05EBD8CB-B376-4F2A-96E9-2668454A8E1E.jpeg

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking awesome!

TBH maybe it makes no sense. But I feel a difference in the water from this to this:

1627971467344.png

1627971447404.png

that first shot was like "too clear".

I have crystal clear water too, but an established tank. I've never seen a dry rock tank that clear.

This second photo even seems like small bacterial particles can be seen. maybe I'm crazy. (i.e. it looks just a little bit cloudier)

dump in 3 cubes of mysis or about that equivalent of another frozen food.

Add like 5-10 hermits.

Lets see how it goes :).

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking awesome!

TBH maybe it makes no sense. But I feel a difference in the water from this to this:

1627971467344.png

1627971447404.png

that first shot was like "too clear".

I have crystal clear water too, but an established tank. I've never seen a dry rock tank that clear.

This second photo even seems like small bacterial particles can be seen. maybe I'm crazy. (i.e. it looks just a little bit cloudier)

dump in 3 cubes of mysis or about that equivalent of another frozen food.

Add like 5-10 hermits.

Lets see how it goes :).
Could be lighting or positioning. The lids are off so that may skew it. I already put two pieces of live rock in there. One of which is kinda hidden but the other is easy to see up there. I'm not sure about adding inverts until I know for a fact I'm getting life growing. Even a bit of algae growth or something. I might just scrape some QT algae onto the rock I have and just dump it in and see how it goes too.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be lighting or positioning. The lids are off so that may skew it. I already put two pieces of live rock in there. One of which is kinda hidden but the other is easy to see up there. I'm not sure about adding inverts until I know for a fact I'm getting life growing. Even a bit of algae growth or something. I might just scrape some QT algae onto the rock I have and just dump it in and see how it goes too.
Sure go for that.

but add a nutrient source. you might get Dino’s otherwise. which is life in reefing, but I’d rather have something my CUC would eat.

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got more and tbh, even if not talking about the rules of filtration, it just looks a lot nicer and has a lot more hiding places for fish. I'll get a photo.

Oh ya I agree 10000% it's better for fish and looks nice :D

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3 or 4... Still no algae growth I can see at least. Coralline's super slow so I'm not concerned about that but I still find it weird I don't even have dinos, cyano, or anything else at this point. I've heard dinos can appear overnight and still... Nothing. Feels kinda weird to have an issue with getting these in the first place.

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
46E0A42B-F277-493F-A8E4-1EC77ADA25A3.jpeg

Ooh could this be some algae growth? Its not on the wall or the glass behind BTW. Its in the tank. Not sure but could be good news!

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3 or 4... Still no algae growth I can see at least. Coralline's super slow so I'm not concerned about that but I still find it weird I don't even have dinos, cyano, or anything else at this point. I've heard dinos can appear overnight and still... Nothing. Feels kinda weird to have an issue with getting these in the first place.
Did you add any ammonia source?

I know they can come up on their own, but I’d still recommend adding something.

those rocks look like maybe they have a tiny bit of browning starting? Maybe just my bad eyes.

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add any ammonia source?

I know they can come up on their own, but I’d still recommend adding something.

those rocks look like maybe they have a tiny bit of browning starting? Maybe just my bad eyes.
i do have leftover ammonia from the dr tims pack so there's that. added a bunch of the quarantine gunk too and while the tank is still the same for the most part. that one brown splotch may be promising and i hope it grows.

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're talking about what's on the rocks then 100% you're on the right path I see it too.

Could be cyano or diatoms, looks reddish/brown.
1628310751732.png

No it's this little blotch on the glass. I checked and it's not something on the wall or glass on the outside. Not sure if I'm overreacting but I do hope this grows so... Yeah. Or it could be nothing XP.

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s a big tank.

id still just throw in 4 cubes of food and a CUC
i have some leftover ammonia from the dr tims cycling thing and i already have a few snails who somehow survived the water change in there. been dosing a bit of ammonia here and there too. trying not to go overboard though.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back