Differences in Tank After Setting Up Auto-Water Change (AWC)

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reefers. I just embarked on the endeavor of setting up an AWC for my 240 gallon system. I decided to go with the Neptune DOS for it's ease of use (more on that later) and just to see if it will fit the bill for doing my AWC.

I expect that doing the AWC that I will be able to accomplish the below items with my tank:
  • No longer reliant upon stuff like GFO, carbon, NoPox, etc. I do not use that stuff frequently, but do have it available in case needed. I figure sticking to feeding seaweed for my tank has done wonders in assisting with nutrient control. Haven't had to run GFO and my PO4 is where I like it around, 0.1. NO3 is around 10ppm.
  • Even further increased stability. I do not measure every single parameter that you can on my tank. Currently measuring dKH with Alkatronic and it controlling my CaRx. I've never done an ICP test on my system. Maybe one of these days.
  • So I am assuming that by doing more frequent swapping of water (2.5 gallons/day), I will not have to worry about stuff like Red Sea ABCD, etc. (which I stopped using because the expense just doesn't justify the reward). I am going to dose Acropower though 50ml/week.

It would be great to hear some well-though responses to if you have setup an AWC and what have you realized after running it for a bit. Did doing so eliminate you from certain task other than doing a water change?

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about setting up the DOS. It really wasn't that bad setting it up. There are some grips with not being able to prime at setup (at least that I noticed without turning on the outlet manually), but that is something that they can fix with software updates. Overall the process in Fusion is fine for getting it setup. You do have to worry about the pumps rotating correctly on pump 2. It was just easier to manually change pump 2 to rotate the same direction as pump 1 as others have suggested.

I could see the DOS being quieter than it is doing an AWC, but still it is louder than myself and everyone else would like it to be when setup for AWC. The good thing about the DOS is that you can find parts for it if necessary. Nothing seems to be proprietary about the stepper that is used in it.

I wonder is the Dosetronic can be used as an AWC? Now that would be interesting. I know that they have figured out how to quiet the steppers recently.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been doing AWC with the DOS for just over 1 year now. I change 3 gallons daily on my Reefer XL 425 (112 gallons total system, so about 19% weekly).

I still need to keep GFO running to keep my PO4 in check, but that’s likely due to the tiny size of my refugium. I use Red Sea Coral Pro salt and don’t need to dose ABCD.

Luckily my DOS is in my garage by my mixing station, so the noise isn’t an issue inside the house where the aquarium is.

I replaced the DOS heads last month after one full year of duty. They actually didn’t look bad and probably could have run longer, but I didn’t want to risk it.

81509341-617C-465E-85C5-79DFF0EDB562.jpeg

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been doing AWC with the DOS for just over 1 year now. I change 3 gallons daily on my Reefer XL 425 (112 gallons total system, so about 19% weekly).

I still need to keep GFO running to keep my PO4 in check, but that’s likely due to the tiny size of my refugium. I use Red Sea Coral Pro salt and don’t need to dose ABCD.

Luckily my DOS is in my garage by my mixing station, so the noise isn’t an issue inside the house where the aquarium is.

I replaced the DOS heads last month after one full year of duty. They actually didn’t look bad and probably could have run longer, but I didn’t want to risk it.

81509341-617C-465E-85C5-79DFF0EDB562.jpeg

Good to know.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the DOS changing about 2 gallons a day on my 240. I have noticed stable numbers in my tank, not that they were that unstable prior but the big thing was I was doing water changes. Something I didn’t do on a regular basis prior. I feed pretty heavy since I have about 25 fish or so. But my bubble king skimmer and ATS keep up with the load. I think now I might skim a tad bit less but nothing noticeable, but I have noticed growth in the tank. I can’t tell if it’s because of the AWC, increased awareness of the tank, or what. But it’s working whatever it is. I do like having my ALK stable this way. It puts less pressure on the CaRx to keep up.

Corey

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impressive setups, both of you.

Someday... well, probably not.. lol, but let me dream :p

Mine took some thinking on how to get the water to the tank. I ended up using my master bedroom sink for the water source. A few holes later I had water to the tank. I just used some trim to somewhat hide the RO tubing. Nothing fancy, but out-of-sight (at least to me, not so much my wife, lol).

