Direct Sunlight Resulting in > 1100 PAR!!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter ksliech
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I have had many successful tanks right in the front of windows and letting in as much natural light as possible.

In the summer, my basement windows get blasted with morning light and I crank all the blinds open so my old 250g tank would get as much sun as I could give it.

You sure your bleaching and lightening issues aren’t from low nutrients or lack of food?

Let me see if I can dig up a pic of my tank with the sun on it
 
To get a better idea of how long I'm getting blasted with sun, I found "Sun position and path" for iOS, which uses AR to show you where the sun is going to be. It's actually quite good. I squatted down and positioned the camera right next to the tank for the proper perspective.

From the side window shown in the original photo:
IMG_5198.jpeg

It's hard to read but it's getting direct sunlight from 11:30-2:15PM, so nearly 3 hours. During this time is where I was measuring the crazy 1100 PAR. Looking at the winter numbers, it's going to get just a little lower. The summer numbers were way higher and beyond the windows, so this window won't get direct light for much of the year. This light comes in from the left side of the tank, which I have a reasonable chance of blocking.

Here's the other window that I was worried about:
IMG_5202.jpeg

We're getting blasted from around 8:30AM - 10:15AM, so just under 2 hours. I imagine the sun is less strong during this time, but will measure in the morning. This light comes in the FRONT of the tank, which will be super hard to block.

My temporary partial fix is to affix a piece of black poster board to the left side of the tank, which will take care of the bulk of the direct sun from 11:30-2:15, but some will go over the top of the paper and reflect internally and still blast my 'shrooms.

Will see how this is looking tomorrow...

I really appreciate all the ideas here! Especially the insane pics, lol
 
I have had many successful tanks right in the front of windows and letting in as much natural light as possible.

In the summer, my basement windows get blasted with morning light and I crank all the blinds open so my old 250g tank would get as much sun as I could give it.

You sure your bleaching and lightening issues aren’t from low nutrients or lack of food?

Let me see if I can dig up a pic of my tank with the sun on it
You have a good point, and have been worried the tank was too clean, so I just removed the roller mat the other day. I just can't imagine 1100 PAR on my acros or 500 PAR on my zoas and shrooms is a recipe for success either.
 

Attachments

  • Ds4Y6rlU0AADKDT.jpg
    Ds4Y6rlU0AADKDT.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 74
You have a good point, and have been worried the tank was too clean, so I just removed the roller mat the other day. I just can't imagine 1100 PAR on my acros or 500 PAR on my zoas and shrooms is a recipe for success either.

While it is different, they get blasted with way more than that in the ocean. Many acros are fully out of the water getting blasted by the sun for parts of the day.
 
You have a good point, and have been worried the tank was too clean, so I just removed the roller mat the other day. I just can't imagine 1100 PAR on my acros or 500 PAR on my zoas and shrooms is a recipe for success either.
Joking aside, I could use this sort of par for my ever growing maxima clam collection :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
 
I have had many successful tanks right in the front of windows and letting in as much natural light as possible.

In the summer, my basement windows get blasted with morning light and I crank all the blinds open so my old 250g tank would get as much sun as I could give it.

You sure your bleaching and lightening issues aren’t from low nutrients or lack of food?

Let me see if I can dig up a pic of my tank with the sun on it
This was my first thought too, I question if that San Francisco sun is really the issue.
 
You have a good point, and have been worried the tank was too clean, so I just removed the roller mat the other day. I just can't imagine 1100 PAR on my acros or 500 PAR on my zoas and shrooms is a recipe for success either.
Less than 2 hours of natural sun... What are your PO3/NO4 and alkalinity? And current photoperiod
 
Put up some tint that will reduce sun but still allow a view out. I have dark tint on my car but I can see out just fine.
 
I have had many successful tanks right in the front of windows and letting in as much natural light as possible.

In the summer, my basement windows get blasted with morning light and I crank all the blinds open so my old 250g tank would get as much sun as I could give it.

You sure your bleaching and lightening issues aren’t from low nutrients or lack of food?

Let me see if I can dig up a pic of my tank with the sun on it
I'll 2nd this. People used to light tanks with solar tubes years ago. O2manyfish grew frag systems in direct sunlight outdoors. Corals can adapt and thrive with sunlight.
 
Less than 2 hours of natural sun... What are your PO3/NO4 and alkalinity? And current photoperiod

Measurements:
Phosphate: 0.04 ppm (Hanna HI774 ULR)
Nitrate: Undetectable (Red Sea)
Alk: 9 dKH (Trident)
CA: 430 ppm (Trident)
Salinity: 1.026 SG

Regarding my very low phosphate and nitrate: I've got chaeto in the sump growing well, which I added when I was having hair algae issues (now completely gone). Inside the tank I've got a lot of dictyota creeping up that I want it to compete with.

Photoperiod
Kessil's are on from 10AM to 10PM (2 hour ramp up and down included)
Direct sun starts around 8:30AM and lasts till around 2:15PM, so that really drags the photoperiod out from 12 hours to more like 13.5 which is pretty long...

Given the direct sun, maybe I should delay the Kessil's start up to coincide with the direct sunlight fading away. In addition, I could also turn the lights off earlier but it's eating into the evening viewing time.

What do you think?
 
Measurements:
Phosphate: 0.04 ppm (Hanna HI774 ULR)
Nitrate: Undetectable (Red Sea)
Alk: 9 dKH (Trident)
CA: 430 ppm (Trident)
Salinity: 1.026 SG

Regarding my very low phosphate and nitrate: I've got chaeto in the sump growing well, which I added when I was having hair algae issues (now completely gone). Inside the tank I've got a lot of dictyota creeping up that I want it to compete with.

Photoperiod
Kessil's are on from 10AM to 10PM (2 hour ramp up and down included)
Direct sun starts around 8:30AM and lasts till around 2:15PM, so that really drags the photoperiod out from 12 hours to more like 13.5 which is pretty long...

Given the direct sun, maybe I should delay the Kessil's start up to coincide with the direct sunlight fading away. In addition, I could also turn the lights off earlier but it's eating into the evening viewing time.

What do you think?
That is pretty low nutrients and long photoperiod.
You could do what you suggested.
Or shorten the maxed out photoperiod in the middle to be less than 8 hours at full intensity.
Regardless, I’d get nutrients up a little bit, I don’t like undetectable
 
Alright, here's what I've done for my light concerns:
  • Covered the left side of the tank that gets the most sun with black posterboard
  • Adjusted my photoperiod to not have the peak overlap with the peak direct sun
IMG_0869D1409E5E-1.jpeg


In case it's nutrients, I've removed the roller mat and will increase feeding a bit.

We'll see how things go. Thanks for the help!
 
shade cloth is what the clam farmers use, comes in different colors and blockage %
 
I've used a piece of black acrylic panel on my 60 gal cube that's right next to window. I've got it held up with my gyre pump and frag rock rack magnets. I've got it set up on the panel that directly faces the window. For me it works pretty good, even added some ocean life stickers I've gotten from different vendors to give it a little interest.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 31 30.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new