Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

badstraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me sorprendiste ;) hasta cheque dos veces si estoy en el sitio correcto, pensé que por accidente publique en ingles en el CAM jajjaja, me da gusto verte por aqui.

Jajaja así pasa... ya sabes , en lo que podamos apoyar.

Sorry for the Spanish guys... [emoji28][emoji28]

2JZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got through reading all the posts...that took awhile. Anyways I'm dealing with my own issue with osteo and some other type of dino I can't identify, it's much smaller than osteo and doesn't move at all. I dosed some bleach for a few days and killed 99% of the osteo but the smaller type remains. Anyone know what this smaller type is? They clump together and form the snot strings all over the rocks. I also still see the typical air bubbles among the goop. Here are some pictures at 200x and 800x closeup. One of the pictures you can see the single osteo Dino and relative size of the smaller guys.
IMG_1966.JPG
IMG_1965.JPG
IMG_1959.PNG
IMG_1961.JPG
IMG_1960.JPG

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes :) Paul B recomended it, so I will give it a try, only waiting for diarom earth to arrive.
How will this remove them all? Won't they just continue to reproduce within the tank? This will catch the ones in the water column but what about on rocks, sand and corals?

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How will this remove them all? Won't they just continue to reproduce within the tank? This will catch the ones in the water column but what about on rocks, sand and corals?

Paul P recomended to blow your rock with diatom filter outlet or power head to clean the rock from dinos, I think it will not kill them all but will give a big relieve to your animals to take its quantities down near zero, I think it may work as blackout that killes almoust all and give other algae a chance but instead of a blackout that also weaken your corals you can use diatom filter as often as necesarry with out the risk of loosing your corals.

Odysi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking for diatom filter to try it out, but hard to find used ones. Let us know how it goes for you I might have to bite the bullet and buy new. I'm dealing with dinos myself. I tried the metro treatment it did knock them back alot but they are starting to come back.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking for diatom filter to try it out, but hard to find used ones. Let us know how it goes for you I might have to bite the bullet and buy new. I'm dealing with dinos myself. I tried the metro treatment it did knock them back alot but they are starting to come back.
I sure will, my order of diatom earth arrives friday so I will use the filter this weekend, meanwile I seeing all youtube videos about them and loved that one, it really shows how usefull and powerfull it is.

hefner413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flame angel finishing quarantine x 6wks. I'm ready to put into the display, but I want to ensure I don't transfer any dinos etc with it. I don't know any are in my QT, but we never know... so what do u guys recommend prior to transfer to DT? FW dip, etc? Thanks

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyways I'm dealing with my own issue with osteo and some other type of dino I can't identify, it's much smaller than osteo and doesn't move at all. I dosed some bleach for a few days and killed 99% of the osteo but the smaller type remains. Anyone know what this smaller type is? They clump together and form the snot strings all over the rocks. I also still see the typical air bubbles among the goop. Here are some pictures at 200x and 800x closeup. One of the pictures you can see the single osteo Dino and relative size of the smaller guys.
This is the symbiodinium-like kind that a couple of people have had. Super tiny, golden, round, not moving, embedded in mucous.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flame angel finishing quarantine x 6wks. I'm ready to put into the display, but I want to ensure I don't transfer any dinos etc with it. I don't know any are in my QT, but we never know... so what do u guys recommend prior to transfer to DT? FW dip, etc? Thanks

Have a healthy tank that doesn't use GFO or carbon dosing as a crutch and you won't have any worries.

dino's are a problem in tanks that are systematically starved of dissolved nutrients. :)

otherwise you won't even know you have them. :) :)

pboutin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried dosing ammonium chloride to raise nitrates? My thought is that nitrifying bacteria would convert it to nitrates for the denitrifying bacteria to have something to chew on.

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I no have in my arsenal
1) stump remover (the pure stuff was too $$ for my size system) to rais nitrates
2) Seachem Phosphorus.

I havent dosed the latter just yet. Today or tomorrow I'll start taking daily tests and dosing both, recording what happens in my system. Dinos recede? Other things grow? Will take pics too.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I no have in my arsenal
1) stump remover (the pure stuff was too $$ for my size system) to rais nitrates
2) Seachem Phosphorus.

I havent dosed the latter just yet. Today or tomorrow I'll start taking daily tests and dosing both, recording what happens in my system. Dinos recede? Other things grow? Will take pics too.
I think it works for some not all.

Same as every treatment.

What I will say is with nutrient dosing if it does go in to remission. It will be just that. Waiting to return.

Sorry for the gloom but best you know as may be encouraged to think it's a fix. It's not just another method of control.

When you have them they are for life.

Sadly Im beginning to blame the control for the mess we are in. Many wouldn't buy from a tank in mess. The same people would if the tank looked ok.
It's the HIV of our aquariums.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried dosing ammonium chloride to raise nitrates? My thought is that nitrifying bacteria would convert it to nitrates for the denitrifying bacteria to have something to chew on.
To be honest this is likely what is in dino x.
Worth a shot and I'd dose to Dino x quantities.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a healthy tank that doesn't use GFO or carbon dosing as a crutch and you won't have any worries.

dino's are a problem in tanks that are systematically starved of dissolved nutrients. :)

otherwise you won't even know you have them. :) :)
See there you said it. Wouldnt even notice you HAD them.... :(

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul P recomended to blow your rock with diatom filter outlet or power head to clean the rock from dinos, I think it will not kill them all but will give a big relieve to your animals to take its quantities down near zero, I think it may work as blackout that killes almoust all and give other algae a chance but instead of a blackout that also weaken your corals you can use diatom filter as often as necesarry with out the risk of loosing your corals.
That won't work. Ive blasted hell out of a rock and then checked under scope afterwards. Dino's will be on rock. The mucous net you are blowing off is more an extension.
Hence why when. You clear it a.few hours later it's back.
It never left to begin with.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is what's in dino-x I would stay away. That stuff is a disaster.
It's an ammonium compound. Obviously cannot be 100% but edging my bets.

For most including me, yes. Some.had success.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My update from today :) Still no visible dinos in my DT. My scrubber is getting really green now and dont need to clear dinos from it anymore.
50683c75abab7db8bab60049495f3e55.jpg

My sump is ciano kingdom
aaf4594c9eaa64652159ae77a850c115.jpg

and a little spot of dinos in a heater is receding and ciano is taking its place, I see a loooot of baby copepods in my DT glass and my only turbo snail is walking and eating. I think metro and blackout helped a lot to make it possible, also from the first day from my blackout I stoped to overfeed my tank, I only feed two times a day, moderate quantities. Trying also some live food and nori instead of so much flake food. My corals looks a little better but its not even near to say they look good.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back