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I see what part of the noise is on the DOS. When mounting with screws (even though I put some furniture pads on the back to try to dampen vibration before even setting it up) it is transferring vibration and almost creating a speaker effect. When I removed it from the mount, it isn't AS loud, but still noticeable (but tolerable for sure). I am going to see if I can find somewhere that someone as slightly modified the inside of the case to dampen the vibration noise even further. Also going to look at mounting with rubberbands around the screw to see if that helps any.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screw it to something flexible. Then screw that to the wall. Like a piece of those kids play tiles used on the floor or conveyor belt or leather.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was running a DOS I ended up putting it in a large Styrofoam cooler lined with noise absorbing foam. It helped quite a bit but I had plenty of room in an unfinished room.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reefers. I just embarked on the endeavor of setting up an AWC for my 240 gallon system. I decided to go with the Neptune DOS for it's ease of use (more on that later) and just to see if it will fit the bill for doing my AWC.

I expect that doing the AWC that I will be able to accomplish the below items with my tank:
  • No longer reliant upon stuff like GFO, carbon, NoPox, etc. I do not use that stuff frequently, but do have it available in case needed. I figure sticking to feeding seaweed for my tank has done wonders in assisting with nutrient control. Haven't had to run GFO and my PO4 is where I like it around, 0.1. NO3 is around 10ppm.
  • Even further increased stability. I do not measure every single parameter that you can on my tank. Currently measuring dKH with Alkatronic and it controlling my CaRx. I've never done an ICP test on my system. Maybe one of these days.
  • So I am assuming that by doing more frequent swapping of water (2.5 gallons/day), I will not have to worry about stuff like Red Sea ABCD, etc. (which I stopped using because the expense just doesn't justify the reward). I am going to dose Acropower though 50ml/week.

It would be great to hear some well-though responses to if you have setup an AWC and what have you realized after running it for a bit. Did doing so eliminate you from certain task other than doing a water change?
Ahh. You caught my attention!!

I am about to embark on finding out if your GOALS are achievable since they are exactly the same as mine. (Stability, No GFO for Lowering PO4, Stable Nitrate (Lower, but Not too low)....And also important TRACE ELEMENTS replenished DAILY.....And a NICE Bonus (Salt reuse).

However, I have another Goal in Doing this Water Change thing. Keep me out of my Display Tanks since mess around too much.

I just am completing my DIY 4 STAGE Doser (Arudino Controller), hooked into my Apex for Sync (ie ATO's off) and Safety Checks.
Using some Kamoer Irrigation Pumps (Which give you about 400ml per minute), so 3 minutes for a 1 Gallon Water change..

2019-05-07_TankMateMEGAwc-COMPLETE-Parts.jpg

This is my Testing Setup before It goes onto the Tanks (TESTING Software right now)

2019-05-09_TestLab.jpg

I have 3 TANKS (2 DT) and (1 Frag) that I'm going to join in DAISY CHAIN.
WHAT I MEAN..is 1 BATCH OF NEW WATER Cascade from Each tank, (Cleanest SPS, down to my Semi-Dirty Mix-LPS), with Frag Tank in the Middle.

LIKE THIS.

2019-04-19_WaterChangerFlow-4Stage-Diagram.jpg

It ALL STARTS from The Water Reservoir, and ENDs at the DRAIN (Bucket for re-use, or down the SINK).

This is the Water Reservoir (my old Scratched up 65 GAL,) under the 35 Gallon FRAG TANK)
One other goal, is this Frag Tank will get Nutrients from the SPS tank (not by overflow/return hookup) since difficult, but from the Cascaded water changes.

2019-04-15-NewFragTank1-IMG_1179.jpg

This is the FIRST STAGE CLEANEST TANK (the 110 Gallon SPS TANK) just Frags. WITH A MAJOR STABILITY PROBLEM (ME!! :) )
P=0.1-0.2ppm N=25ppm
2019-05-17_110GallonSPSoldPhoto.jpg

And this is the LAST STAGE (90 GALLON Mixed LPS) Tank.
When I say Dirtiest. P04=0.8 (yup) and Nitrates=50ppm
2019-05-17_KitchenTank.jpg

About to hook Up all this up in the next week or so, and sit back an Watch.

I Will be checking my Water Parameter to see how things go.
First some Test Frags in the Frag tank....And if things are ok, add more Frags.

The progress will be posted on my Tank thread.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am about to embark on finding out if your GOALS are achievable since they are exactly the same as mine. (Stability, No GFO for Lowering PO4, Stable Nitrate (Lower, but Not too low)....And also important TRACE ELEMENTS replenished DAILY.....And a NICE Bonus (Salt reuse).

