Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought, would it be possible to give this topic it's own forum/sub forum. There could be an instruction stickie for quick reference. Each person could then have a thread detailing their dosing schedule and results. There could also be a thread for discussion, which may keep the other threads less cluttered and more data/result centered.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought, would it be possible to give this topic it's own forum/sub forum. There could be an instruction stickie for quick reference. Each person could then have a thread detailing their dosing schedule and results. There could also be a thread for discussion, which may keep the other threads less cluttered and more data/result centered.
Ya that would be good to have here now staff just has to see this post :)

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do dinos disappear when the lights go out, then grow back after the lights are on?

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do dinos disappear when the lights go out, then grow back after the lights are on?
They are always there night and day.
During the night they tend to roam freely in the water column then group back up during the lighting period.

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are always there night and day.
During the night they tend to roam freely in the water column then group back up during the lighting period.
Oh. Do they start out slow? I know you said it may just be a hair algae I have coming in. I did recently add two new fish, and have increased feeding, so it could be that I suppose. It's spreading on my sandbed though, getting longer.

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just haven't seen this on my bed before. Tank is almost four months old.

image.jpeg

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. Do they start out slow? I know you said it may just be a hair algae I have coming in. I did recently add two new fish, and have increased feeding, so it could be that I suppose. It's spreading on my sandbed though, getting longer.
Yes if freshly introduced to your tank it is a slow process at first.
Once you see the strands build then it will take off

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Twilliard! Would you please do a single summary of your protocol here?

I have battling DINOs for a very long time. I am essentially running a fish only with cuc right now because the DINOs and the treatments have pretty much decimated any corals I have had. Yes....I have done everything I could find. With out getting onto gory details....I thought I finally had them beat. Then about a month ago...the telltale signs started to appear again. After microscopic investigation...it does appear to be a slightly different variant. A bit more oblong in shape, yellow to orange like the last. These seem much more active that the previous variety.

To be honest... I am almost about ready to give up. Was going to nuke the tank and simply leave it as a fish only. I have a couple of friends that have nuked their tanks with copper and over many months...slowly removed the copper with cac and have been reintroducing corals....with very good success. I don't want to do that right now....but almost to that point.

I saw your protocol here a couple weeks ago. I honestly just sighed and moved on mainly because I have chased these cures all before. A friend shared your post again with me and suggested I give it a whirl....before I nuke the tank. I can share insights with everyone...along the way.

Please share the currently accepted dosages...and frequency. I have seen one scoop per 10g...for 3 days... I have also seen some increase dosage. ... Since this is your protocol, can you please share what you have concluded and I will follow that to a t and share my results. I have recieved three 5g vials and am ready to go.

My tank is a 180 with a Rubbermaid 100 gal sump. My guess with rock, sand and equipment displacement....to be about 200 gal total volume. I am running a large a large skimmer and an AS-7 Algae Scrubber from 302 Aquatics. Other than that...I run filter socks on the return water to the sump.

Thank you for your help! I hope my experience can help confirm your protocol.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Twilliard! Would you please do a single summary of your protocol here?

I have battling DINOs for a very long time. I am essentially running a fish only with cuc right now because the DINOs and the treatments have pretty much decimated any corals I have had. Yes....I have done everything I could find. With out getting onto gory details....I thought I finally had them beat. Then about a month ago...the telltale signs started to appear again. After microscopic investigation...it does appear to be a slightly different variant. A bit more oblong in shape, yellow to orange like the last. These seem much more active that the previous variety.

To be honest... I am almost about ready to give up. Was going to nuke the tank and simply leave it as a fish only. I have a couple of friends that have nuked their tanks with copper and over many months...slowly removed the copper with cac and have been reintroducing corals....with very good success. I don't want to do that right now....but almost to that point.

I saw your protocol here a couple weeks ago. I honestly just sighed and moved on mainly because I have chased these cures all before. A friend shared your post again with me and suggested I give it a whirl....before I nuke the tank. I can share insights with everyone...along the way.

Please share the currently accepted dosages...and frequency. I have seen one scoop per 10g...for 3 days... I have also seen some increase dosage. ... Since this is your protocol, can you please share what you have concluded and I will follow that to a t and share my results. I have recieved three 5g vials and am ready to go.

My tank is a 180 with a Rubbermaid 100 gal sump. My guess with rock, sand and equipment displacement....to be about 200 gal total volume. I am running a large a large skimmer and an AS-7 Algae Scrubber from 302 Aquatics. Other than that...I run filter socks on the return water to the sump.

Thank you for your help! I hope my experience can help confirm your protocol.
I understand the frustration.
This is why I spend all my time doing this. If I can save a tank a day I feel I have made a valuable resource here on R2R.
Now this hypothesis is not concluded yet so keep this in mind.
Currently I am dosing 125mg per 10 gallons when lights go out.
I am doing this for 10 days as the 3 day treatment was disproved
I feel confident about the 10 days but results will be another 2 weeks out.
I am on day 8 currently
A good metronidazole source for large volume tanks is here
http://www.jehmco.com/html/ordering_info.html
If by chance you are able to get a microscope shot posted that would be great as I will add the variants to my writeup if this hypothesis is confirmed.

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys and gals... I am on board. I have essentially 15 grams or 6 days of metro in my hands now...based on 125 mg / 10 gal of volume. I will begin dosing this evening after my light cycle is over. I will procure more so I have 12 days worth.

Todd... Here are two pictures that I just took with my cheap butt microscope that I got off of amazon. The first is at 4x and the second is at 10x. The pictures are taken with my Samsung S6 Active. I plan on taking pictures every couple of days for comparisons.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes if freshly introduced to your tank it is a slow process at first.
Once you see the strands build then it will take off
When you say slow process, you mean it takes my tank a little while to properly adjust to the rise in "nutrients", and may show symptoms such as these? And what do you mean I will see the strands take off. If it is dinos, I will see strands start, then take off into longer stringy algae? Is it a quick process?

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 37 34.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 18 16.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 20 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back