Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't kill them by nuking tank! Awful things.. truely awful.

mandrieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If some company figures out a way to kill all forms of dinos without having to nuke your tank, they're going to make a lot of money.
Yes. They could charge me whatever they want for a bottle of the "magic dino killer". I would gladly pay. Putting together the money I've spent and the aggregated time (it has to be in the range of months adding the individual hours by now), it's probably in the 4 figures range

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Claps hands) Yay!

Two trailer park Dino's swim round the outside, round the outside, round the outside....

Guess who's back?
Dino's back...

Needless to say my heart sank..

And now I'm fed up.

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the club no one wants to be a member of.

Not a proud member of this club either[emoji35] It's annoying that even if they are under control you know they are just lurking ready to go crazy. I'm glad vibrant seems to be keeping mine in check. Seems like a lot more people are getting these things nowadays.

Fr4nkthet4nk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a proud member of this club either[emoji35] It's annoying that even if they are under control you know they are just lurking ready to go crazy. I'm glad vibrant seems to be keeping mine in check. Seems like a lot more people are getting these things nowadays.
I ordered mine yesterday.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if any companies are seeing these dinos threads and if they are working on a fix or not.

Salty Pickle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20170315_222403858.jpg

IMG_20170315_214802253.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Identified as Prorocentrum species

I have decided to go the dirty route and try to leverage biodiversity and microfauna against the Dino's. This is what I have done thus far:
Put 10lbs of aquaculture live rock from KP aquatics in the sump.
Added chunks of rock from 3 different stable systems from club members who's systems that have been up and running for many years w/o issue.
Added 10,000+ live Tigriopus, Tisbe, and Apocyclops Copepods to the sump and display.
Adding Live Phytoplankton strains (Nano, Iso, Tet, and Thal) 4x per week
Everything else is off line (GFO, BP, Skimmer) except carbon.
Filter socks removed so the phyto and copepods do not get filtered out.
Increased Feeding mysis in the morning and LRS in the evening
I have also switched from RS pro salt to Fritz (issue with availability)
Corals still very happy, only maintenance I am doing is to blow off cyano and/or dinos that start to head towards the corals.

Since doing all this (8 days)
There are 1000's of tiny feather dusters springing up everywhere, and I mean everywhere, back wall, rocks, sump, glass, you name it. Its amazing what starts to grow on things when you stop obsessively cleaning. Cyano, Briopsis, and Hair algae is starting to grow, and its freaking me the ef out.
(Portion of back wall)
IMG_20170403_153659714 2.jpg

The Dino's seem to have changed behavior as well. Instead of covering EVER square inch of the sand, there are now spots of white sand showing and the Dino's are forming a blob that flops in the current as opposed to long delicate strands. I have not seen bubbles in about a week. I threw multiple samples under the scope again and they are still very much alive, just acting different.
IMG_20170403_154325977 2.jpg
IMG_20170403_154804279.jpg

GHA starting to take hold
IMG_20170403_153828449 2.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, this is bryopsis
IMG_20170403_162212699 2.jpg

I have no idea what any of this means but things are definitely changing in the tank. I am going to stay the course and see what happens. Anybody have any input, questions or concerns?

Last edited:

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Identified as Prorocentrum species

I have decided to go the dirty route and try to leverage biodiversity and microfauna against the Dino's. This is what I have done thus far:
Put 10lbs of aquaculture live rock from KP aquatics in the sump.
Added chunks of rock from 3 different stable systems from club members who's systems that have been up and running for many years w/o issue.
Added 10,000+ live Tigriopus, Tisbe, and Apocyclops Copepods to the sump and display.
Adding Live Phytoplankton strains (Nano, Iso, Tet, and Thal) 4x per week
Everything else is off line (GFO, BP, Skimmer) except carbon.
Filter socks removed so the phyto and copepods do not get filtered out.
Increased Feeding mysis in the morning and LRS in the evening
I have also switched from RS pro salt to Fritz (issue with availability)
Corals still very happy, only maintenance I am doing is to blow off cyano and/or dinos that start to head towards the corals.

Since doing all this (8 days)
There are 1000's of tiny feather dusters springing up everywhere, and I mean everywhere, back wall, rocks, sump, glass, you name it. Its amazing what starts to grow on things when you stop obsessively cleaning. Cyano, Briopsis, and Hair algae is starting to grow, and its freaking me the ef out.
(Portion of back wall)
IMG_20170403_153659714 2.jpg

The Dino's seem to have changed behavior as well. Instead of covering EVER square inch of the sand, there are now spots of white sand showing and the Dino's are forming a blob that flops in the current as opposed to long delicate strands. I have not seen bubbles in about a week. I threw multiple samples under the scope again and they are still very much alive, just acting different.
IMG_20170403_154325977 2.jpg
IMG_20170403_154804279.jpg

GHA starting to take hold
IMG_20170403_153828449 2.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, this is bryopsis

I have no idea what any of this means but things are definitely changing in the tank. I am going to stay the course and see what happens. Anybody have any input, questions or concerns?

[/QUOTE]
The trick will be if dinos do get out competed, bringing the nutrients back down to cut back on the cyno, Gha, etc without sparking the dinos back up. Keep us posted! Btw awesome plate coral!!!

