they make more money, this is why I'm leary of any lfs recommendation without specifics. I have had many stores lie or give bad information just to make a sale. I absolutely recommend getting your own test kits but in the mean time if you take your water to get tested bring a note pad and look at the results with them and write them down. You can then post them here and get unbiased opinions.
I'm going today to get it tested and will post results.

OP
OP
M

Mdoerschler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy salifert test kits, they aren't that expensive and you can pick what you need to test. For starting out with corals I would get Calcium, Magnesium, Alkalinity, and Nitrates. It is important that you have test kits and you know what your numbers are. What if something goes wrong on Christmas Day and the LFS is closed, you need to be able to test and respond to the issue. Also what one person thinks is perfect vs another is very different. Tanks can have different parameters and still be thriving because each system will find its happy place. At the very least you should ask your LFS for what they are testing and what numbers they are getting.

As far as corals what do you plan to start with? IMO I would start with sofites or easy LPS, these are more forgiving of lower to medium strength lights, and water parameters don't need to be spot on all the time. At least this is what I found with my tank.
I have try's to introduce zoanthids and anthelia both have died within 3 days.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get APi Test Kits. As Stated above Salifert, Red Sea & Hanna are the kits that most of the people here use & recommend. Are the 2 pieces of Red/orange real coral, They almost look like plastic. You wont find a better place then R2R for answers.
Also
R2R Welcome.jpg

Curtis Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the advice give has been pretty good man. Lighting is not gonna be enough try to find some used equipment. To add coral u need to be able to test your alk calc and mag. Also wonder what filter your using? How are your corals dying? What’s wrong with them when u look at them three days is extremely fast for softies.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think something is going on besides lights. I have read, and i could be wrong, that corals can last a while in lower light. They wont look good, but low light for a short amount of time will not cause death.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back