Dino poisoning??

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Everything was fine my fish were out and I fed them and left the filter off for an hour and turn the lights on and my fish are dead there's these worms everywhere. Doing water tests now.

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was everywhere, I turned the lights off for a day and a half and they died

Right, you need to work on your explanation of what's been going on then.

If you had dinos and did a black out, now with the lights back on, I highly doubt fish will die from poisoning.
Thousands of people have done this and fish haven't died, including myself, I did 4 days full black out with bad dinos.
Snails can die from dino's, but I've never heard of fish.

Almost certainly something else is going on if your fish just randomly died for no obvious reasons.

Sorry, cannot help further with such limited information, but I would bet a lot of money it's not dinos.

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, you need to work on your explanation of what's been going on then.

If you had dinos and did a black out, now with the lights back on, I highly doubt fish will die from poisoning.
Thousands of people have done this and fish haven't died, including myself, I did 4 days full black out with bad dinos.
Snails can die from dino's, but I've never heard of fish.

Almost certainly something else is going on if your fish just randomly died for no obvious reasons.

Sorry, cannot help further with such limited information, but I would bet a lot of money it's not dinos.
Fish and shrimp. Ok what information do you need??

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know test results but assume it was an ammonia spike due to inverts dying. Always run fresh carbon when treating for dinos as they release toxins. Additional aeration, carbon and a wc would be advised. Sorry for your loss...

edit: dino toxins will not kill fish but can kill inverts fairly easily

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what my tank has had for a couple of weeks before I cut the lights. Its disappeared since no lights. It was everywhere.
dinoflagellate.jpeg

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worms look like detritus worms... How quickly did everything crash? Do you have flow besides the filter when you shut it off to it a

Worms look like detritus worms... How quickly did everything crash? Do you have flow besides the filter when you shut it off to feed?
Within a couple of hours. Like 3. No I turn off all flow when feeding

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The positive nitrite reading indicate a possible ammonia spike. Nitrite isn’t toxic in reefs but a large presence is suspicious. I keep my filter off for no more than 10 minutes and 3 hours with no flow can cause issues... not sure if it’s enough to crash a tank.
Investigation can come after action in this case... WC and carbon. Remove the dead.
#reefsquad can help

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is at 78 degrees. Nothing has changed except shutting the lights off. Not dosing anything or supplementing. I keep things pretty routine.

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The positive nitrite reading indicate a possible ammonia spike. Nitrite isn’t toxic in reefs but a large presence is suspicious. I keep my filter off for no more than 10 minutes and 3 hours with no flow can cause issues... not sure if it’s enough to crash a tank.
Investigation can come after action in this case... WC and carbon. Remove the dead.
#reefsquad can help
Ya the filter wasn't even off for 3 hours. I don't see anything else dead anemones look fine, the blenny i took out and put in a pitcher of fresh saltwater, he's holding on barely, topped off the top with rodi salinity is 1.025. I just don't understand

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying ALL flow was shut off for 3 hours? That should not cause a crash but that looks like a mass death event, with oxygen depletion. I hope I am wrong but something suffocated those worms which generally can tolerate a lot.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying ALL flow was shut off for 3 hours? That should not cause a crash but that looks like a mass death event, with oxygen depletion. I hope I am wrong but something suffocated those worms which generally can tolerate a lot.
I wonder if a mix of no lights for photosynthesis and no pumps for flow just suffocated the tank...

powerhead aimed at the surface can help in air exchange

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Those were bristleworms and for dino- lights off does/did diminish them until you have them on continuously again.
Although I have No faith in API test kits, the readings all show high
Take a good sample of water to a trusted LFS and have them test water for you for comparison and verification of your results.
Are you using tap water from faucet or RODI water ?
Reduce overall white light intensity

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying ALL flow was shut off for 3 hours? That should not cause a crash but that looks like a mass death event, with oxygen depletion. I hope I am wrong but something suffocated those worms which generally can tolerate a lohe filter and all flow was off for an hour maybe a little more no more than 3. I also have a bubbler in there thats usually on low.

Thats what I don't understand. Yes everything was off no powerheads no filter with no flow for around an hour or 2. I have a bubbler as well thats usually on low that was off.

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those were bristleworms and for dino- lights off does/did diminish them until you have them on continuously again.
Although I have No faith in API test kits, the readings all show high
Take a good sample of water to a trusted LFS and have them test water for you for comparison and verification of your results.
Are you using tap water from faucet or RODI water ?
Reduce overall white light intensity
Nothing was high? Only nitrite at .25 which is always 0.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back