Dinos?

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
Hey everyone, wondering if my tank has dinos. Tank is relatively new around 2 months old setup with live rock, the algae/Dino I need ID’d is web like and cover everything, any help is appreciated.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little air bubbles in the snot is usually the key to knowing if you have dinos. If you got bubbles, you got dinos. If no bubbles, more likely cyano (not a perfect science..but general rule of thumb in my book).

Couple things that are normal:

1. Someone is going to ask 'what are your levels'? One of the primary causes of dinos is bottomed out nitrates and phosphates. If you are at Zeros, even more possibility that you have dinos.
2. Someone is going to suggest that you get a mircoscope and see what type of dinos you have. One type can be addressed with a UV sterilizer while the other needs a black out period.
3. Keep levels of nitrate and phosphate in your tank to stay ahead of these buggers.

There are plenty of threads on how to deal with dinos. I have had my experiences with them and have gone through a couple of black outs. Took me some time to beat them back. Every now and then i see a small bubble on my rocks which causes me to instantly test my levels. I have even done a preventive blackout when i saw more than a few stray bubbles. you gotta stay ahead of these. They are monsters.

OP
OP
C

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little air bubbles in the snot is usually the key to knowing if you have dinos. If you got bubbles, you got dinos. If no bubbles, more likely cyano (not a perfect science..but general rule of thumb in my book).

Couple things that are normal:

1. Someone is going to ask 'what are your levels'? One of the primary causes of dinos is bottomed out nitrates and phosphates. If you are at Zeros, even more possibility that you have dinos.
2. Someone is going to suggest that you get a mircoscope and see what type of dinos you have. One type can be addressed with a UV sterilizer while the other needs a black out period.
3. Keep levels of nitrate and phosphate in your tank to stay ahead of these buggers.

There are plenty of threads on how to deal with dinos. I have had my experiences with them and have gone through a couple of black outs. Took me some time to beat them back. Every now and then i see a small bubble on my rocks which causes me to instantly test my levels. I have even done a preventive blackout when i saw more than a few stray bubbles. you gotta stay ahead of these. They are monsters.
Alright, good to know, thanks for the reply! Hopefully I can get rid of these guys, luckily I only have a few mushrooms in there right now.

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably yes.
Probably Ostreopsidaceae.
UV possible solution BUT (VERY IMPORTANT) check if you really have dinos and this type.

Check this totally worth it:

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 61 28.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 47 21.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 25 11.6%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back