Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say 10 days of double dosing hasn't harmed my

Fish: lots of them

Snails: turbos, fighting conch, nerites, ceriths,

Worms: many

Crabs and Shrimp: from peppermint, blue leg hermits, various pods to microscopic crustaceans

Bacteria

Corals: red goniopora, fiji yellow leather, some alien egg looking thing, purple haze monti, birds nest slowly recovering, frog spawn looking more alive, some other euphyllia looking better, some kind of gorgonian, duncans, mushrooms

Short spine urchin

2 common star fish from kp aquatics and large amounts of asterina stars

Anemones: some aiptasia, supposed to be a mini max but looking more like a rock flower, and my main goal for my tank now my bubble tips

8dbdc896f8f1491649087051c70dc644.jpg

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were those issues starting to happen before metro was dosed? What kind of issues? Total wipe out? What kind of corals and inverts?
So far in my tank no inverts lost and no coral loss.

Getting warmer. Those are tiny!
Strangedejavu had some little round golden symbiodinium looking things I think. He can comment if the tank growth form posted looks similar.
I can get a better picture but my wife is on the laptop

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were those issues starting to happen before metro was dosed? What kind of issues? Total wipe out? What kind of corals and inverts?
No those issues were not there before the metro as that would be silly to mention if they were there prior to treatment. I posted the issues I'm having with pictures.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I think so. Has to be from them dying? Like I said before treatment the dinos were very bad but corals were THRIVING along with my rbt.

There's lots of posts ITT. I missed your post with those pictures.

I'm not discounting there could be issues so when someone says that they did or do have problems I'd like to understand when did it start, what's effected, and to what extent.

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason for dosing at night when lights are off? One reason why I ask is that corals respire at night so I'm wondering if the same is true for dino's? I would think that during photosynthesis that the Metro would be uptaken...but I dunno.

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The process of dinoflagellates may appear slow and by the time you see it the are millions of them that can double daily. That's what I meant by taking off.

So anything specific I should be watching for? Any really obvious signs, that should make me want to start dosing? I was going to do a WC, should I vacuum the sand? Last time I did that, they seemed to spread. Again, could just be a diatoms I suppose.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they mass up during the day I question if every cell is exposed to metronidazole
At night when the roam around then I know a majority of cells are exposed.
Think of it like they blanket them selves during the day.

Reeferhigh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know twilliard you are using flagyl but heating out the wax, I tried that in a regular pot to no avail. Anyone else's skimmer go crazy from flagyl? I'm worried im skimming the metro straight out, my skimmer pulls 1 and a 1/2 skimmer cups straight out.

Yesterday was day 4, I tried to blow off all the dino's but there is no difference, they are no easier to blow and still stick together like crazy. I cleaned as many as I could and made a 4th dose.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know twilliard you are using flagyl but heating out the wax, I tried that in a regular pot to no avail. Anyone else's skimmer go crazy from flagyl? I'm worried im skimming the metro straight out, my skimmer pulls 1 and a 1/2 skimmer cups straight out.

Yesterday was day 4, I tried to blow off all the dino's but there is no difference, they are no easier to blow and still stick together like crazy. I cleaned as many as I could and made a 4th dose.
Thank you for the information!
It was about day 10 when I noticed a huge decrease in the cell population.
Give it more time is what I can say.

StrangeDejavu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sigh, mine are back again. Tank was good for over a month then I bought some frags last weekend and now poof. I ID'd an Amphidinium from a sample I took on my rock near the sand. Then a little bit ago, I see a rust colored snotty mat waving from the rock. I recognized it before I even looked at it under the microscope. So frustrating. Either they encysted when I did my blackout or they were re-introduced via the frags. If that's the case then I guess i'll get dinos every single time I buy anything from this store...

Here's some close ups of the round, motionless dinos. A few other people have gotten this type in the past, but I don't think anyone was ever able to ID them. They are extremely small, only a fraction of the size of a diatom. First pic is at 1000X.

xxyJNVBh.jpg

2irhW2uh.jpg

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sigh, mine are back again. Tank was good for over a month then I bought some frags last weekend and now poof. I ID'd an Amphidinium from a sample I took on my rock near the sand. Then a little bit ago, I see a rust colored snotty mat waving from the rock. I recognized it before I even looked at it under the microscope. So frustrating. Either they encysted when I did my blackout or they were re-introduced via the frags. If that's the case then I guess i'll get dinos every single time I buy anything from this store...

Here's some close ups of the round, motionless dinos. A few other people have gotten this type in the past, but I don't think anyone was ever able to ID them. They are extremely small, only a fraction of the size of a diatom. First pic is at 1000X.

xxyJNVBh.jpg

2irhW2uh.jpg
Those are dinoflagellates?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 162 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 128 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 56 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 20 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.3%
Back