However, I have another Goal in Doing this Water Change thing. Keep me out of my Display Tanks since mess around too much.

I just am completing my DIY 4 STAGE Doser (Arudino Controller), hooked into my Apex for Sync (ie ATO's off) and Safety Checks.
Using some Kamoer Irrigation Pumps (Which give you about 400ml per minute), so 3 minutes for a 1 Gallon Water change..

This is my Testing Setup before It goes onto the Tanks (TESTING Software right now)

2019-05-09_TestLab.jpg

WHAT I MEAN..is 1 BATCH OF NEW WATER Cascade from Each tank, (Cleanest SPS, down to my Semi-Dirty Mix-LPS), with Frag Tank in the Middle.

LIKE THIS.

It ALL STARTS from The Water Reservoir, and ENDs at the DRAIN (Bucket for re-use, or down the SINK).

This is the Water Reservoir (my old Scratched up 65 GAL,) under the 35 Gallon FRAG TANK)
One other goal, is this Frag Tank will get Nutrients from the SPS tank (not by overflow/return hookup) since difficult, but from the Cascaded water changes.

This is the FIRST STAGE CLEANEST TANK (the 110 Gallon SPS TANK) just Frags. WITH A MAJOR STABILITY PROBLEM (ME!! :) )
P=0.1-0.2ppm N=25ppm

Nice. This is gonna be fun and frustrating all at the same time, lol

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2019-05-09_TestLab.jpg

LIKE THIS.

P=0.1-0.2ppm N=25ppm

Funny that I came across a guy building his own pumps earlier today. As long as the program is good should be awesome. Did you fabricate the case?

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny that I came across a guy building his own pumps earlier today. As long as the program is good should be awesome. Did you fabricate the case?
Funny you should ask about the case.
For most of my DIY project, I try to reuse the junk I have.
Came across all kinds of things (smaller cases, bIG wooden/plastic ones), but then I came across a Packing insert (STIFF FOAM), that was ideal.
Just the right size (Plenty of room) for the wiring, but the best part is due to the HIGH desnsity of the foam it self heals when I cut it, but flexible enough to push anything through snugly through a starter hole. The pumps, and buttons all go thru with a fine Exact knife X cut (And hold tight)

So if you look again closely, you will notice it's just a RECTACULAR FOAM PACKING INSERT.

And don't worry about the Program being safe. It will be bullet proof. (Has to be since 3 tanks are relying on a perfect water change, even I'm not watching)
Then float sensors are not used for doing the water change volumes. That will be done by perfect calibration.
The floats are to catch any hickups (over fills, or underfills) if something isn't right. (Before ATO's get turned back on).
And if any failure happens, the RELAY on the Controller will send a PUSH BUTTON signal to my Apex, which will pick it up thru the breakout input.
AND THAT WILL EMAIL me to check (why the water change got halted).

FYI. These are the PUMPS (they cost me $25 US each when on sale)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kam...138.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.72984c4dII3sq6

Last edited:

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing @mitch91175

These two links may help you plan your water changes .

This first one is an EFFECTIVE WATER CHANGE Calculator.
https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/EffectiveWaterChange.php
I was surprised to see the results. Comparing a Monthly Water change, to smaller Daily water changes.

And this next link is a GREAT ARITCLE by @Randy Holmes-Farley describing the Impacts of Water changes (on water parameters).
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/index.php
It's kind of a peek on what you can expect when you do water changes. The amount (%) and Periodicity (MONTHLY vs DAILY), vs the impact.

This article is kind of the driver that got me to build my water changer, and the cascading of Water changes between my 3 tanks.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DAPG8GT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JMO but you might be expecting a bit much from a constant water change. I feel the main benefits is you don't have to worry about adjusting alk for a large water change if you run low alk like I do and no need to heat the change water. That's probably thethe most notable benefit I've gotten out of mine the 5 or so years I've been running it. It may affect trace elements etc but I've never added them before and still have the same color/growth.

If you want quiet and don't already have the DOS find a cole parmer brushless pump. It's no noise and has a wide range of flows / heads etc. .. I have an 8 outlet head I can AWC 4 tanks on if I wanted to but only use two slots . I also run my calcium reactor on another single head one

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. The DOS is loud, and the masterflex is quieter and built like a tank. But I’ve had good luck so far with my DOS and I’m pleased with it.
I also don’t add trace elements so I’m not sure the usage of them prior to daily changes too. Either way, I am pleased thus far.

Corey

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back