Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dansreef I would not be concerned with nuking the tank with this. So far everyone trying this has had no noticeable effects on any fish, corals, or other inverts.
Not true a couple of us have some issues going on with corals and inverts. Myself including, we just don't know if it's due to Metro or fluctuation in nutrients or toxins.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twilliard do u think that metro is doing anything to the dinos in my tank? Are there any that are dead? That sample was day 4 of dosing.

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.... With the exception of a couple hairy shrooms and a neon green toadstool.... I only have snails and a few small hermits remaining. If this protocol wipes these out...no concern on my part. If this knocks the DINOs out... I am all for it!

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say slow process, you mean it takes my tank a little while to properly adjust to the rise in "nutrients", and may show symptoms such as these? And what do you mean I will see the strands take off. If it is dinos, I will see strands start, then take off into longer stringy algae? Is it a quick process?
The process of dinoflagellates may appear slow and by the time you see it the are millions of them that can double daily. That's what I meant by taking off.

Twilliard do u think that metro is doing anything to the dinos in my tank? Are there any that are dead? That sample was day 4 of dosing.
I am still working with your sample as of 5am this morning.
I have never seen these before and so far no dead ones that I can find. Therected may be dead ones but these guys are hard to see due to the cell structure

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sucks... DINOs has chased a lot of really great reefers out of the hobby. I have scaled back...and am close to throwing in the towel. This is a blight that we need to find a solution to. You would think some scientist would be working on this.... They could make a fair amount of money! I have seen two LFS close and the owners attribute it to people getting away from corals and SW.

I have spoken to a lot of "experts"....and they have no clue. I remember speaking to a certain guy with initials JS at a local event this winter. He was eager to talk until I said DINOs. He backed off and gave me a cold shoulder. His only response.... Raise PH and go dark for 3 days. Trust me... I have done every protocol I could find. This is a last ditch effort on my part. If it does not work....I am going fish only.

Oh...yeah I have been in SW since the later 80's and have had corals nonstop since 2004! I have had Softies, LPS, SPS... All with good luck. These DINOs and the things I have done to rid them....have decimated my corals and frankly my motivation.

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 6 update
Before any treatment
4ebac113c195aae94bda8953c3c0415a.jpg
578e4eb8c57218a775520d9cf7ef6f04.jpg

Day 6 of Metro
8f53de907bd450921104103590c547e9.jpg
3f77666eb4e8f1bab748ba46c5d0b27c.jpg

Some corals and inverts are suffering
Half of these people eaters have been closed since last night
3d81b5c00e0fc2d28c04de3a787a624c.jpg

Toadstool lost its pink color and won't fully bloom
4e43c5662056a0ff8a0b524912cc9bde.jpg

Rbt doesn't look good
5e4b2446e04e27dfe0509b43ba713406.jpg

Purple sea fan not opening and becoming thin and brittle looking
07041a52ba4c4db4edf798e91bfad997.jpg

Duncan not fully opening
0a103294bfbc0023f9a87124ef6f8e50.jpg

I am running my reactor in the morning until I treat Metro at night. FYI all corals and inverts were thriving while full blown dinos were in effect with no Metro treatment. They say nems and toadstool are the first indicator to something wrong in the water.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sucks... DINOs has chased a lot of really great reefers out of the hobby. I have scaled back...and am close to throwing in the towel. This is a blight that we need to find a solution to. You would think some scientist would be working on this.... They could make a fair amount of money! I have seen two LFS close and the owners attribute it to people getting away from corals and SW.

I have spoken to a lot of "experts"....and they have no clue. I remember speaking to a certain guy with initials JS at a local event this winter. He was eager to talk until I said DINOs. He backed off and gave me a cold shoulder. His only response.... Raise PH and go dark for 3 days. Trust me... I have done every protocol I could find. This is a last ditch effort on my part. If it does not work....I am going fish only.

Oh...yeah I have been in SW since the later 80's and have had corals nonstop since 2004! I have had Softies, LPS, SPS... All with good luck. These DINOs and the things I have done to rid them....have decimated my corals and frankly my motivation.
Hang in there I am trying my best to find a solution to this common issue cause that's what I do best!