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my species, Ostreopsis I believe!

IMG_5875.JPG
IMG_5877.JPG

Put in the first dose of Vibrant 16hrs ago and there is no trace of them on the rocks three hours after the lights came on, definitely no stringy bits adhering to some corals...interesting!

mandrieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if any companies are seeing these dinos threads and if they are working on a fix or not.
I haven't seen companies like Seachem and the like doing anything. Then there's the Fauna Marin (Dino-X) and Vibrant companies, all serious people, targeting pest algae and dinos by extension, but we know the results. And then, all the "bacteria treatment" companies that basically work on the concept of "starving dinos to death" by outcompeting for nutrients.
In short, I'm not aware (but I could be easily wrong) of anybody working on a "remedy or medication" for dinos, (sort of antibiotic) that targets dinos specifically and leaves most other things alone. It's as disappointing as surprising to me, given how big and generalized of a problem this has become. I can see lots of people abandoning the hobby because of this plague.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure a lot of companies are looking into it but let's remember what we are trying to kill here... This is the equivalent of treating cancer in humans: We are trying to kill one of the most resilient organisms known to earth WITHOUT wiping out our tanks... Even people that dump bleach in their tanks and do a reset have this show up months later. I think any company that puts a ton of time and money into this venture is putting themselves at serious risk of no payoff.

wyattray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had a serious reduction of Dynos, but I think its just from a daily 5 gallon siphon into two filter socks, or its me running the tank dirty. But its still the same, they are still there if I stop my daily routine than they will come back. Im not enjoying the tank as much as I should and my luck they will come back if I just reset.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I don't see any more dinos in my display after I stopped messing with it and kept the tank as stable as possible. I had an explosion in my second tank after adding a sandbed and moving some rock from my display (when I still had visible dinos) and again after keeping it as stable as possible they are dwindling. I should also not that I added refugiums to both of these tanks that are lit opposite to the display.

mandrieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure a lot of companies are looking into it but let's remember what we are trying to kill here...
Hi hope you're right. I'm not aware this is the case though
This is the equivalent of treating cancer in humans: We are trying to kill one of the most resilient organisms known to earth WITHOUT wiping out our tanks...
Equivalent, I agree
Even people that dump bleach in their tanks and do a reset have this show up months later.
I'm one of them... But I can't tell if they survived the bleach/reset or I imported them again with "that pretty new frag I just bought"...
I think any company that puts a ton of time and money into this venture is putting themselves at serious risk of no payoff
Risk of doing business. Much the same as when they produce any of the medications we use in the hobby, antibiotics, anti parasite medications, Cupramine, and all that.

I do agree this is a tough sucker.

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I had cyano and diatoms as i downsized to my new tank using the old rock, I knew I had cyano growing because the purple matts growing in my live rock and the brown dusting that appears with new sand, however the dusting got more orange, I added chemiclean which killed the cyano and it's all gone but left the brown algae alone as it was not looking the typical bubbly diatom colour I assumed it will still diatoms.....until, I carried out my water change after the chemiclean treatment and now the next day it looks like an explosion of brown algae growing thicker mats and bubbles under the front glass. I've ordered a bottle of Dino x.

It was in my old tank but it never looked like dinos so I assumed it was the cyano, the worse part is it showed up exactly after a new addition to my tank!

IMG_5386.JPG

The dark stringy bits are what came of my glass as I just wiped it

ajm83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had a serious reduction of Dynos, but I think its just from a daily 5 gallon siphon into two filter socks, or its me running the tank dirty. But its still the same, they are still there if I stop my daily routine than they will come back. Im not enjoying the tank as much as I should and my luck they will come back if I just reset.

What size of filter sock would I need for this? I've only ever run floss so I don't know how much difference the micron rating makes.

Thinking of combining this with Vibrant or h2o2 + a total blackout.

wyattray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size of filter sock would I need for this? I've only ever run floss so I don't know how much difference the micron rating makes.

Thinking of combining this with Vibrant or h2o2 + a total blackout.

Im using a 4x8 inside a 4x14 clamped to a 5 gallon bucket, I let the bucket fill up about half way than I turn on the pump to pump water back into the sump from the bucket and let it continue to run as I filter.
I am using a smaller siphon, so im getting more power but I am pulling sand about a half a cup a day, I am disposing of this sand as most of it is riddled with dino.

Its not completely filtering out the dinos but the socks are brown when im done and looking at a microscope it is catching a good majority of dinos.

I did notice that running my tank with no water changes 3 Weeks now, my DKH dropped to 5.7, I dont know how long its been like this but as I said before My dinos have reduced, I dosed last night to bring the dkh back up, and i plan on dosing until its at 9.7 Im wondering if this lower DKH affected the dinos at all. We will see when I get it back to 9.7 which should be Friday.

Has anyone done a comparison on the types of substrate? Do they thrive in a different type compared to others?

Just to update my current attack mode. 70G Tank
-Skimmer running but its not collecting (Just using this to keep the PH up)
-GFO / Carbon off
-Biopellets ready to run the minute im done with fluc
-Vibrant 8ml every week
-Currently Running FLUC to treat GHA 8 Days in to a 3 week treatment
-Daily Siphoning of sand bed.
-I did not change the schedule on my lights.

Back