OP
OP
DirkCourage

DirkCourage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very Nice. How do you like that little magnifying glass? I don't think I have seen those before.
Thanks. Yeah, I like it. Especially with the corals, there’s great stuff going on I would never see without it. Aside from that hitchhiking mushroom, the other zoa frag has a couple of fan worms. Super cool.

jramy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After much planning, setup and organizing, I’ve got water in the Waterbox! Dosing Dr. Tim’s tomorrow. Past that, I plan on taking my sweet time filling it up.

Waterbox 20 gallon Cube

Equipment:

Ai Prime 16 LED
Vortec MP-10 powerhead
Sicce 1.0 return
Eheim 100W heater
Tunze 9001 skimmer
Reef Keepers Prism ATO
Filter cup w/floss + carbon in chamber 1

Stocking Plan (straight down the fairway):
2x Clowns
1x Goby + Pistol shrimp (love a High Fin Gobi)
1x Dottyback (Orchid/Purple/Bicolor)
1x Cleaner Shrimp
1x Emerald Crab
1x Pom-Pom or Porcelain crab
+ urchin or sexy shrimp (and usual CUC of course)

Corals:
Softy and LPS dominant
GSP and Xenia (crazy right?)
Zoanthids, Cloves, Alveopora, Euphilias, Favas, Acans
Not so into Singularia, leathers

67D5AEEE-40C7-44FB-BE3D-CAF277C094D3.jpeg
Hey there, I see you say filter cup, is that the little attachment from intank I keep seeing? I have my 20 cube up on the stand but getting advice for filtration. Your build is super close to what I want to do so figured I would ask. Also hows it going with the skimmer? On or off? I dont want one unless I have to so your opinion is valuable lol :D

OP
OP
DirkCourage

DirkCourage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, I see you say filter cup, is that the little attachment from intank I keep seeing? I have my 20 cube up on the stand but getting advice for filtration. Your build is super close to what I want to do so figured I would ask. Also hows it going with the skimmer? On or off? I dont want one unless I have to so your opinion is valuable lol :D
I got the cup from Kraken Reef ($16 + shipping.) It’s fine. Stuffing some filter material in there is easier than dealing with the sock. However, I’d probably recommend the InTank media tray for chamber 1. I got one for chamber 2 before I got the tank, so i hadn’t really thought things out. It’s quality though, and compared to the Kraken Cup it’s a better value.

I haven’t had the skimmer on, and after testing its safe to say it was not doing a dang thing, not even impacting PH. I think I’m going to pull it. With that room in 2, I can improve my heater game, and am interested in trying some kind of refugium with a submersible light.

Congrats on the tank, I think you’ll really like it!

jramy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the chamber 1 tray from them as my ATO. I was curious also could the heater fit in chamber 2 with stock filter media? Wanting to get all the filter stuff out of the way before I start the cycle.

OP
OP
DirkCourage

DirkCourage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the chamber 1 tray from them as my ATO. I was curious also could the heater fit in chamber 2 with stock filter media? Wanting to get all the filter stuff out of the way before I start the cycle.
Yeah, tons of room without a skimmer. I’m looking at adding a second heater in 2 w/Inkbird control to protect against heater failure. With the media tray in 1, your filter media and carbon will be running in there. No one (Waterbox included) uses the supplied bio balls, and the sponges are detritus traps. You don’t need them. I have some extra branch rock in 2 for additional bacterial surface area. Many people use ceramic bio media in there.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, tons of room without a skimmer. I’m looking at adding a second heater in 2 w/Inkbird control to protect against heater failure. With the media tray in 1, your filter media and carbon will be running in there. No one (Waterbox included) uses the supplied bio balls, and the sponges are detritus traps. You don’t need them. I have some extra branch rock in 2 for additional bacterial surface area. Many people use ceramic bio media in there.

What would ideally go in a filter media basket? I have a sponge, carbon and ceramic rings.

OP
OP
DirkCourage

DirkCourage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would ideally go in a filter media basket? I have a sponge, carbon and ceramic rings.
I would ditch the sponge, they’re not great filters and can be hard to clean. A couple layers of polycarbon fiber that you can buy in bulk (I’m using “Lifegard Aquatics Pre-Filter Pad” from BRS) for filtration works well. Not too much that it hinders flow, and you can just replace as needed as opposed to washing out expensive filter socks.

I got some Chemipure Blue to try, but so far 1/4 cup of ROX carbon every two weeks has been working. My PO3 has crept up a tad, so it might be time to see how the Chemipure impacts it.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would ditch the sponge, they’re not great filters and can be hard to clean. A couple layers of polycarbon fiber that you can buy in bulk (I’m using “Lifegard Aquatics Pre-Filter Pad” from BRS) for filtration works well. Not too much that it hinders flow, and you can just replace as needed as opposed to washing out expensive filter socks.

I got some Chemipure Blue to try, but so far 1/4 cup of ROX carbon every two weeks has been working. My PO3 has crept up a tad, so it might be time to see how the Chemipure impacts it.

