20201222_214117.jpg

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe. That was pretty quick kill though
To be fair I can’t hold my breath for an hour either. I would keep some flow going. Cutting off a hob is fine but no water movement is deadly. Read threads on power outages of reefers without battery backups and can find instances of quick crashes.

in addition I thought ammonia may have been .25 and nitrite .5. Very hard to read API IMO.

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair I can’t hold my breath for an hour either. I would keep some flow going. Cutting off a hob is fine but no water movement is deadly. Read threads on power outages of reefers without battery backups and can find instances of quick crashes.

in addition I thought ammonia may have been .25 and nitrite .5. Very hard to read API IMO.
Its because of lighting. And I could see the temp dropping killing things off quick with no power, but with no flow/filter seems a little quick. Idk.

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any prime available? Your ammonia test looks higher than zero to me but it’s hats not gonna kill everything and I just put fresh water in after tests I don't have prime

Do you have any prime available? Your ammonia test looks higher than zero to me but it’s hard to say.
I say zero because its not any readings on the card, it might be like a smidge over 0 but thats not gonna kill everything. I don't have any prime but I did top off after tests

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impossible to say but I would take a guess. Your dinos look like they may be ostreopsis which is the most toxic of dinos (not to fish but to inverts/coral). My suspicion is the black out caused the ostreopsis to go in to the water column (they will be back if so unless you're running UV). That is probably what killed the inverts. I agree with others that suggest oxygen depletion as the cause of the fish deaths. If you aren't doing it I would run some GAC to try and protect whatever inverts and coral you have now.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be frank. No flow and water movement will very quickly kill a tank. If your power goes out, keeping flow going is priority #1 and tank heating comes in later. 1 hour without flow can kill but a tank can drop 5-10 degrees in 24 hours and pull through.

the ammonia reading is above zero and ammonia at any level can quickly become toxic. Higher ph increases ammonia toxicity Prime to detoxify and additional air are critical.

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impossible to say but I would take a guess. Your dinos look like they may be ostreopsis which is the most toxic of dinos (not to fish but to inverts/coral). My suspicion is the black out caused the ostreopsis to go in to the water column (they will be back if so unless you're running UV). That is probably what killed the inverts. I agree with others that suggest oxygen depletion as the cause of the fish deaths. If you aren't doing it I would run some GAC to try and protect whatever inverts and coral you have now.
I just picked up a uv sterilizer tonight and I did get ill so I also believe it to be the ostreopsis. I am running GAC. Ty

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be frank. No flow and water movement will very quickly kill a tank. If your power goes out, keeping flow going is priority #1 and tank heating comes in later. 1 hour without flow can kill but a tank can drop 5-10 degrees in 24 hours and pull through.

the ammonia reading is above zero and ammonia at any level can quickly become toxic. Higher ph increases ammonia toxicity Prime to detoxify and additional air are critical.
Oh ok. I have my equipment linked to alexa so I believe when I told it to turn everything back on it either didn't hear me or malfunctioned. So I will definitely start making sure that they get turned on. Thank you

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If oxygen depletion was the cause, I must be very lucky. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve forgot to turn the pump back on after feeding. Likely 40 times in the last 3 years. Sometimes for several hours before remembering. Sidetracked with the kids, Dinner and a movie, and then “Oh crap” I forgot to turn the pump back on. Very sorry for your losses. Hope you get it figured out. I did lose half of my fish population after a huge bacterial bloom: and we know what bacteria can do to oxygen levels. Ammonia spiked through the roof. Wife decided to dump 3 years worth of food in the tank. Next set up will be automated with feed mode. No more forgetting.

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If oxygen depletion was the cause, I must be very lucky. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve forgot to turn the pump back on after feeding. Likely 40 times in the last 3 years. Sometimes for several hours before remembering. Sidetracked with the kids, Dinner and a movie, and then “Oh crap” I forgot to turn the pump back on. Very sorry for your losses. Hope you get it figured out. I did lose half of my fish population after a huge bacterial bloom: and we know what bacteria can do to oxygen levels. Ammonia spiked through the roof. Wife decided to dump 3 years worth of food in the tank. Next set up will be automated with feed mode. No more forgetting.
Goodness. And yes I've forgot to turn the pumps on multiple times as well, thats why I was so thrown off I suppose. All the wrong things happen at the right time and boom disaster. I will be more aware in the future for sure.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back