Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

Koa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know the best way to get of dinos? naturally, I just started a 3 day black out 2 days ago and added 1ml of hydrogen proxide

badstraw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think thats the trend now ;) I saw a video on youtube of a guy who killed dinos with only one dose of phosphate so Im excited about to try it. My scrubber is no longer getting dinos and is more and more green now
03ea416ac209007579f87e19491b9260.jpg

I also have ciano in the sump area and some dinos in a heater ;)
a9bd915d57db4469d7990a70abf49b30.jpg

Glad to see that it's finally working! Just make sure not to burn the algae with too much light.

I bet that as soon as the algae becomes thicker it will outcompete bacteria populations and the dinos would completely go away. :) ( try to keep the nutrients at the same level)

It's awesome to learn a little bit more the best possible treatment for these demons.

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First day back after my vacation and end up staying slightly longer so the tank was total blacked out for 8 days and lights are just coming on now, set for max 35%

The tank looks amazing, spotless! The only two corals who don't look happy is a favia and chalice frag, but the chalice was not looking good to start, my hammer coral and zoas looks like nothing has happened. Fish are looking well, my wrasse have not surfaced yet. Hopefully it's what's needed to keep the dinos at bay.

Not sure if I should do a water change???? Maybe leave it for a few days to let the corals get back to normal but everything is looking fine and no issues whilst I was away

mandrieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your phosphate adding results? Mine arrives tomorrow :)
Still struggling to get consistent readings. One day I get maybe 0.01, then for 2 or 3 days I get back to zero. I've been upping the dose little by little. I'm getting more algae and more cyano though, as you would expect

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still struggling to get consistent readings. One day I get maybe 0.01, then for 2 or 3 days I get back to zero. I've been upping the dose little by little. I'm getting more algae and more cyano though, as you would expect
Good luck! Funny some add phosphate reactors and we here need to add phosphate aditives :) I will start dosing today :)

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see that it's finally working! Just make sure not to burn the algae with too much light.

I bet that as soon as the algae becomes thicker it will outcompete bacteria populations and the dinos would completely go away. :) ( try to keep the nutrients at the same level)

It's awesome to learn a little bit more the best possible treatment for these demons.
Me sorprendiste ;) hasta cheque dos veces si estoy en el sitio correcto, pensé que por accidente publique en ingles en el CAM jajjaja, me da gusto verte por aqui.

Last edited:

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First day back after my vacation and end up staying slightly longer so the tank was total blacked out for 8 days and lights are just coming on now, set for max 35%

The tank looks amazing, spotless! The only two corals who don't look happy is a favia and chalice frag, but the chalice was not looking good to start, my hammer coral and zoas looks like nothing has happened. Fish are looking well, my wrasse have not surfaced yet. Hopefully it's what's needed to keep the dinos at bay.

Not sure if I should do a water change???? Maybe leave it for a few days to let the corals get back to normal but everything is looking fine and no issues whilst I was away
Im really glad they are gone and hope will not return. Can you please remember me what kind of dinos you ware fighting? Keep us updated please.

mandrieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! Funny some add phosphate reactors and we here need to add phosphate aditives :) I will start dosing today :)
Yeah. Hopefully I'll get to a point where I can get some consistent readings. At some point I'll need to increase the bio load too since I have only 3 fish left and very minimal CUC, but I'm hesitant to do so until I'm certain I have the dinos under control

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think thats the trend now ;) I saw a video on youtube of a guy who killed dinos with only one dose of phosphate so Im excited about to try it. My scrubber is no longer getting dinos and is more and more green now
03ea416ac209007579f87e19491b9260.jpg

I also have ciano in the sump area and some dinos in a heater ;)
a9bd915d57db4469d7990a70abf49b30.jpg

I would let the screen grow green now util it's thick....let them grow! They are excellent repositories of N and P as well as sources of C, N and P as they grow, die and regrow, and will help stabilize the system.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Personally, I'd be happy with a consistent dose and improving conditions

I think I would neither increase the amount dosed nor focus on any specific PO4 reading.

Increasing the dose would make sense if you were still not seeing a change in the tank, but presence of growing green algae and cyano IS GREAT.

Yeah. Hopefully I'll get to a point where I can get some consistent readings. At some point I'll need to increase the bio load too since I have only 3 fish left and very minimal CUC, but I'm hesitant to do so until I'm certain I have the dinos under control

If/when you do increase the bio-load, I would just do it one at a time – slowly. Wait at least a month...longer might be better...before adding the next. That way you get a chance to see if/how the tank will react and have plenty of time to react thoughtfully if anything undesirable happens. :) Personally, I think as long as your coral population "outweighs" your fish population and you don't make drastic changes, you really can't go too wrong.

