Dinoflagellates my experience......h2o2 reefing tool!!!!!

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sad to say, hydrogen peroxide didn't work for me (Proro & Amphs). Sigh! I was hopeful, but after 5 days of dosing, there was little to no improvement. Luckily I had no losses from the treatment.

I guess I'm back to Silicate dosing and Phyto (which I have already done for months with no results). My dinos are only on the sandbed, but it's had to put in so much work on the tank just to have it look ugly every day.

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on my tank and my 1.25 year long Dino battle. At long last - I think its largely done.

Hydrogen Peroxide dosing did help - but the issue for me is that while it would kill the Dino's - they would simply come back. I was ready to give up but my wife wanted to try Silicate, so we decided to give it a try - and low and behold it solved the problem. My Ostreopsis are gone, and there are some Dino's still on the sand bed but they are not going strong, and Im hoping a few more silicate doses (Ive only done 1 so far) will end those.

My best guess as to what happened is that I once had a vibrant growing tank full of SPS, and I was carbon dosing. Due to an issue with my testing mechanism - which showed I had Nitrate present in the tank (>=5.0 ppm) I actually had bottomed out and the carbon dosing destroyed all of the bacteria in my tank. Since there was no longer silicate present (my tank had consumed it all) the bacteria which feed on silicate/Diatoms (Not sure which) were unable to populate -and this it left a hole for Ostreopsis to drive through and continually destroy my tank. Now that this has been plugged Im optomistic that it can be recovered - which is pretty exciting.

For those that have Ostreopsis and cant get rid of it with Hydrogen Peroxide dosing - I would suggest looking at silicate. If you see an absence of snails in your tank, or your filter feeders are struggling that may be an indication of low silicate -especially when combined with Ostreopsis.

Now on to the sand bed Dino's to figure out whats going on there

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on my tank and my 1.25 year long Dino battle. At long last - I think its largely done.

Hydrogen Peroxide dosing did help - but the issue for me is that while it would kill the Dino's - they would simply come back. I was ready to give up but my wife wanted to try Silicate, so we decided to give it a try - and low and behold it solved the problem. My Ostreopsis are gone, and there are some Dino's still on the sand bed but they are not going strong, and Im hoping a few more silicate doses (Ive only done 1 so far) will end those.

My best guess as to what happened is that I once had a vibrant growing tank full of SPS, and I was carbon dosing. Due to an issue with my testing mechanism - which showed I had Nitrate present in the tank (>=5.0 ppm) I actually had bottomed out and the carbon dosing destroyed all of the bacteria in my tank. Since there was no longer silicate present (my tank had consumed it all) the bacteria which feed on silicate/Diatoms (Not sure which) were unable to populate -and this it left a hole for Ostreopsis to drive through and continually destroy my tank. Now that this has been plugged Im optomistic that it can be recovered - which is pretty exciting.

For those that have Ostreopsis and cant get rid of it with Hydrogen Peroxide dosing - I would suggest looking at silicate. If you see an absence of snails in your tank, or your filter feeders are struggling that may be an indication of low silicate -especially when combined with Ostreopsis.

When this thread just popped up, I read the first post, and saw the mention of silicate feeding dinos... I was about to be like oh hell naaahhh I dosed them to deal with several species of them, and then as I was about to post, I looked at the date haha. Went to the end to see what dug it up, and thought it was funny to see the final post on here be the use of silicates.

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to say, hydrogen peroxide didn't work for me (Proro & Amphs). Sigh! I was hopeful, but after 5 days of dosing, there was little to no improvement. Luckily I had no losses from the treatment.

I guess I'm back to Silicate dosing and Phyto (which I have already done for months with no results). My dinos are only on the sandbed, but it's had to put in so much work on the tank just to have it look ugly every day.

Im wondering if you should take out some of your old sand and replace it with new sand which will trigger diatoms in the sand itself.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im wondering if you should take out some of your old sand and replace it with new sand which will trigger diatoms in the sand itself.
Brightwell sponge excel is pretty dang cheap if its just for the silica, but there may be other bennefits to refreshing some of the sand.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm seeing good results so far knock on wood.

Corals from soft to sps are fine, only the zoa's close up for a few min then open back up.
I found a 4y old video where they vodka dose blah blah but what peeked my interest is Bubbling the tank.

At night the dinos leave the sand bed and I fire up the air stone next to my return pump and litterly turn my tank into a huge skimmer capturing the dinos and I leave the UV on slow flow and dose h202 into the air inlet of the skimmer and today the dinos dont look to bad. I did notice that they did try to escape in some areas along the front glass panel. I could see they were digging themselves deeper into the sand bed, but could've been me by just lightly turkey basting the sand bed just to loosen them up before the lights went out, who knows. Other wise I'll be trying it again tonight and see what Friday mid day looks like. Fingers crossed!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wanted to get this info somewhere where it will help people fighting dinos - feel lucky we got @Jason mack recorded and he makes it simple (not that it doesn't still stink fighting dinos):

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I thought it was time for another update or follow up on the state of my tank. My Dino’s have not returned. About 2-3 months ago I thought I might have seen some - but I continued to dose silicates, and all traces have vanished. I did reduce the amount of silicates Im dosing to half the recommended amount - but regardless - my Dino problem is gone.

A friend had a similar issue - I recommended silicates. It took 3-4 months but it did work eventually and he also got rid of his Dino’s. If anyone is struggling with it - it’s a strong candidate for resolution to your Dino problems - specifically Ostreopsis.

Waldek M.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was time for another update or follow up on the state of my tank. My Dino’s have not returned. About 2-3 months ago I thought I might have seen some - but I continued to dose silicates, and all traces have vanished. I did reduce the amount of silicates Im dosing to half the recommended amount - but regardless - my Dino problem is gone.

A friend had a similar issue - I recommended silicates. It took 3-4 months but it did work eventually and he also got rid of his Dino’s. If anyone is struggling with it - it’s a strong candidate for resolution to your Dino problems - specifically Ostreopsis.
Have you used water glass? How much did you dose while fighting the dino and now, in how many liters and every how many days?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 68 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back