Disease ID on Goby

kschell44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed this film on my goby. Has been in tank for a few months no problem. Any idea what it may be? Ick velvet or something else and how do I go about treating a tank full of corals?

IMG_9725.jpeg

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ick, but it's hard to tell. Can you get a more clear and larger picture?

Try to hold the camera level and straight to the glass and use the manual focus to target the fish.

How is the fish acting? Parameters of tank? Other fish showing any signs?

Treating tank for ick means removal of ALL fish (not just your goby) and letting it go fallow. Ick doesn't affect corals.

OP
OP
K

kschell44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only this goby, all other fish have nothing similar, didn’t get a pic but here’s a video

Attachments

• IMG_9724.mov
    14.7 MB
OP
OP
K

kschell44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReefSquad , thoughts?

@kschell44 , what are some specifics on the fish? Any new additions into the tank lately? How long has the tank been up? It looks more like ick than velvet to me
Fish acting normal, was just going around doing my coral feeding and spotted it. Did add a firefish 3 weeks ago. Did not QT, all other fish are spotless and are normal. Tank has been up for a few years now

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish acting normal, was just going around doing my coral feeding and spotted it. Did add a firefish 3 weeks ago. Did not QT, all other fish are spotless and are normal. Tank has been up for a few years now
That firefish could be the culprit, especially if you didn't quarantine

saltwater-ich-treatment-in-reef-tank-ich-lifecycle.jpg

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the other hand, you could've already had ick and the addition of the firefish just stressed out the goby and caused a reaction.

Either way, if it's ick you're whole tank is infected and the only cure is a fallow period of at least 75 days per the reproduction stage in my last post

OP
OP
K

kschell44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the other hand, you could've already had ick and the addition of the firefish just stressed out the goby and caused a reaction.

Either way, if it's ick you're whole tank is infected and the only cure is a fallow period of at least 75 days per the reproduction stage in my last post
Will set up a qt set up today, is there a product you recommend for treating the fish?

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The life cycle of ich is not cut and dry, there is a lot of timing variation. Also, the safe chelated copper products take three days or so to work.

There is the tank transfer method, TTM where you sort of “outrun” ich and its life cycle by moving fish from one tank to a new sterile one three times at just the right interval. That does work in many cases, but it has drawbacks.

30 days of coppersafe or copper power works well, close to 100% of the time, so it’s what I generally suggest for folks.

Jay

Please see the above from @Jay Hemdal out of another post with a similar ick treatment question.

You'll want to make sure your qt also has no sand (or minimal if you have burrowing fish). Tbh, I don't know what impact even a small cup of sand for those species can have during ick treatment.

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please note that even if copper treatment is for only 30 days, your display tank STILL needs the 75 day minimum fallow period.

If you put your treated fish back into the DT after 30 day treatment there's a very good chance they'll just get ick again from your DT.

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just saw this post from last month that cropped up. Tons of details on this site for ich (I realized I've been spelling it "ick" since last night, it is icky afterall) management.

Also, you posted in the general reef discussion thread. Maybe cross post over to "Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis" forum below. You'll get more attention from more qualified individuals that have decades in fish illnesses

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2 cents - it looks exactly how ich shows on this genus of goby.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back