Dinos or Diatoms?? HELP

jeep454

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 10, 2023
Messages
37
Reaction score
10
Location
Lake Worth
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a recent post I made complaining about diatoms...I was losing the battle and realized as the bloom got worse I may in fact have a Dino issue. I know there are plenty of ways to fight this but I need a bit of guidance. Substrate is 75% covered with them siphoning works but they reappear by the morning. They seem to cover the glass too. I attached photos of both substrate and glass. I'll also note nothing really seems to be blanketing the live rock.
20230903_213952.jpg
20230903_214008.jpg
20230903_214055.jpg

Tank info:
-30 gallon
-7Lbs of live rock
-1.5 inch of live sand substrate
-165W reef light that Is on for 11-12h
-1 powerhead
-Xenia
-GSP
-Condy
-Mandarin Goby
-2 Percula Clowns
-1 Arrow Crab
-2 Trochus Snails
-1 Nassarius Snails
-2 large Nerite Snails

-79 Water temp
-phosphate barely detectable
-Nitrate <5
-Calcium 400
-PH 8.2
-KH 8
-Salinity 1.028

New Sump is a 10 gallon with baffles
-filter sock
-protein Skimmer
-media bags with ceramic rings
-activated carbon
-UV Sterilizer
 
So fix your nutrient parameters and turkey baste your sand everyday to get them into the water column while your UV is on
 
Some dinos won’t respond to UV or blasting. The best thing to do to start with is to ID them with a microscope.

You can still do other methods while you find the microscope, it won’t hurt.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new