DiscoBiscuit's 200 gallon chain jewelry box

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how far you got on the stand, but the king of DIY does a good job describing and showing how he builds stands. up to 48" with no middle brace. You can see that here. I emulated his design for my 55g "el natural" and its the nicest and cleanest stand I have built. It is also extremely strong. You can see that process here. The trim isn't perfect but in my defense cutting that stuff is hard haha. As you will see, that build is still in progress.

If you want another tool, check out craigslist! I got a used Makita miter saw that is a champ, rotates as needed for $90.

You'll have to show us what all the bulkheads and valves etc are for! And I prefer using PH's as opposed to closed loop. It's much simpler IMO and the PH's look nice, esp the MP series.

Last edited:

MOREEFIN88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(What are y'alls opinions of closed loops for more flow? I'm debating whether to get some gyres to up flow or plumb a closed loop.)

im not sure if the bottom or the back of sca tanks is tempered glass but you need to check if you drill for cl.
i'm going with one maxspect xf250 gyre pump only (5300gph) to program to an apex classic.
i just don't feel like risking drilling the glass... if you already have experience with drilling 1/2 inch glass it's a lot better idea... but with the xf250 at $160 it's hard to beat some of the powerhead options imo

again I'm new to the hobby and this is just my opinion.

OP
OP
DiscoBiscuit

DiscoBiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got her out of the Tahoe!

24862157_10214575478200679_7660073959584053474_n.jpg

24900003_10214575478320682_3275810639181295454_n.jpg

OP
OP
DiscoBiscuit

DiscoBiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how far you got on the stand, but the king of DIY does a good job describing and showing how he builds stands. up to 48" with no middle brace. You can see that here. I emulated his design for my 55g "el natural" and its the nicest and cleanest stand I have built. It is also extremely strong. You can see that process here. The trim isn't perfect but in my defense cutting that stuff is hard haha. As you will see, that build is still in progress.

If you want another tool, check out craigslist! I got a used Makita miter saw that is a champ, rotates as needed for $90.

You'll have to show us what all the bulkheads and valves etc are for! And I prefer using PH's as opposed to closed loop. It's much simpler IMO and the PH's look nice, esp the MP series.

Thanks sooo much for the tips. My stand didn't turn out true square and any help is much appreciated.

OP
OP
DiscoBiscuit

DiscoBiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking this 80 gal Deep Blue rimless frag tank for my display refugium/frag tank. I want a couple mangroves.

img_0589-jpg.302377

OP
OP
DiscoBiscuit

DiscoBiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered two Maxspect Gyre xf250's. I figure 10,000 gph will be be enough flow!

MOREEFIN88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice, progress. i saw you are going to be using an apex controller. are you going to hook up the mx250's to the apex controller? i think brs did a vid on programing it, and show all code needed.

OP
OP
DiscoBiscuit

DiscoBiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice, progress. i saw you are going to be using an apex controller. are you going to hook up the mx250's to the apex controller? i think brs did a vid on programing it, and show all code needed.
I think I need a maxspect breakout box to hook it up to the apex, but yea that all sounds right.

OP
OP
DiscoBiscuit

DiscoBiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up 2 brute plastic 32 gal cans to set up the salt mixing station. My third a360 kessil came in. Ordered an h80 for the sump. Full RO/DI system came in. Moving into another one of our buildings with a stronger floor to set up the system.

OP
OP
DiscoBiscuit

DiscoBiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I finally found my preferred LFS. I've been to like 5 or 6 places at this point, but never out at the beaches (which is where I should have started).

I sent a question to the store on Facebook and the owner was back to me within a cpl of hours. They are getting 2 of these in on Friday!!

BFT-50F_Low_Boy_Frag_Tank-1.jpg

And I think I'm gonna snag them both!

OP
OP
DiscoBiscuit

DiscoBiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I live in Florida I'm look at generators to protect my investment when the power goes down as it does many times a year here. The battery backup will be an extra level of insurance incase of a short outage, but to be honest I've always talked about needing a generator anyway for the home.

I think I'm going to go with this one having done some research.

http://www.westinghouseportablepower.com/shop/all-products/igen4500/

Westinghouse-iGen4500-02.jpg

OP
OP
DiscoBiscuit

DiscoBiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the UPS Tracking my sand and rock have finally gotten to the Hub here in Jacksonville.

Now to go grab some bleach to prep for the rock cure!!! I can't believe its almost here!!!!!!! So Stoked!!!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back