Discosoma's 'trunk'

scruggs1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0014.JPG
I inadvertently fragged these discos when I got them. One of them floated off and attached itself behind my rock work. I just noticed how it appears to be using a 'trunk' to get closer to the light. At what point would it just 'let go' and try to move to a better location?

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kind of hard to put a number on that IMO, but if you can reach the mushroom with ease you might want to give it a hand. A razor blade or even a metal spatula would work. Just slide it down the glass and hopefully the mushroom will detach. GL.

OP
OP
scruggs1

scruggs1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kind of hard to put a number on that IMO, but if you can reach the mushroom with ease you might want to give it a hand. A razor blade or even a metal spatula would work. Just slide it down the glass and hopefully the mushroom will detach. GL.

Yeah...I suppose that was a dumb question on my behalf. What I would like to know is if in fact, it will release from it's present position and try to relocate itself, or will it just stay there and stretch/struggle unless I move it? It will be almost impossible to scrape it off unless I move the rock work, which isn't necessarily a big deal, but then comes the struggle of trying to get it to attach to something again without it floating off and ending up right back where it is.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kind of hard to answer that too. It's basically all up to the mushroom. It might detach tonight, then again it might stay put for months on end. Just kind of in limbo. If you have a long stick or something that can reach back there you could try and knock it loose. It might not be attached that well. Make sure to turn off all of your pumps though. If it get's lost among the rocks just use a power head and see if you can flush it out. GL.

reeftanker17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah...I suppose that was a dumb question on my behalf. What I would like to know is if in fact, it will release from it's present position and try to relocate itself, or will it just stay there and stretch/struggle unless I move it? It will be almost impossible to scrape it off unless I move the rock work, which isn't necessarily a big deal, but then comes the struggle of trying to get it to attach to something again without it floating off and ending up right back where it is.
I'd leave it and see! Kinda like an experiment.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back