Interesting. So far I have been washing it out in the old tank water when I do water changes.
I have never used chem pure blue. I do have sachem purigen on hand tho, would that suffice? (I run that in my freshwater tank) also, whats the difference of regular blue and elite?

jramy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. So far I have been washing it out in the old tank water when I do water changes.
I have never used chem pure blue. I do have sachem purigen on hand tho, would that suffice? (I run that in my freshwater tank) also, whats the difference of regular blue and elite?
I read on marinedepot that the elite is ok for fresh or salt, where blue is more specifically for reef? Green is new and for planted freshies which my main tank is lol. Anyone please correct if I am wrong.

jramy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Comparison Chart

Contents

Tank Type

Benefits

Chemi-Pure

Granulated carbon, ion exchange resinsAny light bioload freshwater
and saltwater aquarium
Clear and contaminant-free water

Chemi-Pure Elite

Granulated Carbon, ion exchange resins,
and granulated ferric oxide
Any medium-heavy bioload freshwater
or saltwater aquarium
with the added benefit of
long-lasting phosphate control

Chemi-Pure Blue

Extruded pelletized carbon, phosphate adsorption
resin, and organic scavenger resin
Higher pH tanks such as saltwater
reef tanks, African Cichlids,
Goldfish and Koi
with the added benefit of quick
phosphate control and organic
waste removal

Chemi-Pure Green

Extruded pelletized carbon, ion exchange
resins, and organic scavenger resin
Freshwater planted aquariumsClear and contaminant-free water with
the added benefit of organic waste control
without aggressive phosphate removal
which helps benefit plant growth

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Comparison Chart

Contents

Tank Type

Benefits

Chemi-Pure

and saltwater aquarium

Chemi-Pure Elite

or saltwater aquarium

Chemi-Pure Blue

Goldfish and Koi
waste removal

Chemi-Pure Green

Interesting. So what would you pick if its a heavy load mixed reef?? Lol thank you for the info btw very helpful.

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread! Can you take a closer picture of the middle chamber? I'd like to see how much room you have w/ the Tunze 9001 and the light clip. I have a Peninsula 15 coming and the chambers are the same depth but you have more width w/ the 20 cube. If you're tight then doing what you're doing may not be possible for the P15. Thank you.

OP
OP
DirkCourage

DirkCourage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread! Can you take a closer picture of the middle chamber? I'd like to see how much room you have w/ the Tunze 9001 and the light clip. I have a Peninsula 15 coming and the chambers are the same depth but you have more width w/ the 20 cube. If you're tight then doing what you're doing may not be possible for the P15. Thank you.
Sorry! I went ahead and pulled the skimmer the other day I’m afraid. It was a tight fit, not much room to maneuver. I’ve definitely turned into a “water change over skimmer” guy. It’s just not that big of a deal, and has additional benefits to your stability. On a 15, that task is even easier. Just my two cents.

OP
OP
DirkCourage

DirkCourage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Comparison Chart

Contents

Tank Type

Benefits

Chemi-Pure

and saltwater aquarium

Chemi-Pure Elite

or saltwater aquarium

Chemi-Pure Blue

Goldfish and Koi
waste removal

Chemi-Pure Green

Nice! Thank you!

OP
OP
DirkCourage

DirkCourage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re cool cleaning the sponge and it’s working then by all means keep using it. That filter media is a bit finer though, so doing both is probably even better.

The Chemipure stuff has some GFO-like media in it in addition to the carbon. My only take on it is that you may be pulling out more phosphate than you need to with something like that. There’s a tendency to want to set all this in order from day one. I think in many ways it’s better if you can be responsive to what your actual parameters are, at least that’s a lesson I’m taking away now.

jramy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry! I went ahead and pulled the skimmer the other day I’m afraid. It was a tight fit, not much room to maneuver. I’ve definitely turned into a “water change over skimmer” guy. It’s just not that big of a deal, and has additional benefits to your stability. On a 15, that task is even easier. Just my two cents.
Can you clear something up for me? I know of water changes and ato. But if I do a weekly water change that is I take say 3 to 4 gals out and then add freshly mixed 3 to 4 gal, that won't mess up my salinity? Salinity was an issue last ime intried this few years back lol

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you clear something up for me? I know of water changes and ato. But if I do a weekly water change that is I take say 3 to 4 gals out and then add freshly mixed 3 to 4 gal, that won't mess up my salinity? Salinity was an issue last ime intried this few years back lol

Technically a big salinity swing IS bad for the fish/coral...
I currently do roughly a 4g water change. I use two 5g buckets... the first bucket I premake my salt water mix. I add prime and an ph buffer to this mix. You should test for temperature and salinity, bringing it to close range as the current tank water. Then I use the second bucket to siphon out dirty tank water, trying to vacuum up detritus etc from the sandbed. I normally make the viewing area "clean"... and take out as much water as I pre-made. (I gauge the amount in the bucket as best I can since I dont do an exact measurement)... then I slowly pour the new water in the tank. If you measure the salinity during the various steps, you can easily correct it by adding more salt or water to the bucket. By doing this I dont see a huge swing in the salinity or temperature and the fish are happy. In 4 gallons it probably takes me 20-30 minutes tops. I also rinse out my filter media in the old tank water bucket.

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks. I totally agree about the husbandry. I just want to have that option later if needed. Great job!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back