Dino x has more or less wiped out my tank

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had a massive Dino's outbreak so I dosed Dino x and it got rid of all the snot-like algae with bubbles on the rock work.

However, it seems to have severely damaged all the corals in my tank. My candy canes are literally falling to bits the hammers are looking really upset. Also, a lot of sps frags have turned white and died or browned out completely.

I tried following the instructions exactly and dosed 15ml into my reefer 350 every second day. I started the first dose with a blackout and then kept the lights low for the following doses. I did 4 doses in total over a week.

I then waited two days and did a 30% water change and added fresh carbon and poly filter to try and rid the tank of the dino x and any toxins.

It's been a few days now since I stopped the dino x and performed the water changes but no signs of recovery. A lot of the corals have continued to decline and die.

The worst part of it is that did not clear the dino's fully from the sand bed. This seems to go away a night and come back when the lights are on bit its still there.

What the heck did I do wrong? Even one of my fish took ill and slowly died during this process an Azure damsel that I had for years.

And is there anything I can do to help the tank? Water changes have made no difference.

If it was not for the second tank still running that has frags of most of what I lost Id probably just jack it in.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. I went through something similar but with flatworms. I didn’t realize just how toxic the little demons were and accidentally killed all my fish and every sps frag in the tank. Dinos on top of being disgusting to look are also VERY toxic which is why reefers usually freak out when it takes over. Run some extra carbon and multiple water changes over the next few days.
Just curious, did your sps start to bleach before or after the water changes?

OP
OP
The Opinionated Reefer

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. I went through something similar but with flatworms. I didn’t realize just how toxic the little demons were and accidentally killed all my fish and every sps frag in the tank. Dinos on top of being disgusting to look are also VERY toxic which is why reefers usually freak out when it takes over. Run some extra carbon and multiple water changes over the next few days.
Just curious, did your sps start to bleach before or after the water changes?
They browned out during the treatment and started to bleach after the water changes. The process is still ongoing almost a week after I stopped dosing the dino x

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure as I have never used Dino-X but it is in effect, an algaecide of sorts and has harmed lots of folks corals in the past. The good news is what you have left is probably ostreopsis dinos, they come and go with the light, and can easily be taken care of with reduced lighting and a UV.

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that, Dino X had a similar effect on my tank. I think I only lost one or two corals, but all of my SPS browned out. I’m just now starting to get the color back on my rainbow and sunset montiporas about a year after dosing Dino X. Also like you, it didn’t even completely get rid of the dinos.

Dino X is only effective on certain types of dinos, are/were you able to confirm which type you have? If they disappear at night you may be better off with a blackout and/or UV treatment. There are a few large threads on here about identification and treatment.

OP
OP
The Opinionated Reefer

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go to my youtube i made a video showing the before and after the dino treatment. When I made that things weren't too bad but a lot of the corals have died or are in the process of dying since then.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back