I also wouldn't feel obligated to add more livestock....I think if you have a reasonably balanced population, consistent feeding of what's in there is the real key. So you should be able to keep the tank happy as-is if you wanted to.

Well, more CUC is probably going to be called for... :)

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so catching up on the last few pages or so. This is good stuff. Contrary to what I was thinking, are you all saying I should leave my ATS online? Darn, I just cleaned it last night. Had a huge amount of growth on it. I was thinking that its pulling N and P out of the water too fast which is contributing to them being so low in my tank, particularly P. If I want P to be higher, wouldn't an ATS be counterproductive to that?

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok just purchased a 500ml bottle of Seachem Flourish Phosphorus. Crossing fingers!!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so catching up on the last few pages or so. This is good stuff. Contrary to what I was thinking, are you all saying I should leave my ATS online? Darn, I just cleaned it last night. Had a huge amount of growth on it. I was thinking that its pulling N and P out of the water too fast which is contributing to them being so low in my tank, particularly P. If I want P to be higher, wouldn't an ATS be counterproductive to that?

Ok just purchased a 500ml bottle of Seachem Flourish Phosphorus. Crossing fingers!!

I forget....do you have an annoying algae bloom, or harmful algae bloom? (That's from bad to worse...)

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im really glad they are gone and hope will not return. Can you please remember me what kind of dinos you ware fighting? Keep us updated please.

I never managed to ID them under a microscope, but they generally stayed on the sand bed and did not get to stringy..they formed small clusters of matts similar to cyano but with bubbles under. h2o2 test confirmed it was not cyano and after attempting the filter paper test they reformed in the glass and got worse after a waterchange.

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forget....do you have an annoying algae bloom, or harmful algae bloom? (That's from bad to worse...)

Not now at all. Way back maybe over a year ago I had a fairly new tank that was clean with low nutrients. I added the first piece of LR from my LFS (great place, totally trust) and soon after that the Dinos arrived. I quickly learned that Dinos are a way of life in our systems and it was all about keeping them in check. So I tried the "dirty method" which was simply overfeeding like crazy. It worked! Just too well. Dinos receded to the point that I couldnt see them with the naked eye. But crazy, crazy GHA overtook my aquarium to the point I couldnt control it with normal methods. I eventually took 75% of my LR out of my tank, scrubbed it, let it sit in the dark for weeks and weeks, then scrubbed again. I also dosed my display, which still had GHA all over, with Vibrant. It made quick work of the GHA, gone in like days. I added back the scrubbed rock. Then came the dreaded Cyano. Then Spirulina and Dinos. Two weeks ago dosed with Chemi-clean which is also a miracle worker. Tank was sparkling white for about a week. Did two 20% water changes. Spirulina and Cyano has not come back but all the sudden the DInos are back, and getting worse.

Long answer :)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bh750 I would refer you to my thread: Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

If you have questions about that post, please post there. Give it a bump! :)

Also, I'd suggest that you open a brand new thread for troubleshooting your tank more generally. Any of these sub-forums would be a good place to start your thread IMO:
These algae blooms are all a sign that something else is wrong or "off" vs what you're shooting for with the tank....but this "dino-cure" thread isn't the place to figure that out. :)

(Post a link to your thread here though! And feel free to PM me too.)

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bh750 I would refer you to my thread: Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

If you have questions about that post, please post there. Give it a bump! :)

Also, I'd suggest that you open a brand new thread for troubleshooting your tank more generally. Any of these sub-forums would be a good place to start your thread IMO:
These algae blooms are all a sign that something else is wrong or "off" vs what you're shooting for with the tank....but this "dino-cure" thread isn't the place to figure that out. :)

(Post a link to your thread here though! And feel free to PM me too.)

Thanks MCarroll! I'll check that thread out. FWIW I didn't think I was posting a general tank problem thread (or didnt mean to). I was just replying to your question to me asking about an algae bloom. Thought you wanted more background on my situation. Checking out your thread now...

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it arrived :)
6116a5f9d9aa50c6614c3878bc4fa931.jpg

Tomorrow I will buy hoses and would like to try if its working but the powder is still on the way, I dont know if I can try it with out powder for now? Only to see if its working.

Ok gotta ask, what is it??? :) I've gone back in the thread but cant find anything. Is it a diatom filter maybe?

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 16.2%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 21 14.8%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 34 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 4.9%
Back