Difficult and Special Care Species List

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Ike, Nov 29, 2009.

1. SantaMonica

SantaMonica Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Toys For Kids 2016

Update on ribbon eels: After keeping one for 6 years I discovered that if you allow them a hiding tube that they can fit their whole body into, they will eat most of the time. Took a few years to figure out why, but it became apparent: They know they are long and can be bitten in half easily, so if they are not hidden in a dark tube they will be too scared to eat.

So, of all the people who got a ribbon eel since then, and a tube (like 3/4" pvc) longer than the eel, almost all of the eels started eating (silversides, mollies, etc, fed on a stick).

Unfortunately the escape artist part is still true. Open-center tanks are ok however (euro rim all the way around), because the eel only slides up the walls and never just jumps up out the center of the water.

2. Eienna

Eienna Well-Known Member

Good info!

3. Carlson Moncrief

Carlson Moncrief Well-Known Member

Ive found cowfish to be pretty hardy. Once they start going down hill though theres no turning back.

4. Ike

Ike Well-Known Member

That is very good info, thanks for the contribution!

5. TaniaP

TaniaP Member

Thanks for putting this list together and having it handy for everyone to read! Can't say you didn't caution/warn us. I am a newbie so a lot to think about...

6. reif119

reif119 Active Member

Going to get a lawnmower blenny to conrol algae

7. Marshall O

Marshall O Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

What size tank? They don't always eat prepared foods, and can get mean as they mature.

8. reif119

reif119 Active Member

20 gal with sump (fuge and skimmer. I would also be prepared to feed algae from fuge. Also do you think they would eat algae wafers?

9. Shep

Shep Acan Connoisseur Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Partner Member

Great thread, its always nice to know what you are getting into when you want to buy a fish. I keep seeing people post about how they had never had any problems with (Insert fish here) but its important to remember you might have the exception to the rule.

10. Shep

Shep Acan Connoisseur Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Partner Member

Also with orange spotted tilefish, I know they are Specialized coral polyp feeder but would it be possible to trick them into eating prepared foods by putting a paste like food on a coral skeleton? I have always wanted to have a tank with them but I am going to hold off until I find lots of experiences with other people getting them to eat and thrive.

11. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor

I have heard a few of such experiences. The magazine Tropical Fish Hobbyist had an article on this method about 4 or 5yrs ago. It is just a pain in the neck to do it daily.

12. misael888

misael888 Well-Known Member

Tagging along!!! Awesome thread.

13. Shep

It would be a pain but its something I would be willing to try it allowed me to keep these amazing fish.

14. lsudiva

lsudiva Member

Thank you for the great generalized lowdown on different fish! There is so much bad information out there, and it's always great to have an honest list.

For those of you saying that you personally know of exceptions, of course there are always exceptions to every rule. I've been in and out of the hobby for the past 20 years or so, and I've seen an exception to every rule in the book, and even housed a few myself along the way. Every single tank is different and it's own ecosystem that varies as much as 2 identical fish from the same species can. They're individuals as well.

All of that being said, I've taken known, educated risks in the past, and several with astounding success. The key is known and educated risks and being willing to take proper steps to intelligently achieve said goal. This list is a cheat sheet of sorts as a basis for further research.

15. Marshall O

Marshall O Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Too small of a tank for one unfortunately, both because of their diet and due to their aggression. Look into smaller members of the Escenius genus, like a Tailspot Blenny.

16. Choptrucks

Choptrucks Member

I've got 2 bristle tooth tangs and they have plenty of natural algae to feast on!! Lol but it is very true they need nutrients in the aquarium to eat on the live rock!! But the new era discs marine grazer is a life saver! They go crazy for those discs!!!!!

17. lsudiva

lsudiva Member

Not sure how your DIY fish trap is made, but I've been successful in the past with partially burying a fairly large piece of PVC homemade trap with food inside it at night. I've used a red filtered light (they don't seem bothered by this like white or blue lighting), and manually springing it.

18. acesfull44

acesfull44 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Thank you so much for this thread. Really helpful to the novice, and the more I know about compatability, care, habits, etc, the better chance I have of not making a massive mistake:smile:

19. jmowbray

jmowbray Member

A far as I know Amblygobius rainfordi does not do well even with an established sand bed. The one I had had full access to an established SB and as soon as the hair algae ran out he was slowing wasting away to the point where his stomach was caved. I made the decision to adopt him out to another local that had a big hair issue. Once there he fattened back up. Not sure where he is now.

20. Reef Fever

Reef Fever Well-Known Member

i successfully keep a multibar angel; however much forethought went into tracking down a properly, region specific, collected specimen; and an extensive isolation/QT was implemented to ensure the fish was eating everything I offered it. Not an impossible fish, but **** near it for the novice, and even those with much experience. My favorite fish by far however..