dipping coral options?

reefguy565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All... I been researching corals and how to quarantine them. I came across the dipping corals section and wanted to know which of the so many products people use is the best?

here is what i found so far.

bayer coral dip
revive coral dip
coral RX

is there 1 product that is a must for any and all corals from sps to lps etc?

Here is the process i was thinking about doing:
1- once i receive the sps, cut the plug off and acclimate in water for 1 hour
2- dip new sps
3- glue new sps to new plug and place in qt tank for 1 week then dip again for safe measures.
4- back into qt for another 1-2 week and after that into dt

i would probably do this 1 sps at a time so if other sps are infected it does not spread.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good reefguy - an in-the-bag temperature acclimation, a dipping procedure in Bayer then quarantine for observation. The second dip is a good idea, as some pests have an egg incubation period of 1-3 weeks, so I read.

I might suggest a two or three stage rinse in separate containers of display water after the dip, so as to do what you can to remove the Bayer, and not introduce it into quarantine. I use dedicated tupperwares for each rinse stage. I have also heard not to dip smooth skinned SPS, but will let the experts speak to this if so inclined.

I would also add that the introduction into the display be by drip method, over a few hours, as by design your QT will be different than the DT.

Although I understand the logic behind removal of the originating frag plug, I typically don't do it until I mount the coral permanently. At that time, a little damage to the coral base can actually promote healing and encrustation in my experience.

For LPS, I use Lugols, and not Bayer. No real reason other than I don't want the LPS to inflate with or retain any Bayer as they go back into my QT/DT, and, with LPS my concern is more for brown jelly. Silly perhaps as LPS are surely just as likely to have common pests. Again, will see what the experts say...

HTH

Ray Linnabary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the Bayer dip method. It only costs about $10 from Home Depot. I dipped each coral for 5 minutes with the Bayer treatment, in my DT water. I used 5ml / 8 ounces of water. Then, I rinsed them in clean DT water and let them set in the clean water for 10 minutes. One of the colonies I bought was pretty big, so I just added the Bayer to the bag that the coral came in. So far, it has been about 2 months and everything is doing well.

OP
OP
R

reefguy565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I be going overboard by removing the frag from the plug , dipping and then glue onto new plug then 2-3 weeks in QT tank ?

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I be going overboard by removing the frag from the plug , dipping and then glue onto new plug then 2-3 weeks in QT tank ?

This is what I always do to help prevent any eggs or algae from getting to the DT.

I also inspect carefully with a lighted loop after dipping.
Bayer dip doesn't kill the eggs.

ReeferBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May not be so clear to others. The post above mine states Bayer does not kill eggs. I'm just clarifying that none of the listed dips will kill pest eggs. My recommendation is to dip everything and use a toothbrush to ensure you wipe out any eggs on base and plug. If you feel better about a QT then go for it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back