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 6 update
Before any treatment
4ebac113c195aae94bda8953c3c0415a.jpg
578e4eb8c57218a775520d9cf7ef6f04.jpg

Day 6 of Metro
8f53de907bd450921104103590c547e9.jpg
3f77666eb4e8f1bab748ba46c5d0b27c.jpg

Some corals and inverts are suffering
Half of these people eaters have been closed since last night
3d81b5c00e0fc2d28c04de3a787a624c.jpg

Toadstool lost its pink color and won't fully bloom
4e43c5662056a0ff8a0b524912cc9bde.jpg

Rbt doesn't look good
5e4b2446e04e27dfe0509b43ba713406.jpg

Purple sea fan not opening and becoming thin and brittle looking
07041a52ba4c4db4edf798e91bfad997.jpg

Duncan not fully opening
0a103294bfbc0023f9a87124ef6f8e50.jpg

I am running my reactor in the morning until I treat Metro at night. FYI all corals and inverts were thriving while full blown dinos were in effect with no Metro treatment. They say nems and toadstool are the first indicator to something wrong in the water.
Thank you as I do not have these corals in my tank.

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you as I do not have these corals in my tank.
Day 11 I'm doing a massive water change. If the dinos are still there or come back I'll hold off until you find a proven method. I don't want to risk losing corals and inverts.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@taricha
What do you think?
I think it's one of the planktonic (swimming) instead of benthic (substrate) types. The shape is bad for clinging to or navigating substrate.
It's also clear as opposed to pigmented meaning it's not photosynthetic or maybe just barely - some of these guys use chloroplasts temporarily from photosynthetic stuff they ate.
These kinds don't form mats and don't bloom in tanks for any length of time. They eat phytoplankton, small dinos and other random single cell swimming things. They disappear when they clear their prey population.
If the tank has a persistent brown mat/string issue then I don't think he's your culprit. I think the brown dot inside him is a prey item he ingested and could be the issue.
If you had a green water problem, they could clear it for you. He might even be clearing the population of brown dots. I'd even go so far as to call him a "good dino"
Do we have a tank shot?
I'll look into what family he could be, but he's not a concern, IMO.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's one of the planktonic (swimming) instead of benthic (substrate) types. The shape is bad for clinging to or navigating substrate.
It's also clear as opposed to pigmented meaning it's not photosynthetic or maybe just barely - some of these guys use chloroplasts temporarily from photosynthetic stuff they ate.
These kinds don't form mats and don't bloom in tanks for any length of time. They eat phytoplankton, small dinos and other random single cell swimming things. They disappear when they clear their prey population.
If the tank has a persistent brown mat/string issue then I don't think he's your culprit. I think the brown dot inside him is a prey item he ingested and could be the issue.
If you had a green water problem, they could clear it for you. He might even be clearing the population of brown dots. I'd even go so far as to call him a "good dino"
Do we have a tank shot?
Thank you!
I was having that same thought too.
His sample is highly active with Mico diversity

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
I was having that same thought too.
His sample is highly active with Mico diversity
If the small brown dots are causing the issue, and he's lucky enough to have a predatory dino (or other predators) that actually eats his problem, then if he just turns off skimmers, socks etc, and lets the bloom run, it ought to fix itself soon like a couple of weeks.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the small brown dots are causing the issue, and he's lucky enough to have a predatory dino (or other predators) that actually eats his problem, then if he just turns off skimmers, socks etc, and lets the bloom run, it ought to fix itself soon like a couple of weeks.
There were a few I saw that didn't have that spot in the center that's what led me to believe they are eating.
I will post up another shot of these green dots from the sample.
@domination2580 I am working hard on this one!

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we are thinking that my strain of dinos are not photosynthetic but eat. So if they eat all my micro bacteria they should go away. What if i dont want them to eat it all?

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do we have a tank shot?
690037af800ec3d76d96fcb04a338c6d.jpg

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true a couple of us have some issues going on with corals and inverts. Myself including, we just don't know if it's due to Metro or fluctuation in nutrients or toxins.

Were those issues starting to happen before metro was dosed? What kind of issues? Total wipe out? What kind of corals and inverts?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20160710_121613.jpg
This is 2500x power non oil
Getting warmer. Those are tiny!
Strangedejavu had some little round golden symbiodinium looking things I think. He can comment if the tank growth form posted looks similar.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 160 44.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 34.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 14.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back