Dipping frogspawsn...still some issues.

IPT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 head frogspawn that was doing ok then not so great over a period of time. I did not dip when I first got it. All parameters were good and both hammers are , doign well. I got some Coral Rx and dipped it and bunch of stuff came off of it. It started to look better, until it started not expanding as much. DIpped again, several times now, usually without consistency.

So, now I am dipping every day for 5 days to make sure I get it all off. I also scrubbed the base with a toothbrush. I'm sure live good stuff gets on it overnight and between dips. Can one really expect to dip a coral and not have anything come off? I also got some Bayers. i will try that once I read up on the procedure.

I guess the main question is how many dips are required and can you expect a clean dip (nothing come off) at the last "required" dip?

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I have two hammers that aren't opening very well for some unknown reason. I've dipped in Coral Rx and Iodine. Neither helped. I raised magnesium and nitrate. Tried target feeding. Looked at the bases at night. Nothing. Hopefully someone can help us.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pic would really help.

Personally, I think repeated dipping like that is detrimental to the coral, it is stressed every time you handle it. IMO, if no improvement after 2-3 dips, should start to look for other causes.

OP
OP
I

IPT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pic would really help.

Personally, I think repeated dipping like that is detrimental to the coral, it is stressed every time you handle it. IMO, if no improvement after 2-3 dips, should start to look for other causes.
Interesting, according the BRS they say it can take multiple dips due to the soft tissue retracting and protecting the "bugs". Not they they are the gospel, but tat made sense to me.

Pictures of what? The "bugs" are so small it's hard to see anything except some black spec and an occasional small worm. A day or two after dipping it seems to open more fully then after a week or two starts not opening as much. Seemed to me like maybe some eggs were hatching and the cycle was starting again.

I'll be interested is hearing other peoples thoughts as well.

OP
OP
I

IPT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I have two hammers that aren't opening very well for some unknown reason. I've dipped in Coral Rx and Iodine. Neither helped. I raised magnesium and nitrate. Tried target feeding. Looked at the bases at night. Nothing. Hopefully someone can help us.
See, I have two hammers in the same are of my tank and they both are fully extended and happy. At least in my case I don't think it is parameter based. Do you have any other LPS? What do they look like?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 76.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back