Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sure do but for now green algae needs a little help couse Im sure if I let the dinos over it, with out me rinsing the plastic it will surely die, but I hope with a little help it will be the winning battle. [emoji1]
Good going!

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im guessing bacteria dosing has been tested against dino. It most likely wont remove it on its own but will it have a negative or positiv impact in generell? I thinking about trying MICROBE-LIFT / Special Blend for the sake of it.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im guessing bacteria dosing has been tested against dino. It most likely wont remove it on its own but will it have a negative or positiv impact in generell? I thinking about trying MICROBE-LIFT / Special Blend for the sake of it.

They eat bacteria if they're in an ultra-low P environment, so you might just be adding fuel to the fire.

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They eat bacteria if they're in an ultra-low P environment, so you might just be adding fuel to the fire.

Ill restrain myself then! If im not mistaking, green algae is out competed by dino? So if im during my major re-outbreak get green filmalge on the glas for the first time since february im guessing its going in the right direction?

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill restrain myself then! If im not mistaking, green algae is out competed by dino? So if im during my major re-outbreak get green filmalge on the glas for the first time since february im guessing its going in the right direction?
I think yes, always when my dinos die due blackout the fisth algae to come is green film and when my dinos return in force the green dies.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my tank is overrun. With diatoms.

Cleaned glass earlier three hours later brown dust on it again. Same as rocks. Teach me for rolling out some sand and changing rocks to ceramic.

Definitely going through mini cycle and skimmer is going nuts. It was like a bubble bath earlier. Foam pouring down side of tank. o_O

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And just because I like to argue (love you guys really!)

I've been dosing mb7 and prodibo. Zero phosphates (I mean nothing) same as nitrate until stated dosing nitrate and will be doing so with phosphate. Seems best way to keep balance. Plus the fact sps are starving.

Anyway point is I found certainly with prodibo it seems to keep stuff in check. Could just be coincidence or could be doing nothing much at all. It's not harming though and tank is normally quite clear with using it.

Still I do believe the major link is running things like biopellets which drive low nutrients and put out bacteria on mass.

I think dinoflagellates may have been in the hobby a long time but new ways of nutrient control have increased the amount they cause damage.

Still I'd rather a tank without them.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds right...about what I've seen. I quit cleaning my glass to encourage it, in fact. Got lotsa goodies growing there eventually and a nice crop of copepods and amphipods was not far behind! :) (Well...looking back it seems that way....it's been months I think.)

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds right...about what I've seen. I quit cleaning my glass to encourage it, in fact. Got lotsa goodies growing there eventually and a nice crop of copepods and amphipods was not far behind! :) (Well...looking back it seems that way....it's been months I think.)

Yeah :) noway im scraping it off anyway! Rather not see the dino

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, as previously stated, dosing nutrients eliminated my dinos; HOWEVER, make sure to have a good clean up crew because unless you have a lot of coral (particularly sps) that will suck up those nutrients, you're going to get other types of algae that includes the dreaded green hair spp. Even with a lot of coral there will still be some algae, so I have a tuxedo urchins, turbos & astreas, cowries, fighting conchs, a fox face, and a Tomini tang (the latter still QT) in my new 180. Also, one of the first things I added to my new tank was copepods and amphipods. They are fantastic little cleaners.

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I did some more research and finally determined I have the type amphidinium sp. I'm actually excited I've finally determined what I have. I will post videos tomorrow.

So next question is: what's the treatment of any? Are these worse or easier than Osteo so?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I did some more research and finally determined I have the type amphidinium sp. I'm actually excited I've finally determined what I have. I will post videos tomorrow.

So next question is: what's the treatment of any? Are these worse or easier than Osteo so?
Good news/bad news. Common Large-Cell Amphidinium are generally low- or non-toxic. They don't form strings, smother corals or kill snails. They are easier to get rid of through predation/competition. Lots of things eat them.
Bad news is they don't leave the sand, so removal by filtering/UV/etc doesn't work. They hide in sand and seem to have less water column contact than others, so chemicals in water seem ineffective too.
Here's what I did.
Elevate Nutrients: Dose P (&N)
Siphon worst parts out.
Grow algae everywhere - fuge & display.
Place chaeto and caulerpa hunks right on top of dino sand.

Likely some combination of nutrient competition, predation from pods/ciliates in the chaeto, and reducing light reaching sand caused the amphidinium to disappear - first from directly below the chaeto - then from the rest of the sand.

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How did you make determination without microscope?

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news/bad news. Common Large-Cell Amphidinium are generally low- or non-toxic. They don't form strings, smother corals or kill snails. They are easier to get rid of through predation/competition. Lots of things eat them.
Bad news is they don't leave the sand, so removal by filtering/UV/etc doesn't work. They hide in sand and seem to have less water column contact than others, so chemicals in water seem ineffective too.
Here's what I did.
Elevate Nutrients: Dose P (&N)
Siphon worst parts out.
Grow algae everywhere - fuge & display.
Place chaeto and caulerpa hunks right on top of dino sand.

Likely some combination of nutrient competition, predation from pods/ciliates in the chaeto, and reducing light reaching sand caused the amphidinium to disappear - first from directly below the chaeto - then from the rest of the sand.

thanks. last time I beat my dinos (want able to ID them) with what is called the "dirty method". I simply just overfew over and over. Eventually the dinos receeded where I couldnt see them. BUt then shortly thereafter dealt with GHA. I can keep N03 at a good level but I always have trouble with PO4 being undetectable (using a hanna low range checker).

What is the right way to add more PO4 besides overfeeding?

@Mjl714 I did use a microscope to ID :) WIll post a video next!

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's the video taken using my iphone, sorry for the quality but I believe this is amphidinium.

So what's the protocal, if any, for this type of Dino?

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So trying to catch up. Are you guys adding phosphate (similar to dosing nitrate to bring NO3 and) PO4 up?

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So trying to catch up. Are you guys adding phosphate (similar to dosing nitrate to bring NO3 and) PO4 up?
I think thats the trend now ;) I saw a video on youtube of a guy who killed dinos with only one dose of phosphate so Im excited about to try it. My scrubber is no longer getting dinos and is more and more green now
03ea416ac209007579f87e19491b9260.jpg

I also have ciano in the sump area and some dinos in a heater ;)
a9bd915d57db4469d7990a70abf49b30.jpg

Scopulum Zombie

Unconventional reefing without regret.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never get angry. This is a hobby and by definition supposed to be fun. If it isn't fun, why are we doing it? If it ever makes me angry, it goes by the curb with the garbage. There are plenty of things in the world that make me angry, Rap music comes to mind. My tank is "always" fun. Even when I see a flatworm, dino, cyano, parasite, Pop eye, or a dried up fish on the floor. Those are the things that make this interesting and fun. If nothing ever happened I would be bored to death and if I needed a hobby to bore me, I would look at my feet all day or collect stamps. Now that's exciting. Oh Look, my 1937 Swahili 2 1/2 cent stamp has gotten yellow. What will I do? OMG I hope a miracle comes and takes away my pain. :eek:
I don't even get angry when I have leeks on my front glass.

Or if I drop my hammer in my tank and can't find it.

Paul, your posts never fail to make my day better. If you put them all in a book, you would sell at least one copy.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 65 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 5.7%
Back