Disaster!

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I went into the fish room to do a couple things and water was all over. NO signs of a leak anywhere. I checked it all everything looked good. I was even thinking something in the ceiling was leaking since the top of the RODI storage tub had water. I cleaned up for 3 hours at least with maybe 20-30 gallons. I still did not see any issues with the system so just for fun I turned it back on. Check out the video for what I found. Thankfully this only happens under pressure or else I would have been looking at 100s of gallons and an insurance claim. I am buying a water alarm TODAY. This is at least the 4th or 5th flood. The unit is 10 years old plus so I'll need a new RODI as well. When it rain, it pours, literally.

carpetlayer719

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I went into the fish room to do a couple things and water was all over. NO signs of a leak anywhere. I checked it all everything looked good. I was even thinking something in the ceiling was leaking since the top of the RODI storage tub had water. I cleaned up for 3 hours at least with maybe 20-30 gallons. I still did not see any issues with the system so just for fun I turned it back on. Check out the video for what I found. Thankfully this only happens under pressure or else I would have been looking at 100s of gallons and an insurance claim. I am buying a water alarm TODAY. This is at least the 4th or 5th flood. The unit is 10 years old plus so I'll need a new RODI as well. When it rain, it pours, literally.

Good catch! I think I’ll go check mine.

OP
OP
ReeferBob

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still damp this morning I added a fan to the mix. I ordered the below water alarm.

I think I can just get the RODI canisters and plan on replacing all 3 of them. If one went, the rest I am sure can.

alarm

1634920839406.png

LuisPerez711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about that. User error always seems to sting less because it could have been avoided. True equipment failure is always heart breaking.

Why replace the whole RODI unit? You can just replace the canister itself right? Or is this a chance for an upgrade?

OP
OP
ReeferBob

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about that. User error always seems to sting less because it could have been avoided. True equipment failure is always heart breaking.

Why replace the whole RODI unit? You can just replace the canister itself right? Or is this a chance for an upgrade?

I figured it was old and beat anyway. I don't trust any of the canisters at this point. I can get 3 new canisters for $45. I do need a new membrane as well that is another $20. I can get a similar complete unit for $170 or so. Not sure what I'll do yet.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured it was old and beat anyway. I don't trust any of the canisters at this point. I can get 3 new canisters for $45. I do need a new membrane as well that is another $20. I can get a similar complete unit for $170 or so. Not sure what I'll do yet.
If you're in the market, these are affordable and good quality. I have the 6 stage 150gpd unit from them which is $135. I believe they're out of Texas.

OP
OP
ReeferBob

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks those prices are really good. I just bought 3 new housings though from Amazon under $15 each. I also did a post-mortem on the leaking canister and it has a crack (2 cracks actually) at the bottom. Not sure how this happened other than just age and stress from being under pressure.

1634924710478.png

1634924720425.png

OP
OP
ReeferBob

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow. Can you move the whole thing 2.5 feet to the left so that if it ever happens again it will drain into the sink?

That would have been a great idea had I done it initially. Hind-sight! I have the water alarm now on that area of the floor and with the new housings, hopefully this never happens again. I am wondering if my pressure is too high. I may need a step-down pressure valve before the RODI. My pressure in this house is crazy high.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would have been a great idea had I done it initially. Hind-sight! I have the water alarm now on that area of the floor and with the new housings, hopefully this never happens again. I am wondering if my pressure is too high. I may need a step-down pressure valve before the RODI. My pressure in this house is crazy high.
Pressure is a possible culprit. I sprung a leak in an O-ring and had to use a pressure regulator on my setup. Water from the street is around 135 psi and most of those canisters are listed as handling up to 120 psi.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
ReeferBob

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my nice, new, filter canisters yesterday. I was hoping they would fit into the existing caps so I didn't have to swap over the fittings but they are a totally different size. No biggie though I'll get 'er done.

OP
OP
ReeferBob

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just replaced the cracked canister. No issues everything from the old one swapped over. I inspected the other two and they had no cracks at all so I did not replace them and will keep the other 2 new ones as spares. I also replaced the batteries in both the TDS meters (it has never been done in over 10 years) and seems like my membrane isn't doing much. I haven't replaced it in over 5 years so that makes sense it is totally worn out. I also left the DI resin out since it is 100% depleted as well. I ordered a new membrane and new DI resin. I had spare charcoal and stage 1 filters so once I get the other new filters I should be hopefully back to 0 TDS.

1635168346586.png

1635168318526.png

1635168328736.png

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Bob! Glad you traced that down fairly quickly. I've seen that happen with folks who have the units in unheated spaces that take a freeze. Never saw it on one in a heated space though. I do know the canisters are not designed to take high pressure.....the one reason any pressure pumps get installed after the canisters. That said, I don't see a pressure pump on your system, but you mention you have high water pressure. If too high, get a regulator and turn it down. Otherwise, make sure your flipping out your filters yearly to assure they don't clog and cause a high pressure situation.

On a positive note, at least it wasn't tank water, which would of impacted corals and fish.

carpetlayer719

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just replaced the cracked canister. No issues everything from the old one swapped over. I inspected the other two and they had no cracks at all so I did not replace them and will keep the other 2 new ones as spares. I also replaced the batteries in both the TDS meters (it has never been done in over 10 years) and seems like my membrane isn't doing much. I haven't replaced it in over 5 years so that makes sense it is totally worn out. I also left the DI resin out since it is 100% depleted as well. I ordered a new membrane and new DI resin. I had spare charcoal and stage 1 filters so once I get the other new filters I should be hopefully back to 0 TDS.

1635168346586.png

1635168318526.png

1635168328736.png
Good work Bob! Again Reminds me to check my rodi.

OP
OP
ReeferBob

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news. My new RO filter came in and brought my TDS down to 3. I also replaced the DI resin and now am at 0 TDS once again. Universe equilibrium has been restored. Kinda makes me wonder why I even have the DI though.

20211101_165946.jpg
20211101_165951.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back