Dipping

Discussion in 'General SPS Discussion' started by cccharliecc, Feb 9, 2018.

1. cccharliecc

cccharliecc Well-Known Member

I am preparing for some first corals to a new tank and want to take all the necessary precautions now and try to eliminate any issues later on.

My question is ....Should I go with Coral Rx or Bayer Complete Insect Killer for the corals?
    If Bayer is recommended...does anyone have instructions on the dipping procedure?

I was also thinking of cutting the corals off the plugs they come on and using my own new ones....would you recommend this as well?

Thank you!

Tags:

2. redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish Stay Positive, Stay Productive R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor NJRC Member

Regardless of the dip you use, remove the frag from the plug (unless they are plastic). The reason is that the porous plugs absorb dip and then doesn't completely rinse off and now leaches dip into your tank.

As far as the dip, whatever dip you feel comfortable with. I use Bayer....1 ml per 100 mls of tank water...for 15 minutes. This is followed by two separate rinses.

C-Reefer and Robink like this.
  3. cccharliecc

And do you use the same method for soft, lps, and sps?

4. redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish Stay Positive, Stay Productive R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor NJRC Member

Yep!

5. Coronus

Coronus Well-Known Member

I use Bayer and it works. I use it at the rate of 10ml per cup of tank water.
    Inspect the corals for pest first before adding the dip. Then remove the plug. I remove the plug because eggs hide in the crevisis and you can’t always see them. Dip does not work on encased eggs. Removing the plug is an important part. Then toss the plug.

6. cccharliecc

Excellent...I’m going to use Bayer...just ordered some so I have it in hand.

What if the coral is encrusted, where do you cut it then?

7. Coronus

If its encrusted you will need to cut or remove it off the plug. Remove it as close the plug as possible. I actually just did this a minute ago with a Rouge Milli. It was encrusted. I tightened the cutters then gently pulled it of with out cutting it. So just the original Frag is what’s left. Toss the plug after. I didn’t enjoy doing that as it was a nice green rim but I would rather not risk my entire tank on 1 Frag plug.

8. cccharliecc

Good point....why risk it.
    Do you suggest dipping first with Coral rx to see if any bugs fall off then doing the Bayer? Only because with the Bayer you can't see anything?

9. Coronus

I dont have experience with coral RX. I have always used bayer. This is the reason you inspect the coral first before adding the dip. I use a turkey bastor and blow the coral pretty aggressively to see if any pest come off before adding the dip. I also use a magnifying lamp with a light to inspect. Then a jewelry loupe. Remove from the plug. Inspect the bottom for eggs. Then add the dip. I do it for 20 min using the bastor a few times to see if a pest was hiding. Blasting the coral. After 20 I move to a container of tank water and inpsect again. And still basting. 15 min move to another container. This will rinse all the dip off.
    Then I replug.

10. cccharliecc

Sounds good, I will probably do those methods as well. I have a jewelry loupe and an Eschenback magnifier with light so I will use those to inspect.
    When you say you blow it first, do you mean with the baster in tank water initially, then go to the dip steps?

11. Coronus

Yes

12. Pedoconfuego

Pedoconfuego Well-Known Member

Other good dips

Melafix Marine
    Revive
    Coral rx pro
    Iodine, freshwater and peroxide are a few dips that can be helpful with certain things but this is for specific things you normally don't encounter and normally for zoanthids. Except iodine is good to put a drop in any dip container where damaged or peeling/necrosis acropora are being cleaned, as long as it's a half gallon or so normally won't hurt acropora.

13. HolisticBear

HolisticBear Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I like this video. 14minutes covers his entire approach.

14. BangedUp

BangedUp Member

Be careful, Bayer will kill any shrimp you have in the tank no matter how many times you rinse

15. cccharliecc

So if I have 5 new corals...do you use the same dip bowl with bayer for all of them, or do you change it for each one each time? Also can you dip 5 at a time?

16. markalot

markalot Comic Relief R2R Supporter

All my shrimp are still alive, you must have made some mistake.

Bayer is gentler on corals than the other dips, no kidding. I only use Bayer, triple rinse in tank water in 3 separate containers. Peppermint and cleaner shrimps never effected.

Sagecritter4life and mdbannister like this.
  17. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Excellence Award SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

I have to agree with @markalot. I use Bayer, and I've got peppermint shrimp that have been with me a long time.

Sagecritter4life likes this.
  18. C-Reefer

C-Reefer Member Build Thread Contributor

Draft saved Draft deleted