Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have any pics of dinos under the scope. I can provide tank shots but not sure how much that would do.
Better than nothing. If the rock is slimy enough it could be distinguishing :)

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In their defense, you can almost square their advice with their description of the bacterial action. they describe the bacteria blend in a way that makes it sound like they do work on the surfaces of algae, rocks and debris. If so, you can use UV without too much interference.

But still, like you say kill the skimmer/UV for a few hours to let bacteria colonize.
Also this implies blasting away debris should be done before vibrant.
Vibrant people seem pretty straightforward so hopefully their careful comments aren't pointing us in wrong direction.

Do we know anything at all about dino-x, other than it smells bad? Contents, mechanism, targets? Most reviews I've heard are bad, but a few good ones is still worth looking into.
Link appreciated.
I only used dinox once. I can't remember why I stopped I think it was affecting my corals and I didn't see any overnight changes with the dinos. In this new system like I've said many times the few corals I have in do not care about. Maybe I will give dinox another try.

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights not on yet there is some brown hair algea also in there.
18187e2342bc11eb2160f036df289989.jpg
3de8f5986448a338d228f8fb2d47e668.jpg
bdb882da34f17f9d3ebaf6c380fc2171.jpg
0b85905546c39487e005e51cc12e8fb5.jpg
e58406a4fddcb98272e83e64dbf54dd6.jpg
8d5406664be7d0df03b055b9b310c7a2.jpg

mandrieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In their defense, you can almost square their advice with their description of the bacterial action. they describe the bacteria blend in a way that makes it sound like they do work on the surfaces of algae, rocks and debris. If so, you can use UV without too much interference.
Good point

Vibrant people seem pretty straightforward so hopefully their careful comments aren't pointing us in wrong direction.
Agree, they are great and extremely service oriented. Didn't mean to say they are not helpful. Apologies if my comment came out wrong.

Do we know anything at all about dino-x, other than it smells bad? Contents, mechanism, targets? Most reviews I've heard are bad, but a few good ones is still worth looking into.
I tried Dino-X twice. It did work at removing/killing algae. Which, might have been a bad thing, now that I think about it. The first time I dosed based on their directions. Algae was greatly reduced, dinos mostly unaffected. I did full treatment. Second time, I went with stronger doses, about same results, but some of my corals took a beating. Abandoned the treatment half way.
With Vibrant, on the other hand, it was much more benign with corals, killed algae like crazy (again good news/bad news?), no effect on my dinos. It did lower nitrates significantly, no much effect on Phosphates.

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just stopped Dino-x after 5 doses. SPS were taking a beating, water got cloudy, and ORP dropped like a rock. All known side effects but I thought it was time to quit. No change on prorocentrum after the dosing.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your awesome detailed reports.
Some trace element or Alk had been depleted, and they react to its addition.
If you top off salt mix again, check alk before, and see if it's super low. If not, it's probably some undetectable trace element.

Yeah, use your judgment on peroxide amount. You are carefully observing your tank, so you have a better feel for its effect than me giving you a target number.
Can't really start metro until you are done with oxidizers and UV. They disable the metro.
I'm conflicted on vibrant and uv. They say it's fine to be used with UV, but they also say it's 95% living bacteria. I think disabling uv for a few hr to give vibrant bacteria time to colonize rock surface makes sense.

I found your brown worms in my tank too. Was shocked when I figured it out.

It's spirulina!

