Disabling DOS when return pumps are off

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a somewhat "academic" question on how the APEX/DOS adapts a dose program in response to unplanned shutdowns ...

THE PROBLEM -
  • I am using a DOS unit together with a TRIDENT for controlled 2-part dosing. My 2-part solution is added to my sump. Normally, with both my return pumps running there is enough flow in the sump to prevent precipitation
  • I also use another DOS unit for ReefEnergy AB+ and Phyto ... both of which get dosed directly into the display tank. When I do so, I have the APEX shut down the return pumps for 30 mins to give my livestock plenty of opportunity to feed.
  • I also have a feed mode that shuts off both return pumps for 30 mins whenever I target feed my corals
  • However, I've noticed that - over an extended period of time - I end up getting precipitation in my sump as a result of my 2-part dosing program continuing to run whenever the return pumps are shut down
THE SOLUTION -

I simply created a virtual outlet that turns ON whenever both my return pumps are shut off, and then added a line in the program for the DOS to turn off the 2-part program whenever that virtual outlet is ON. It seems to work - my TRIDENT makes sure my Alkalinity stays within a very narrow range.

THE QUESTION -

How does the APEX deal with the small amount of 2-Part that DOESN'T get dosed whenever the program is interrupted by the return pumps being off? Does it simply "ignore" this amount and assumed it happened? Or does it "adjust" the remaining dosing rate for the rest of the program to compensate. Would it do this without the TRIDENT unit being installed?

The amounts of dosing that get "missed"when the return pumps are off (a maximum of 90 mins per day, but usually only 60 mins) is very small ... so I don't think it really makes a difference. Furthermore, given that the TRIDENT is controlling the total amount dosed each day, the APEX is adjusting the total amount to dose to maintain my target alkalinity anyway.

At the same time, I'm always interested to understand what's going on behind the scenes ... hence why I called this an "academic question".

Thoughts?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very good question and one I have wondered about for probably 2 years or more since I've been using my Trident.

I have a similar situation where I temporarily turn off dosing 2-part and also turn off my ATO about 5 minutes before each scheduled Trident test so the Trident sample water is not artificially oversaturated with 2-part or diluted with RO/DI water at the time the Trident runs the tests. I keep the 2-part and ATO off for about 15 minutes until the Trident is done testing. But I've always wondered how that impacts the Trident Controlled Dosing. I've slowly fine-tuned my dosing schedule over time so it balances out, but I always wonder how the Apex factors in the temporary pause on dosing when it does its calculations on the Trident Controlled Dosing.

This is probably a question best suited for Neptune Support directly as opposed to opinions that will likely be posted here on R2R.

OP
OP
TexanCanuck

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll do that ... in the meantime, your feedback has given me another thought ...

Can you use the Trident to control the dosed amount over multiple intervals?

Using your problem as an example ... if, instead of using a single dosing interval for Soda Ash (for example) that is controlled by the Trident, can you split up the target total dose into four intervals (and thus have a "blank" interval whenever the Trident samples water) and then have the Trident "control" each interval?

Here's an example I just created for my Alkalinity ... instead of using a single Trident-controlled interval that doses 30ml over 24 hours, I split it up into 4 intervals that leave an hour either side of when the Trident takes a measurement, and set up a "control" of +/- 35% ... and where all 4 intervals still add up to 30ml ... will this work?

1640926559951.png

Just curious ... I know that when you run the pre-configured task for Trident-controlled dosing it only creates a single interval.

Does this work?

Last edited:

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll do that ... in the meantime, your feedback has given me another thought ...

Can you use the Trident to control the dosed amount over multiple intervals?

Using your problem as an example ... if, instead of using a single dosing interval for Soda Ash (for example) that is controlled by the Trident, can you split up the target total dose into four intervals (and thus have a "blank" interval whenever the Trident samples water) and then have the Trident "control" each interval?

Here's an example I just created for my Alkalinity ... instead of using a single Trident-controlled interval that doses 30ml over 24 hours, I split it up into 4 intervals that leave an hour either side of when the Trident takes a measurement, and set up a "control" of +/- 35% ... and where all 4 intervals still add up to 30ml ... will this work?

1640926559951.png

Just curious ... I know that when you run the pre-configured task for Trident-controlled dosing it only creates a single interval.

Does this work?
Sorry for the late reply...I didn't see this post until today.

Yes, you can have multiple intervals all adjusted by Trident Contolled Dosing. When you run the task, the last question is whether to dose more during the day and less at night, and if you choose that option it will create 3 separate intervals.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back