Dinos and green hair algae

Fishtank3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there's a 10000 posts about dinos, but couldn't find one to fit my situation.
Parameters:
Phosphate 0.00 (hanna)
Nitrate 15 (salifert)
Cal 420
Mag 1290
Dkh 8.9
Ph 8

I have an IM AIO 40 long. Been dealing with dinos for about a week now took out carbon and gfo and replacing filter pads every morning and bastering and stirring up sand and rocks daily. But now I have what appears to be hair algae forming on rocks that won't come off. I'm not sure what to do, I've been feeding heavy but stopped my coral foods (read somewhere that you should). Hair algae or dino (not sure which) is starting to annoy my zoas and mushroom. Any help is appreciated

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hand pull out the algae.
When I battled dinos for almost a year, I kind of let the algae grow in the tank in order to create competition and increase biodiversity. Once the dinos receded, I then tackled the algae issues. Once I had a few rocks totally covered in flowing hair algae, I kind of liked the look of it, oddly enough.

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have for a CUC?

Also manual removal is a great start, if it's long enough the easiest method I used when battling was get a toothbrush(new) and put the bristles where it connects to the rock, or anywhere if it's super long and twist it like you would spaghetti, if pulls right off the rock and prevents it from floating away all over your tank

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero phosphates is a clear indication that everything may start to go wrong

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20230107_134234_Facebook.jpg

The Ginga Ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there's a 10000 posts about dinos, but couldn't find one to fit my situation.
Parameters:
Phosphate 0.00 (hanna)
Nitrate 15 (salifert)
Cal 420
Mag 1290
Dkh 8.9
Ph 8

I have an IM AIO 40 long. Been dealing with dinos for about a week now took out carbon and gfo and replacing filter pads every morning and bastering and stirring up sand and rocks daily. But now I have what appears to be hair algae forming on rocks that won't come off. I'm not sure what to do, I've been feeding heavy but stopped my coral foods (read somewhere that you should). Hair algae or dino (not sure which) is starting to annoy my zoas and mushroom. Any help is appreciated
Hi! Hey the one thing I didn't see in your description was whether or not you have a UV sterilizer, do you have one of those yet? If you do, I've gotten rid of dinos about 4 times with the following method (6-8 days):

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 93 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back