My alk was around 7 when salinity dropped and now is 7.5 and Im using ESV two part to keep it stable but I think now that my nitrates and phosphate are higher I will start to rise it slowly to 8 or 9. So you think alk is making them multiply again?
Great you could identify my strange brown worms ;) Great video from your microscope! It looks so detailed. I think I need new microscope :)

mdavis735

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that seems a constant. Everyone leaves the sand surface at night. Just not 100% sure who goes up, and who goes down (other than ostis and amphidinium).
People who had ostreopsis and ran carefully applied UV either said it got rid of their dinos or made their dinos "act different." upon inspection those with different looking dinos had amphidinium after UV. Reports on prorocentrum are needed.
I'll find your other posts see if you've posted pics anywhere of the dinos, especially rock "slime"

Mine did not leave the sand at night. My sand looked exactly the same 24 hours a day. That's one thing that made me question if it's dino. Also no air bubbles or strings. I treated twice for cyano. Neither time had much if any impact. I'm thinking 3 days of lights out is what made the little change I saw. Last night I pulled the sand out. Today no brown junk on the bottom.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did not leave the sand at night. My sand looked exactly the same 24 hours a day. That's one thing that made me question if it's dino. Also no air bubbles or strings. I treated twice for cyano. Neither time had much if any impact. I'm thinking 3 days of lights out is what made the little change I saw. Last night I pulled the sand out. Today no brown junk on the bottom.
That really really doesn't sound like dino.
....or cyano to be honest.

mdavis735

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard for me too say. I posted a pic from a microscope earlier. It looks like what I've seen from some Dino pics. It's really hard too say as it really doesn't act like Dino's.

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so a good update! Lights have been on 100% now for 2 hours and the sand is not nearly as bad compared to Friday! Also a have a huge patch on the rocks that cleared up. I am out of these tabs. In a week I might revisit the tabs with a chlorine test kit so I can measure how much is in the water. I'm going to hit them with Metro and h202 and go from there. BTW corals are all fine from the chlorine.
188f91bd44b4b7ccf3b285e5533d7ee4.jpg

mandrieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so a good update! Lights have been on 100% now for 2 hours and the sand is not nearly as bad compared to Friday! Also a have a huge patch on the rocks that cleared up. I am out of these tabs. In a week I might revisit the tabs with a chlorine test kit so I can measure how much is in the water. I'm going to hit them with Metro and h202 and go from there. BTW corals are all fine from the chlorine.
188f91bd44b4b7ccf3b285e5533d7ee4.jpg
Exciting!!!

mandrieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I know it is somewhere but can't find it. Where can I buy cheaper Metro? (last time I used Seachem Metroplex - it's really expensive) - thanks!

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully everyone in this thread who doesn't have a microscope has already done the paper towel test to see if you actually have dinos?

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?posts/2486286

Cyano is filtered by paper towels, diatoms go through paper towels, but don't regroup, dinos pass the filter then regroup into strands/clumps.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully everyone in this thread who doesn't have a microscope has already done the paper towel test to see if you actually have dinos?

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?posts/2486286

Cyano is filtered by paper towels, diatoms go through paper towels, but don't regroup, dinos pass the filter then regroup into strands/clumps.
Make like taricha says or just stop the movement in your tank, let the water stay steady for a 10 minutes or more and you will see brown group, string of dinos in the water column like those
ebc30779ac5645f63df8fac30b3e6660.jpg

604af9ce6cae17a66f9e59e498d4f030.jpg

And change a shape on your corals from strings with high flow
51b7259cc133d463ba90d2c3090fd075.jpg

To just a brown mass when the water is steady
92c4d086124c8f7a0fd4bbf1bbe85d0c.jpg

Those pictures are from my ostreopsis ovata. Im so happy I cant see them anymore :)

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've used chemiclean twice to get rid of "cyano". Now I'm thinking this isn't cyano. Can you tell by this crappy pic if it's dinoflagellates? It's using my daughters cheap school microscope and my iPhone camera.
5f3a75801cf44438cfcd64b18b4e5b79.jpg

Mine did not leave the sand at night. My sand looked exactly the same 24 hours a day. That's one thing that made me question if it's dino. Also no air bubbles or strings. I treated twice for cyano. Neither time had much if any impact.

pic is almost certainly dinos. your description really doesn't sound like dinos. :)
Could you post a vid through the scope?
Maybe you have dinos + something else. It's surprisingly common.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 34 28.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 58 47.9%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back