Different wrasses breeding together?

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've had this male Flame Wrasse and female Pylei wrasse for a while. He didn't show much interest in her at first, just the very occasional display of his glory. However recently, within the last few months I've noticed him becoming more protective of her while constantly trying to court her. In the last couple of weeks there seems to be a noticeable change in her belly. Which is becoming more and more enlarged. At first I though she was just fat, but now I am thinking it could be something a little more amazing.

Has anyone else had experience with this? Does it look like she is carrying eggs?

Thank you,

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think wrasses lay eggs, they're open water spawners, like they shoot eggs into the water and the male fertilizes them, maybe a wrasse expert like @evolved can help me out here?

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along, very cool

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasses are such beautiful fish :D
When I'm upgrading I'm gonna fill my tank with them, right now I just have a pesky six line.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pylei is no longer a female, but rather a male. What you are witnessing is a dominance display. The flame wrasse is the dominant male and is showing the pylei "who is the boss" in the tank.

Cirrhilabrus are broadcast spawners where he eggs are laid and fertilized in the water column.

OP
OP
Troy V

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your replies;)

The pylei is no longer a female, but rather a male. What you are witnessing is a dominance display. The flame wrasse is the dominant male and is showing the pylei "who is the boss" in the tank.

Cirrhilabrus are broadcast spawners where he eggs are laid and fertilized in the water column.

Interesting. Why is his/her belly so distended when no other fish in the tank has this same issue? When the female has eggs do there bellies look distended? Will I start to see a male color pattern appear?

Thank you

OP
OP
Troy V

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your replies;)

Interesting. Why is his/her belly so distended when no other fish in the tank has this same issue? When the female has eggs do there bellies look distended? Will I start to see a male color pattern appear?

Thank you

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The distended belly may be a blockage in the digestive tract.

It is already beginning to show male coloring and they will develop mor and more. The long ventral fins are a telltale sign.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back