Does my coral choice for my aquascape and equipment seem okay?

natattack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

New to the hobby and currently building my first tank, a 16 gallon mixed reef. Feel free to check my build thread for updates on that.

Equipment:
Waterbox clear mini 16
Seachem tidal 55
AI Prime 16 HD
Tunze Osmolator ATO
Sicce Voyager Nano
Eheim Jager 100W
**Maybe an Aquamaxx Bullet Protein Skimmer**

Basically wanted to check if my tank setup looked okay for the species of coral I wanted to keep and what modifications I might need to do in terms of dosing and flow to support them.

My vision is to start with some hardier LPS corals and rock flower anemones towards the bottom portion of my tank and then as the tank establishes in around 6 months to slowly add some hardier SPS species to the upper portions of my rock work.

I think since it is such a small tank regular water changes and maybe a chemical or two in the ATO should be more than enough to maintain adequate levels for my coral.

Let me know if there is anything else I should keep in mind!

Here is a picture of the tank!
1701225430985.png

Here is my livestock plan:
Invertebrates/Fish:
1x Pistol Shrimp
1x Blue Porcelain Crab
6x Nassarius Snails
2x Cerith Snails
1x Red Emerald Crab
1x Orange Spotted Shrimp Goby
1x Tailspot Blenny

And here is my coral stocking list:
Coral/Anemones:
2-3x Rock Flower Anemone (Sand Bed)
Trachyphilia (Sand Bed)
Favia (Sand Bed)
Chalice (Lower portion of rock)
Acropora spp. easier varieties (Upper Portion of rock near flow)
Pocillopora (Upper Portion of rock near flow)

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seems OK to me! RFAs are known to move less than other nems but can definitely still walk around keep this in mind as they might choose to walk into one of your corals haha Pocilloporas are great, but can be prolific and may spread more than you would like (can turn into free frags though), not saying you should not get them but I would choose wisely. Also probably worth looking into stylophora. if you mix the branching SPS I would give the acros the priority spots, highest light and highest flow.

I think the fish and critters seems OK though I am not super familiar with crab compatibility.

Hopefully others chime in. Tanks is looking good!

Last edited:
OP
OP
natattack

natattack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems OK to me! RFAs are known to move less than other nems but can definitely still walk around keep this in mind as they might choose to walk into one of your corals haha Pocilloporas are great, but can be prolific and may spread more than you would like (can turn into free frags though), not saying you should not get them but I would choose wisely. Also probably worth looking into stylophora. if you mix the branching SPS I would give the acros the priority spots, highest light and highest flow.

I think the fish and critters seems OK though I am not super familiar with crab compatibility.

Hopefully others chime in. Tanks is looking good!
Thank you so much for all the advice !

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back