Dinos over 1 year

AquaPhilNJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had dinos so long I feel my self giving up a little, been so long can't remember 1 year maybe more? I've read many things before. I maintain nitrate 4 ppm , phosphate 0.03ppm. So I dont' understand why it remains. Here's a pic and my aquarium logs https://www.aquaticlog.com/aquariums/aquaphilnj/1/parameters. I hope in distant future I keep buying corals and they have no more area to spread due to shade. It all started when I used to some BRS carbon in my reactor, which I dont' use at all now. Then never got better.

I use 5 micron filter in sump, its a BRS reactor with pump, heard that might help. I use tooth brush to clean rocks off sometimes. The dinos are oddly more on rocks than sand maybe because fish move the sand alot. I've read about people trying to identify which type of dino they have but regardless solutions all seem the same so don't understand that point.

PXL_20211006_194840501.jpg

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had them for probably 18 months before i changed my strategy and overcame them. I don't know if you've identified the strain via microscope but that is VERY helpful in creating the plan of attack.
that being said, you wouldn't be the first and won't be the last if you outright were to do a hard restart

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons is the tank

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents. They will flourish with just light until they are over run by a more competitive organism. You can try a long drawn out battle to kill them off with all kinds of techniques, but the odds of winning are low until you get other organisms in there. Live rock and live sand are the go to, to get some diversity in the tank. NO3 and PO4 are always brought up as a cure, but what their real impact is, is feeding the other micros to fight the battle.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a 55 gallon reef, that means you have a special way to clean the tank out and likely win, and that's not been used yet. do you want to see a thread where we do rip cleans for six years straight, about 150 of the examples are around 55 gallons. you can check their update posts to see how things went, which were awesome.

if your reef was 255 gallons that's not practical, but it is for an easy 55 gallons. rip cleans are how you prep reefs to move homes, be taken apart, and not die when you get to the new home. that disassembly /cleaning/reassembly process can fix your dinos, we have jobs logged doing so. its via cleaning, not chemistry. physicality.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the specific way you'd harness a rip clean to fix your tank was like how we handled Cook's tank, first read example in the sand rinse thread

you'd remove the sandbed all at once, beat dinos as a bare bottom setup, and then put rinsed clean sand back weeks later only when dinos are beaten, and it'll work. removing the sand wouldnt be harmful, we wouldnt set a harmful action as the key direction for your job. its a key tested strategy. well documented too.

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the specific way you'd harness a rip clean to fix your tank was like how we handled Cook's tank, first read example in the sand rinse thread

you'd remove the sandbed all at once, beat dinos as a bare bottom setup, and then put rinsed clean sand back weeks later only when dinos are beaten, and it'll work. removing the sand wouldnt be harmful, we wouldnt set a harmful action as the key direction for your job. its a key tested strategy. well documented too.
Can you re-link that thread from Cook’s rip clean?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go thru how it can be defeated, but it would just be easier to ask you to look at my build thread. I had a nasty case of Dino's in my tank upgrade, and, I defeated them. I am now going thru a nasty case of GHA, LOL, but it's the end of this fight. ;)

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go thru how it can be defeated, but it would just be easier to ask you to look at my build thread. I had a nasty case of Dino's in my tank upgrade, and, I defeated them. I am now going thru a nasty case of GHA, LOL, but it's the end of this fight. ;)
Lol same here dinos was not fun!! How I conquered (osteo) UV + only blue lights + introducing a lot of micro organisms (think putting macro in DT like chaeto / caulerpa to have competition ) added miracle mud / probidio digest and now I have no dinos knock on wood

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that is fifty pages of rip cleans for patterning, Cook's is link #1 page 1 after my vase rinse clarity proof video thanks tons for checking.

pls upload any rip cleans you do we like patterns over and over same steps and outcomes, those are holding consistent too. gotta be ultra mean to that sand though...

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol same here dinos was not fun!! How I conquered (osteo) UV + only blue lights + introducing a lot of micro organisms (think putting macro in DT like chaeto / caulerpa to have competition ) added miracle mud / probidio digest and now I have no dinos knock on wood
No UV or Violet? Just royal and blue?

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that is fifty pages of rip cleans for patterning, Cook's is link #1 page 1 after my vase rinse clarity proof video thanks tons for checking.

pls upload any rip cleans you do we like patterns over and over same steps and outcomes, those are holding consistent too. gotta be ultra mean to that sand though...
Rip clean is the way.

All other methods I’ve tried have failed. Guess I know what I’m doing this weekend ha ha

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had prorocentrum, UV sterilizer, which I ran mostly at night, along with frequent blowing/cleaning helped me beat them.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its so brutish. do primal screams for best effect as the delicate reef system is completely disassembled into pieces, and doubt about what random dudes on the web advise comes into fair play. but if you are cloudless, then after pics of gold happen. the risk is under doing rinses and leaving cloud, not over doing them

@shadow_k carries the rip clean club well.

he sent me his most recent rip clean update from dinos we got a very good rinse here. I'm not saying every dinos tank will respond this well, its the top scourge in reefing, but its still fun to brag on good pics.
r4.jpeg

I think these are two weeks post rip clean now, after full tank disassembly/reset no bottle bac skip cycle.

Last edited:

NanoReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I beat Dinos with a UV sterilizer, shortened my lighting schedule to 6 hours with only blue channels, and dosed Dino X. Be careful with Dino X. It is a harsh treatment. I lost my cleaner shrimp and an acro after dosing it. The other corals in my tank were fine. After a week of implementing this system, the dinos were completely gone. I also did a large water change after the dinos were gone to remove the Dino x. Hope this helps. Good luck.

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes even thou my tank was 20 gallons the rip clean was worth it 100+ sand rinses to get all the nasties out and quick swish and scrub of my rock my corals never looked better and since the sand is cloud free no more dust storms !

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my dinos are starting to dwindle, shorter photocycle, H202 and UV. Less hairy, stringy crap everywhere, but also seeing hydroids on the glass.
My Nitrates are pretty high, so hopefully that is feeding my bacteria and aiding the battle, but 25-30 is out of control considering how little I feed and how much I skim along with 10% WC a week... Bad API test?

I also found belting out obscenities while scrubbing rocks seems to help.

If I had a small tank with little to no corals, I would probably do a hard reset.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back