Dinos gone through silicate dosing.

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
transferred my tank over a couple weeks ago and everything was fine as I thought I killed the dinos through peroxide dip and coral rx. realized corals can also ingest the dinos so essentially the dips did nothing besides helping me not transfer pests (which is still a plus). dinos started beginning of this week. started dosing silicates into the tank and dinos are nowhere to be seen only 4 days later as diatoms have overtaken then. yes the tank is hazy and orange but I have 0 dinos at the moment. snails are happy to eat the diatoms as well because they've been super active since dinos were overtaken by them.

will have to see if keeping po4 and nitrates in balance as detectable levels will keep it at bay now. if not I'll continue to dose some silicates along with my water changes and will have to purchase a silicate test kit. blind dosing at the moment but followed bottle directions and didn't overdo it.

I used spongexcel.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
transferred my tank over a couple weeks ago and everything was fine as I thought I killed the dinos through peroxide dip and coral rx. realized corals can also ingest the dinos so essentially the dips did nothing besides helping me not transfer pests (which is still a plus). dinos started beginning of this week. started dosing silicates into the tank and dinos are nowhere to be seen only 4 days later as diatoms have overtaken then. yes the tank is hazy and orange but I have 0 dinos at the moment. snails are happy to eat the diatoms as well because they've been super active since dinos were overtaken by them.

will have to see if keeping po4 and nitrates in balance as detectable levels will keep it at bay now. if not I'll continue to dose some silicates along with my water changes and will have to purchase a silicate test kit. blind dosing at the moment but followed bottle directions and didn't overdo it.

I used spongexcel.
Sounds like a happy ending.

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you dosing amount wise? I just asked Randy about this as I’m using the same product and same problem.

Post 5 and 6

The Ginga Ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rid of my dinos in 8 days and didn't have to add much other than bacterias... didn't experience an algae breakout either afterwards :) I've used this method about 4 times now and it's always worked, just posting here in case it helps (sounds like you might have had a few blooms of dinos since your first round of success):

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rid of my dinos in 8 days and didn't have to add much other than bacterias... didn't experience an algae breakout either afterwards :) I've used this method about 4 times now and it's always worked, just posting here in case it helps (sounds like you might have had a few blooms of dinos since your first round of success):

Do you ever wonder that if it really worked why it had to be used four times? I have encountered the same thing with claims about cyanobacteria cures that needed to be repeatedly applied.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you ever wonder that if it really worked why it had to be used four times? I have encountered the same thing with claims about cyanobacteria cures that needed to be repeatedly applied.
I think he means 4 sperate tanks? if not then yeah it's not a fix. the fix is stability. that's literally it. a more diverse biome. introduce pods. feed phytoplankton. dose bacteria. add some live rock if possible and wait.

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience was that dinos disappear everytime with silicate dosing + blackout+ peroxide. I usually keep dosing silicates for a while and slowly decrease until I stop. This helps keeping things stable I think, since stopping suddenly would make all the biodiversity that relies on silicate to starve and leave a free spot for dinos to occur once more

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of people and products can make dinos "disappear"; what makes them "stay away" so to speak has my interest

Back