Disappointing PAR Readings - New Lights Needed?

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To help further ameliorate your concern about your lights, Dana did a MACNA talk a year or two ago about lighting and his research showed coral growth actually topped out around or a little above 100 par and over 200 corals actually shut down to protect themselves. I believe BRS has the video in their YouTube play list.

OP
OP
dmw913

dmw913

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To help further ameliorate your concern about your lights, Dana did a MACNA talk a year or two ago about lighting and his research showed coral growth actually topped out around or a little above 100 par and over 200 corals actually shut down to protect themselves. I believe BRS has the video in their YouTube play list.
I'll check it out. Thanks!

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I didn't read through this whole thing. I see you guessed the corals didn't die from low PAR. This is correct. 80 PAR can keep corals alive. They will not grow and likely be dark brown though. A coral dying from lack of light is usually, a change from normal color to brown, followed by stn. Pale or lightening of the coral is too much light or a water chemistry issue .
Btw this is general info that will be true almost always. There are exceptions tho. If I take an acropora from a tank it's been in for a long time under 600 PAR and put it under 80 PAR I'm not convinced in this situation the coral will survive.

Last edited:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I didn't read through this whole thing. I see you guessed the corals didn't die from low PAR. This is correct. 80 PAR can keep corals alive. They will not grow and likely be dark brown though. A coral dying from lack of light is usually, a change from normal color to brown, followed by stn. Pale or lightening of the coral is too much light or a water chemistry issue .
80 depends on the coral and amount of time.

refridgeRAIDER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I belive he prefers snark brands.

Lol [emoji38], quick question do you have personal experience with the sb reef lights. Starting a (hopefully if all goes as planned) sps dominant 40g IM Nuvo (24x16x19) and looking for some lighting suggestions. A lot of people recommend AI Hydra 26 or 2 primes. Would love to hear any suggestions you have!

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol [emoji38], quick question do you have personal experience with the sb reef lights. Starting a (hopefully if all goes as planned) sps dominant 40g IM Nuvo (24x16x19) and looking for some lighting suggestions. A lot of people recommend AI Hydra 26 or 2 primes. Would love to hear any suggestions you have!
Metal Halide hybrids from reef brite tell him salty

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They'll work fine. I ran them for a few months but wanted to use my canopy and that just wasn't possible with the SB Reef fixtures (they need to sit higher off the water to blend well). The fit and finish of the boxes is poor at best but you cant expect much more for the price. If you want to run a canopy, you'll need something with about 12" under the hood to work. Oh, I'd avoid the white fixture; it really shows blemishes (I tried the white ones in an effort to help them disappear against the white walls).

Last edited:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a serious note, the LET retro kit is pretty nice for the price. Comes with decent reflectors and is dimmable for an extra $5.
Agreed.

Although I'm not a t5 dimmer fan. To long in the lighting profession.

Ati and geissamn but budget concerns and ati scratch and dent.

I have some experience w sbreeflight yes

June 3rd
IMG_1876.JPG

July 8
IMG_1966.JPG

A 16in sb will light a 20x24 pretty evenly with all the lenses in at 14 in above the tank.

Sorry bout the hijack;Sorry

Metal Halide hybrids from reef brite tell him salty
And only reefbrights MH if you really want it go big!!;) And ;Stig

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They'll work fine. I ran them for a few months but wanted to use my canopy and that just wasn't possible with the SB Reef fixtures (they need to sit higher off the water to blend well). The fit and finish of the boxes is poor at best but you can expect much more for the price. If you want to run a canopy, you'll need something with about 12" under the hood to work. Oh, I'd avoid the white fixture; it really shows blemishes (I tried the white ones in an effort to help them disappear against the white walls).
Or pull the lenses , takes it from directed 40 ,60,90 to 160 degrees.
And cut top of the canopy like my Ai sol's
IMG_1887.JPG

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back