Dipping and acclimating corals (softies)

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltines,

I tried looking for a thread on dipping and acclimating corals but couldn't find anything that speaks to both and how it's done. I will most likely be starting with softies.

Do I get them acclimated in a separate container and then dip or do I dip and then acclimate? I'm totally confused as to the process. Also, can I do Coral RX and PolypLab Reef Primer? Do they tackle different things or is this a waste of money?

I'm starting to get my supplies purchased in preparation of adding corals.

drewwCh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltines,

I tried looking for a thread on dipping and acclimating corals but couldn't find anything that speaks to both and how it's done. I will most likely be starting with softies.

Do I get them acclimated in a separate container and then dip or do I dip and then acclimate? I'm totally confused as to the process. Also, can I do Coral RX and PolypLab Reef Primer? Do they tackle different things or is this a waste of money?

I'm starting to get my supplies purchased in preparation of adding corals.
I usually temp acclimate while the coral is in the bag, then dip in Bayer or Melafix mixed with tank water in a clear container, rinse with more tank water, and then plop it into the tank on the sandbed to acclimate to my lighting. Everybody does it differently though, so maybe others will chime in with a better method.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow the instructions on the coral dip after floating for roughly 30 mins .
image.jpg

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually temp acclimate while the coral is in the bag, then dip in Bayer or Melafix mixed with tank water in a clear container, rinse with more tank water, and then plop it into the tank on the sandbed to acclimate to my lighting. Everybody does it differently though, so maybe others will chime in with a better method.
Thanks for this! Yes, I'm sure you're right about people having their own methods so I appreciate getting a few ideas. :)

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow the instructions on the coral dip after floating for roughly 30 mins .
image.jpg
Excellent, thanks for this! I have not seen Revive before so I'm checking that out right now. My tank has been doing really well (it's just fish only at the moment) and as much as I want to start adding corals I am kind of freaked out about the pests. I want to make sure I do as much as possible to avoid introducing those to my tank! :)

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent, thanks for this! I have not seen Revive before so I'm checking that out right now. My tank has been doing really well (it's just fish only at the moment) and as much as I want to start adding corals I am kind of freaked out about the pests. I want to make sure I do as much as possible to avoid introducing those to my tank! :)
I think I got revive from @fragbox in Toronto .

great place for frags too …

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this! I will check them out. I think I have them on my list of Canadian reef shops. :)
They don’t ship livestock to the US unfortunately. Don’t be too concerned about hitchhikers. Learn the common (bad) ones to look out for and always dip new corals, but IMO hitchhikers have been overly demonized to the point that new reefers are paranoid about them. IME, the best practice for adding corals to the tank is to float, dip, rinse, and put in the tank. There is no need to drip acclimate or slowly add water to the container, corals are self acclimating and do best/adjust to new conditions fastest by getting them into flowing water ASAP. You do want to drip acclimate inverts (especially clams) and fish though.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don’t ship livestock to the US unfortunately. Don’t be too concerned about hitchhikers. Learn the common (bad) ones to look out for and always dip new corals, but IMO hitchhikers have been overly demonized to the point that new reefers are paranoid about them. IME, the best practice for adding corals to the tank is to float, dip, rinse, and put in the tank. There is no need to drip acclimate or slowly add water to the container, corals are self acclimating and do best/adjust to new conditions fastest by getting them into flowing water ASAP. You do want to drip acclimate inverts (especially clams) and fish though.
Thanks for this, especially your reference to corals self acclimating! What a relief. That's what I was trying to figure out... How to dip and then drip acclimate but if acclimation isn't needed for corals that makes it easier. :) Also... I'm in Toronto. I'm only starting to get myself familiarized with the local LFS's as I get closer to being able to add corals.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back