Dino or what?

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. That’s cool. We just came back from Shenzhen via the new high speed rail last week. Should meet up next time you’re here. Nothing wrong with meeting someone from the internet.... right?;Woot
Ha ha . Will send you anping when am there. Am going end of july early august.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha ha . Will send you anping when am there. Am going end of july early august.
I met a couple of people on this forum and we regularly go to “fish street”. In fact just met up with one friend here yesterday and both of us got some new fish.

OP
OP
ktaylor88

ktaylor88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what your wanting to run in it. Carbon, gfo, biopellets. I like running carbon in one instead of a bag easier for me
I’m here looking for advice, lol. As in I’m lost. With only 4 small fish and one small GSP, which by the way has went crazy today and finally opening up and getting green tentacles. With such limited space what would be the best options to put back there.

Filthybum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m here looking for advice, lol. As in I’m lost. With only 4 small fish and one small GSP, which by the way has went crazy today and finally opening up and getting green tentacles. With such limited space what would be the best options to put back there.
I’ll be more than happy to help. I run carbon in mine it’s an innovative marine mini max. I run carbon in it to keep my coral toxins low in my tank and keep water clear and the smell down. With you having limited space you can run a skimmer on one side and a media reactor in the other. You can also put filter floss to catch larger waste so it can be removed from your tank

OP
OP
ktaylor88

ktaylor88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend, here is my advice,
This post is about dino, you got your answer. Its not.
Now if you have other questions I will be more than happy to help so ad many others, but my advice is to have a seprate thread so it attract the right people and you do not get confused by all these divers openions about dino.
This way you conteoll the narrative of your questions better.
By all mean whenever you do that call me to the post i will help you, but we will need to start fresh and clear so I understand exactly your system before giving you arvice.
Your call.
Understood, which corner do I stand in for my timeout, lol. In the meantime I’ll try to put together an appropriate thread in hopefully the correct forum and look forward to yours and anyone else’s advice that will contribute Thanks again. Kevin

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood, which corner do I stand in for my timeout, lol. In the meantime I’ll try to put together an appropriate thread in hopefully the correct forum and look forward to yours and anyone else’s advice that will contribute Thanks again. Kevin
Oh man that was not my intention at all. I am trying to help you. I really am.
This is your post, your thread and your system. It's all about you not about us...
I have seen relavent titles bring relavent people to your thread which means relavent suggestions...

OP
OP
ktaylor88

ktaylor88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man that was not my intention at all. I am trying to help you. I really am.
This is your post, your thread and your system. It's all about you not about us...
I have seen relavent titles bring relavent people to your thread which means relavent suggestions...
I was giving you a hard time , I’ll try to get a new one started Wednesday when I get back home.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was giving you a hard time , I’ll try to get a new one started Wednesday when I get back home.
You can ask whatever you want on this thread, it’s yours after all. But I think what he meant is that starting a new one will ensure more timely and concise answers.

Btw, I was born in southern Illinois and watched many cardinals games. A big Blues fan too fwiw.

OP
OP
ktaylor88

ktaylor88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had bought a different tank but I’m now stuck with this so I have to try and make it work. Don’t get me wrong it’s a beautiful rimless tank with 1/2” thick glass.

OP
OP
ktaylor88

ktaylor88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet, I got home and it looked like this last night. It definitely looks like diatoms to me.

F7399C0C-9254-4B50-B5DC-565CAEB73440.jpeg

23C56FBB-6DCA-4062-9CBB-E59573F804F0.jpeg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this stage, I would just think of it as a step along the "uglies" path. If I understood correctly -- starting with dead sand and dead rock -- just keep up on your normal water changes and go with the flow.

I will second the advice of others: don't go trying to "fix" a natural balancing process. At this stage, it really does not matter much what it is. If your water remains stable, something else will begin to compete and ultimately out compete.

Running carbon never hurts. Supplementing the bacteria colony not harmful either. Don't add any expensive (or stony) corals until at least 6 months or you see some coralline algae.

If you don't keep test kits yet, have your LFS check the basics: salinity, nitrates, phosphates.

Otherwise, enjoy the process.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back